Am I managing this right?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Howdy folks,

Just wanted some advice re blood sugars and exercise.

I was under the impression we had to watch our sugar levels when we exercised as they have a habit in going up because the liver pumps more into our blood because we can’t produce it to well from the food.?

Now exercise I am limited as I can only do swimming as I broke my back parachuting when I was in the army so I have mobility issues. Now I’m a big lad, 142.6kg on diagnosis with subs at 52 then 72 in August. Now lost 12kg since August as do two to three sessions in the pool doing 800mtrs a session.

Now this is where I’m having issues come exercise, I have something to eat before I go swimming (around an hour) and for instance today sugars were 9.2, 32 lengths later I check and my sugars have bombed to 3.2mmol/L what am I doing wrong? I thought sugars would end up going up with exercise?

Cheers in advance

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’m on one Glidipion (pioglitazone) 15mg in morning. Was on metformin then metformin SR then sitagliptin but had issues with them so dr put me on the pioglitazone.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, I would discuss these readings with your GP.

The low reading could be because of, the meds, where you might need a dosage reduction. Or you could be using too much energy and your glucose energy levels are not enough and your liver is not giving you the boost that it should. Or you are getting low readings because of a rogue reading, it is always best practice to retest if you get a reading that is not usual. Or you could have another condition or meds that counter your other meds you are on for your back or other problems.

What did you eat?

Going through the mill a bit, and I'm not talking your football club?

Reactions: Sunderlandafclad
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes it’s been a battle which has so far seem me off work for four weeks so far which I could have done without and about to have a total elbow replacement in two weeks so it could have happened at a better time lol. As for the Team well that’s a whole different ball game if you pardon the pun lol, less said about them at the moment the better lol! Also tested a few times a few minutes apart and all read similar reading bar a change .1 etc. Also this is every time I do my swimming, (twice a week at 1/2 mile each session of 30mins) despite having carbs before hand, weetabix, bread etc bloods always low. As for a lower dose on meds, I believe the pioglitazone is the lowest dose at 15mg once a day.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You might just be reacting to the carbs rather than the exercise - I can't eat high carb foods at all and keep my BG steady - so breakfast is a few lightweight carb foods and protein and fat - once I get the metabolism running along nicely I can go on all day, but revving it up with carbs means that I nose dive onto the bed once they are burnt off.
It was always put to me that I ought to be eating cereals for breakfast - 'for energy' - by people who needed to sit down and eat their sandwiches and Mars Bar half way up the slope, when I was just getting into my stride.
When I used to go out crewing on yachts there was always the joke about tossing me a chunk of raw meat before starting out so I didn't chew bits off anyone. That was back before beef was thought dangerous.

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Howdy folks,

Just wanted some advice re blood sugars and exercise.

I was under the impression we had to watch our sugar levels when we exercised as they have a habit in going up because the liver pumps more into our blood because we can’t produce it to well from the food.?

Now exercise I am limited as I can only do swimming as I broke my back parachuting when I was in the army so I have mobility issues. Now I’m a big lad, 142.6kg on diagnosis with subs at 52 then 72 in August. Now lost 12kg since August as do two to three sessions in the pool doing 800mtrs a session.

Now this is where I’m having issues come exercise, I have something to eat before I go swimming (around an hour) and for instance today sugars were 9.2, 32 lengths later I check and my sugars have bombed to 3.2mmol/L what am I doing wrong? I thought sugars would end up going up with exercise?

Cheers in advance

Based on my own personal experience it depends on what's going on in the background - for me endurance activities. be it hiking, cycling, swimming, rock climbing or even a long brisk walks - my BGs always drop but if I was doing the same thing but within the context of a competition or if something happened unexpectedly - like a coyote jumps in front of me, or dog decides to chase after me (stuff like that) my BGs would always go up as a reaction to the Adrenalin rush that I had just experienced from the given situation.

I don't know how common this is with other people living with diabetes but it consistently happens to me.

I remember once years ago I was on a canoe trip and we decided to shoot some rapids, my BGs had been running in the low 4s all day because of the endurance paddling (we would try to do 45 KMs a day). Anyway, we should not have tried going down the rapids because we almost didn't make it and interestingly that shot of fear driven Adrenalin had raised my BGs by 10 points in a matter of seconds. Quite amazing how that can happen!

S

slaxx

From exp, BG high after exercise only lasts maybe 1-2hrs. I do my yoga at night after dinner and before sleep, test within an hour afterwards and always land in the 180-250 range, sometimes higher (i don't have a converter, sorry). By morning i get between normal-low range. So it can also be questions of:
1. When do you test?
2. When and what were the last meal and snack before the swim?
3. How active/vigorous is the swim?
4. How long have you had this routine?
5. How long have you been on your current meds?
Lots of things to consider. Do take care! I find it is safer to be a bit on the high side than the lows.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
From exp, BG high after exercise only lasts maybe 1-2hrs. I do my yoga at night after dinner and before sleep, test within an hour afterwards and always land in the 180-250 range, sometimes higher (i don't have a converter, sorry). By morning i get between normal-low range. So it can also be questions of:
1. When do you test?
2. When and what were the last meal and snack before the swim?
3. How active/vigorous is the swim?
4. How long have you had this routine?
5. How long have you been on your current meds?
Lots of things to consider. Do take care! I find it is safer to be a bit on the high side than the lows.

I generally test about an hour and a half before swimming session after an hour or two after breakfast, then have a snack about 45mins before swimming of say. Usually something like a Grapefruit, a sandwich or a couple of mini pork pies etc then test again about 20 mins before I start swimming and generally around 8-9mmol at that point.

Then do my swimming session which is not massively energetic but a little gentle stroll in the pool if you know what I mean but generally do 32 lengths/800metres in around 25-28mins then do another test about 5-10mins of swim.

I do this exercise two to three times a week, only been on the current (my 4th after probs with others) meds a week or two.

S

slaxx

It sounds possible you are experiencing what @walnut_face shared. Also possibly still adjusting to the med. Im not familiar with how strong/aggre pioglitazone is, but I think your routine (the blood test before and after, snacks, etc) is detailed and good. Maybe lessen the swim laps for now, or eat more? It's the only thing i can see that you can adjust for now, or get new meds again. You seem to be able to fully control your BG and i think that's commendable.