Byetta

Snorkmaiden

Oh wow that is fantastic! What a boost! I will certainly be staying in touch, the forum is such a sound place for information and advice. What level has your HBA1c been ? They haven't taken any bloods from me since I started Byetta....the consultant was not happy.....I think I'm going to have to become far more proactive in my diabetes management and not wait for the professionals to tell me to do things. Thanks for your support.
snorkmaiden

Silvercat

The last Hba1c I had before starting Byetta was 8.8 then 6 weeks after Byetta it had dropped to 7.2. Still not low enough but I am hoping lol! I go back to the hospital diabetic clinic at the end of August abd will get my blood test done in time for that. Just hoping its gone down a bit more.
Where in the UK are you Snorkmaiden? I am in Manchester.
Yes this forum is great and full of useful and informative information.

Snorkmaiden

I'm in Worcestershire just south of Birmingham. I've been trying to figure out the best eating plan for me....but am getting very confused (it's my age rather than IQ I fear) as to what I should be doing. Low carb? low GI? Is there a thread or info on the site to help? I'm trying to find my way around but keep getting side tracked! :oops:

sixfoot

Snorkmaiden simply follow and of the Carbs threads and there are many of them. You will find that a lot are following low carb by virtue of reducing the intake and including lo Gi ingredients to slow down that absorbsion of what carbs there are. You will find lots of links either in Discussions or Food

Congrats on your readings

Dave P

Darren

Hi everyone,

I am just about to start on Byetta (first injection will be this evening) I am in between being a Type 1 and Type 2 diabetic and have been since being diagnosed 9 years ago when I was 26. I have had really bad control since being diagnosed (mainly because I haven;tchanged my lifestyle) so they have tried many different treatments. I have been on insulin since day one, Metformin as well for the last 7 years. I currently have an HBa1c of 11.3 so you will see why my levels need to come down. I am also severely overweight at 20st so I am really hopeful that Byetta is going to help me in many ways.

Is there anyone on Byetta, Insulin and Metformin treatment out there? Have you any info you can share with me? Alos is there anyone who was severely overweight before taking Byetta and how has it affected you?

Many thanks in advance and what a great board this is, I am so glad I have found it.

Darren

sixfoot

Darren hi and pull up a pew, If you are t2 and currently on insulin, The normal route is that you switch to Byetta and maintain or reduce your oral meds. For T2 diabetics the issue is also insulin resistance where glucose isnt used as fuel but stored as fat. To that end reducing your carb intake has a marked effect on BS which in turn has beneficial effect on blood pressure etc. If you read the carbs threads on here and there are many you will soon pick up on the gist of it.
It is a soemwhat confusing subject however so take your time and then come back with all your questions and you will have some

Good luck
Dave P

Snorkmaiden

Thanks for the advice both. I phoned the GP today and he put me back on 5mcgs so I've eaten this evening and so far so good. Phew! Will be checking out the carbohydrate threads and concentrating hard.......where's the paracetamol??? :shock:

Darren: During the time I've been on Byetta I have lost 3 stone which has averaged a stone a month..... I still am severely overweight, started with a BMI of 53 (if I remember correctly) but am going in the right direction so, welcome to the club, you've found the best place for help and support!

snorkmaiden (yes it really is Dave)

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Darren said:
I am just about to start on Byetta (first injection will be this evening) . . . I have been on insulin since day one, Metformin as well for the last 7 years. I currently have an HBa1c of 11.3 so you will see why my levels need to come down. I am also severely overweight at 20st so I am really hopeful that Byetta is going to help me in many ways.

Is there anyone on Byetta, Insulin and Metformin treatment out there?
Hi Darren,
I am a bit late in responding so you will have started your Byetta treatment by now (the first jab at least). I believe there is a tiny number of patients on byetta and insulin, but only where that is the only possible combination for them. The manufacturers of byetta have never tested it for use with insulin, so that is fairly uncharted territory. I say "fairly" because quite a few in the US (where byetta has been available for 2 years longer than in the UK) are on your combination, but in EVERY case they have found that they have to drastically reduce the insulin dose.

The reason for this is that the way byetta works is to encourage your pancreas to produce more insulin in response to the food you eat. So, its not rocket science to see that the extra insulin, plus whatever would be your normal insulin dose, is likely to give you far more insulin than you need and you could very easily end up in hypo-land. Did whoever prescribed the byetta for you explain any of this?

sixfoot

Snorkmaiden ........... this does make me smile :D very brave !!!!!

I have been on Byetta since april,it works and i have lost weight --23lb to date but it does plateau out regularly. Have been reading Gary Taubs book " DIET DELUSION". I think i may have been shooting myself in the foot as have dumped carbs as in Bread - pots etc but have always liked fruit so still have some. Of course it is mostly carbs isnt it so a little bit more adjustment should see me getting some new jeans by end of summer.

Dave P

Snorkmaiden

Sorry about this guys...Dave.....what exactly is wrong with snorkmaiden :wink: It give the reader an immediate and accurate picture of the sender!! :shock:

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi Dave,
I have also been ploughing my way through Diet Delusion. It is very heavy going but quite an eye-opener. I wonder if you have also read the 2 atricles that Gary Taubes wrote that pushed him right into the spotlight a few years ago, "What if its all been a big fat lie" and "The oiling of America". Both are tremendous reads and the "oiling" article in particular blows the lid on the underhand activities of those with a vested interest in ensuring that we all keep on eating all the things we shouldn't.

If you haven't read them, then I suggest that you do - just google the titles - the articles are freely available.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Snorkmaiden said:
Sorry about this guys...Dave.....what exactly is wrong with snorkmaiden :wink: It give the reader an immediate and accurate picture of the sender!! :shock:
Don't worry about it - if Moomin loves you then so do we!!

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Gary Taubs two articles were written for the Science Magazine and New York Times respectively, so are written in a more readable journalistic style than his book. The book goes far further than either of the articles could do and covers many more health issues than the articles.

sixfoot

Dennis i havnt although have heard of them but didnt know it was one and the same. i havnt done so much reading in ages. The fruit thing is an oversight that i have now corrected. So maybe more ( or less ) to follow.

Snorkie babe :D In my younger days the clangers were a cult thing almost an alternative society, and as dennis says if the Moonmins love you then i shall snigger no more. After all i dont want a soup dragon sitting on my doorstep do i ?

Dave P

Jacqhar

Hi Guys
Just had the most horrendous 4 days. Been away 2 days team building and 2 day course. We stayed at a hotel which is part of a well known chain so was expecting a bit of luxury and some understanding of my needs. Would have been better off camping!! I know that Byetta does not need to be stored in the fridge but prefer to keep it in one if possible - before arriving at the hotel I had rang ahead and requested a fridge the duty manager had said it should not be a problem as all rooms had a mini bar. When I arrived I was told I would have to pay extra for a key!! The food over the 4 days was terrible even though we all requested more veg or salads none appeared. :evil: Again I advised I was on a restricted diet and would prefer less carbs especially at breakfast but was ignored for 3 of the mornings. The training providers complained to the hotel that the meals were not balanced so fruit was provided during breaks not ideal but better than Danish pastries.

Just really glad to be home. My b/s levels have suffered a little but not as much as they would have before Byetta and the best news of all is I have lost 5lbs in 10 days!!!

Dave - have started saving for the Bikini and may even be able to wear it in November if this carries on. 8)

One last thing up to today I haven't had any pain injecting but both injections today have hurt - I've not changed anything I am doing so can't understand it - any suggestions?

Jac

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Jacqhar said:
One last thing up to today I haven't had any pain injecting but both injections today have hurt - I've not changed anything I am doing so can't understand it - any suggestions?
Hi Jac,
I occasionally find that an injection is painful - I think it may be where there is a nerve or capillary vein close to the surface. What I tend to do is try the chosen site first by pressing the needle just a tiny fraction into the skin and if I can feel it then I know an injection at that spot will hurt (and when it hurts it will often leave a bruise). So I just move the needle half an inch to the right or left and try again, and usually this will find a spot where you don't feel it at all.