Boooorrred with my diet!!!

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Forgive me all, but I feel like having a rant. I am getting really bored with my diet and have been looking for items to add to it. I read that butternut squash has only got a glycaemic load of 3, so I thought I'd give it a try - 7.7 two hrs after eating, which is way higher than I want my levels to be - it did taste very sweet - so back to the drawing board. I have seen some lovely recipes, etc., on the forum, but for me cooking is a chore which I keep to a minimum - I probably only cook a couple of times a week, other than scrambling eggs for breakfast. As I don't eat red meat or poultry, the bulk of my diet consists of avocados, smoked fish, cheese, salad stuff, olives, nuts and a little fruit, yoghurt, etc. I know there isn't a magic wand and that my options are probably to continue as I am and put up with it, or force myself into the kitchen - though what I really want is my own chef - any takers? :depressed:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just had a look through the low carb recipes I’ve tried and thought these might suit you, they are really easy to make, just chuck everything in a bowl, mix, spoon into a muffin tray and bake! Eat them hot with vegetables or salad, or eat them cold in a packed lunch.
https://badtuber.com/keto-tuna-melt/

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We just had baked haddock with ginger and chilli tonight (well along with some asparagus, scallops and bacon) but just chuck the fish in the oven for 20 minutes with the chilli and ginger in a bit of melted butter and voila yummy quick meal.

Reactions: ringi and Rachox

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Spiralized courgettes cooked with frozen, pre-cooked shrimp. In the cookbook it is called "Greek style shrimp scampi." The whole preparation takes about 15 minutes. The catch is that you do need to spiralize the courgettes at least an hour ahead, and let them dry out in paper towels, before proceeding with the prep.

I'm not sure I can post the actual recipe here because it comes from a recently published book and it would be copyright.

My wife and I, since my T2D diagnosis, do a lot of "spiralizing" because it is relatively quick and easy and really yummy. The book we use is "Inspiralize Everything" by Ali Maffucci, published here in America. There are surely British equivalents or the US book may be easy to find in UK anyway.

I am told that "spiralizing" was a fad in the UK a few years back and that nowadays, it is easy to find "spiralizers" in charity shops because the fad passed so quickly. But even new ones are not expensive (about 20 pounds sterling).

Edited to add: A couple of days ago I saw Nigella Lawson prepare stuff with her spiralizer. I looked up the brand and it was several hundred quid, just for a glorified cheese grater basically!

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
they are really easy to make, just chuck everything in a bowl, mix, spoon into a muffin tray and bake!
thank you, they do look quick and easy and tasty - i will grit my teeth and get into the kitchen, it looks like it could be worth it.

Reactions: Rachox

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Try adding double cream to the butternut to make a soap, maybe the cream will lower the BG response. (One issue is that the carb count for soap is often given for half a serving, as they are assuming you having it as a starter.)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgive me all, but I feel like having a rant. I am getting really bored with my diet and have been looking for items to add to it. I read that butternut squash has only got a glycaemic load of 3, so I thought I'd give it a try - 7.7 two hrs after eating, which is way higher than I want my levels to be - it did taste very sweet - so back to the drawing board. I have seen some lovely recipes, etc., on the forum, but for me cooking is a chore which I keep to a minimum - I probably only cook a couple of times a week, other than scrambling eggs for breakfast. As I don't eat red meat or poultry, the bulk of my diet consists of avocados, smoked fish, cheese, salad stuff, olives, nuts and a little fruit, yoghurt, etc. I know there isn't a magic wand and that my options are probably to continue as I am and put up with it, or force myself into the kitchen - though what I really want is my own chef - any takers? :depressed:

Hi Kathy - My appetite for cooking can vary on a day-to-day basis, so I like a variety of options.

Several months ago, I discovered a website, www.yummly.com which, once registered allows you to store your preferences in order to narrrow the recipe suggestions it makes. Those preferences can be dietary (e.g. low carb, gluten-free, veggie, or whatever) ease, level of spicing or complexity. It also allows one to state any allergies.

By doing all of that I am able to return recipes that pretty much match the sorts of things I can or want to eat. Like any aggregation site, it isn't perfect, but I have found some great fun things on there. I then save to www.copymethat.com which allows me to store recipes from all over the internet in one place.

I'm sure you'll find a way forward.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Do you eat mushrooms? Lots of recipes out there that are are quick and easy and often freezer safe. Good luck.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I am told that "spiralizing" was a fad in the UK a few years back and that nowadays, it is easy to find "spiralizers" in charity shops because the fad passed so quickly. But even new ones are not expensive (about 20 pounds sterling).
The spiralizer blades are lethal watch out when cleaning them.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The spiralizer blades are lethal watch out when cleaning them.

Yes! I use a toothbrush for that, and it chews through a toothbrush pretty fast. I then air-dry it, don't try drying it with a tea-towel.

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
thanks very much for all the suggestions - i'm out of the country over the next fortnight, but shall experiment when i return.

caroline_92

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use an old fashioned (and cheap) moulinex hand grater, to grate raw vegetables like courgette as I really don't need any more kit such as a sprialiser...

A few other suggestions for you of things to eat that are easy to cook, that you should be able to find recipes for if you need them:
- roasted vegetables/tomatoes with herbs, garlic, lemons etc.
- tapas style dishes eg prawns or other seafood with manchego cheese, red pepper, lemon juice grilled for a few minutes
- frittata of vegetables and eggs cooked in a large frying pan
- baked eggs on a bed of spinach cooked in the oven
- baked peppers stuffed with chilli/kidney beans and mushrooms
- fish chowders
- thai veg curry made with thai curry sauce and coconut.

This is the sort of thing I eat, when not eating meat!
Good luck :)

Reactions: Serena51