Multivitamins

1954jessy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I have been looking at multivitamin tablets. I was diagnosed 18 months ago and am type two and diet controlled.

Do other members recommend taking multivitamins.

Reactions: ickihun

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My doctor recommended vitamin D she said everyone should take it especially in the winter as we do not get enough sunlight to absorb vitamin D I also swear by a high strength Cod liver oil capsule daily both me and my husband take them and have been for about 25 years we are 78 and 85 and no arthritis which I think the cod liver oil has helped to prevent

Reactions: carina62

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take vitamin D3 (weekly high dose capsule ) CoQ10 and chromium picolinate (both daily when I remember!)

Last edited:
Reactions: bkr and carina62

Billy7764

Type of diabetes
Type 2
May I please ask if anyone knows where I can get B12 at a reasonable price. The ones I have seen are £4.99 and this seams a lot for s vitamin.

TIANDB

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
May I please ask if anyone knows where I can get B12 at a reasonable price. The ones I have seen are £4.99 and this seams a lot for s vitamin.
Hi Billy. If a Home bargains store is near you or otherwise wherever you can purchase the Tubes with usually 20 Effervescent Energy tablets Mine from home bargains were 89p They have 344% B12 ( 8.6 ug ) along with Vit C 595% Thiamin B1 945% B6 507%
and More..
I have a daily magic 500ml Juice adding apple cider vinegar, Cinnamon sprinkle, Ginger sprinkle, Nutmeg and Ceyanne pepper.. O and Robinsons sugar free Juice to flavour.
To add Cod liver oil tabs High strength are cheap and give 100% Vit D 50% Vit A..

Best luck Dude..

Last edited:

SimonCrox

I take B12 and D cos I have a proven significant deficiency, which is a little different to most UK residents - OK - most are short of vitamin D.
B12 is available from HOlland and Barrett and they often have good offers. I would take 100 mcg per day (I actually inject 1000 mcg every three months). Metformin decreases the absorption of B12, so extra oral B12 is probably a good idea.
Vitamin D comes in several sorts. D2 / ergocalciferol is not as good as D3 / cholecalciferol. It is a fat soluble vitamin, so I take capsules with the D3 dissolved in oil. It is tempting to just take a big dose now and then, but this actually increases rather than decreases the risk of fractures and falls. SO to keep healthy, 800 units each day. There is some evidence that D3 improves insulin sensitivity and D3 lack is associated with neuropathy.

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Natures best multivitamins are good, recommended in fact. Im also trying their Flourish pre-biotic too, as I read it can assist with gut health which in turn can help my blood / glucose readings, yet to see any great change for that one.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think taking extra vitamins without having a deficiency is a waste of money.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I take double daily supplements due to taking orilstat, metformin and low carb diet which are known for depleating electrolytes. I take 1000mg of VitD3 and after xmas will purchase r-ala again.
My blood test shows healthy levels of b12 due to the double multivitamins. Iron level is good too.
Found out recently pork is a great replacement for lost potassium from no bananas.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I take double daily supplements due to taking orilstat, metformin and low carb diet which are known for depleating electrolytes. I take 1000mg of VitD3 and after xmas will purchase r-ala again.
My blood test shows healthy levels of b12 due to the double multivitamins. Iron level is good too.
Found out recently pork is a great replacement for lost potassium from no bananas.
Do I smell bacon?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Do I smell bacon?
I had a pork chop yesterday but I do eat bacon once a week normally. You made me giggle.
I've always loved bacon. Far more than sausage, like my sisters. If it was a choice between bacon or sausage. Bacon always won!
Friday - bacon will be on the menu, for sure.
Eating loads of chicken lately.
What vit and minerals are chicken good for?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a pork chop yesterday but I do eat bacon once a week normally. You made me giggle.
I've always loved bacon. Far more than sausage, like my sisters. If it was a choice between bacon or sausage. Bacon always won!
Friday - bacon will be on the menu, for sure.
Eating loads of chicken lately.
What vit and minerals are chicken good for?
The only pork I tolerate is processed. Bacon, or sausage. Not lots of greases. Tenderloins or chops I get gut aches. Go figure.
Chicken is lean if you eat white. Tryptophan, b vitamins. I just always mix up my proteins for variety. Reds, white and dark poultry and a variety of fish and hoping for the best.