Can anyone advise ?

waldo

i to all, I am recently diagnosed type 2 diabetic and as yet not receiving any medication but going for another blood test a week today and then seeing the doctor to be advised.
I have bought a testing kit and check my bg levels every morning and it is between 9 and 12. I am 53 weighed 70kg since I was 21, but because of this diagnosis have been careful what I am eating, even though I eat well, I play racket ball twice a week, go cycling twice a week and have done this for years, therefore not carrying any excess weight !
I do like a drink but have not had any for a week to see if it makes any difference to my tests, and it actually seems higher without a few beers !!!
In fact, last night before I went to play a racket ball match my reading was 7.6 and when I returned it was 9. something, can anyone explain ?
Everything I seem to be reading is saying it is about loosing weight and exercise, if I eat any less and exercise more I will probably dissapear !!! I eat virtually no sugar in my diet, also have no symptoms, only found out about this disease by having a well man blood test mainly to check liver and prostate !
Thanks for taking the time to read this, any thoughts would be appreciated.
Waldo

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Waldo!

I can't give you any advice as I'm still struggling to understand all this myself, but one of the experienced members will come along and point you at some advice soon.

In the meantime, I do sympathise. I had a very healthy diet and lifestyle and not a scrap overweight and got diagnosed Type 2 while being checked for something completely different. It's quite a shock isn't it? You do need to be careful about weight loss. My weight fell badly and I am now underweight and trying very hard to put some weight on while controlling blood sugar level. It's a difficult balancing act. All the general advice you get is about trying to lose weight. I found that cutting out a lot of carb meant I couldn't keep the weight on. Anyway, I've started eating avocado and nuts and pouring olive oil dressings on my salads. It seems to be doing the trick and helping me maintain my weight and gradually increase it without increasing my BGs - maybe you'll need to do something similar. I find that a glass of red wine in the evening seems to cause my BGs to be lower the next morning - I don't know why but I'm not complaining!!

Good luck!

Smidge

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Although most T2s appear to be overweight to some extent, some of us are not overweight. So some of us try to add weight whilst others fight to lose it - confusing! T2 causes and symptoms vary from person to person but in general exercise and keeping carbs under control appear to help most people plus medication if your GP advises. It's not just sugar, you need to watch all carbs as well as sugar and measure to see the effect on you that specific carbs and quantities have. In general alcohol does not make blood sugar worse and for many it reduces it a little. You need to take account of the effect of any alcohol on any medication you take.

Rivig

waldo said:
i to all, I am recently diagnosed type 2 diabetic and as yet not receiving any medication but going for another blood test a week today and then seeing the doctor to be advised.
I have bought a testing kit and check my bg levels every morning and it is between 9 and 12. I am 53 weighed 70kg since I was 21, but because of this diagnosis have been careful what I am eating, even though I eat well, I play racket ball twice a week, go cycling twice a week and have done this for years, therefore not carrying any excess weight !
I do like a drink but have not had any for a week to see if it makes any difference to my tests, and it actually seems higher without a few beers !!!
In fact, last night before I went to play a racket ball match my reading was 7.6 and when I returned it was 9. something, can anyone explain ?
Everything I seem to be reading is saying it is about loosing weight and exercise, if I eat any less and exercise more I will probably dissapear !!! I eat virtually no sugar in my diet, also have no symptoms, only found out about this disease by having a well man blood test mainly to check liver and prostate !
Thanks for taking the time to read this, any thoughts would be appreciated.
Waldo

Well the BG rise after exercise was probably due to your liver putting out more sugar, maybe unless you were drinking some high energy (high sugar) sports drink :shock: you weren't were you :) & yes alcohol does lower BG that's why type ones especially have to watch the booze before bed coz of the hypo's. Hope it helps a bit :)

mrsmousemat

According to the Tesco website, Lucozade Lite has the following ingredients:

Water,Glucose Syrup ,Citric Acid ,Acidity Regulators (Sodium Citrate, Calcium Carbonate) ,Flavouring ,Preservative (Potassium Sorbate) ,Sweeteners (Aspartame, Acesulfame K) ,Colour (Anthocyanins) ,Vitamins (Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, B6, B12) ,Contains a source of Phenylalanine

I had always assumed that these lite sports drinks had no sugar or glucose in them.

Cowboyjim

Welcome to the world of the seemingly atypical DM T2!
I am not surprised by your situation because I have the same problem of weight loss vs diet. The system I think is geared to helping more typical DM people - how to lose weight.

When you get on metformin it will problem make things worse.

The other cleft stick is avoiding fatty food - at our age they want you to go on statins for cholesterol etc... I really really wish someone would publish some solid info guide for us types too.

Someone suggested protein shakes to me the other day - urgh. I eat loads of nuts but not peanuts, and have two breakfasts... fruit at 8 then a fry up at 11 ish for more protein... no bread tho. It's not really working coz I probably use it all up when I bike ride every day.

All I can suggest is you eat whatever you like (maybe in smaller portions more frequently) then measure your glucose according to the schedule published elsewhere here. The weird thing about DM, well one of them, is how some foods affect people in different ways.

Unlike other illnesses DM is something YOU can do something about for yourself so consider it a challenge and be determined to beat it, well, control its extremes. Then report back here to share your findings. 8)