Changing LCHF diet, putting back some fruits and rice

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive been following LCHF diet since being diagnosed. Two of my biggest enemies are mostly sugar, and anything with wheat flour in it. I never have those. Some that I "cheat" with lately are fruits.. very rarely, small amount that I carb count.

I find that eating has been a struggle for me lately. I dont feel well eating LCHF all the time anymore (thats also the reason I have some fruit once a month). I dont feel like eating sugars or wanting to cheat, thats not the case. Im feeling brainless, if that makes sense. I feel like I have zero energy, Im exhausted all the time and just cant think straight or focus. Im on LCHF for about a year now and I feel completely drown out.
So for a change I started allowing myself very small amount of fruit occasionally. First I had some granate apple (8gr carbs). I felt so energetic, I felt healthy in mind and my physics too. I do want to say that whenever I have some treats like this I always exercise right after or exercised before (that I cant do while on fully LCHF because I have so little energy then). I do feel that exercising is the key here. I can easily have 10-15 gr carbs without bolusing if I do small exercise regularly. I was on a dance class on friday this week, after then I had some oat-fruit bar snacks to make sure I dont go too low on my way home. I was 5.2 when I got home, then had omu-rice for dinner and went to bed with 5.4. I also do cycling and go on walking around in the mountains sometimes.

Another thing that I decided to put back into my diet is rice. I used to have bulgur instead of rice, but I thought... I, my family always had rice, my japanese dad, grandparents, cousins. They all have rice and its like 70% of their meals. They are completely healthy, Japan doesnt hear about diabetes much, but they eat rice every meal..? I eat rice now too, no bulgur, and I feel good. I measure the amount I can have with my usual 5-6units of insulin. After meal my BG stays around 5.5-6, and I feel alive and not like a zombie all the time.
I also eat less fat now, high fats always made me feel tired. I eat less meat, meat didnt make me feel quite well either. Im thinking to try having a bit more fruit or more often maybe when I do exercises or study very hard (heavy focusing seems to drop my BG too, is it only me?). By fruit I mean such as pear, granate apple.. I believe these are on the better side, I try to eat not too sweet ones. Im experimenting. Im slowly putting these in to my new kind of diet and see what they do, but so far I feel good. Still on LCHF kind of but I would call it maybe...Low Carb Moderate Fat and some extra boost for when I need it! (Still not so good with namings.) I think I ll never wish to eat sugar and wheat flour again in my life, coz those do spike me a little and I dont really crave them anyway. But trying to do something about this tiredness all the time.

This is just my experience lately, thought I would share it. Hope everyones having a good evening/good day ! X

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ive been following LCHF diet since being diagnosed. Two of my biggest enemies are mostly sugar, and anything with wheat flour in it. I never have those. Some that I "cheat" with lately are fruits.. very rarely, small amount that I carb count.

I find that eating has been a struggle for me lately. I dont feel well eating LCHF all the time anymore (thats also the reason I have some fruit once a month). I dont feel like eating sugars or wanting to cheat, thats not the case. Im feeling brainless, if that makes sense. I feel like I have zero energy, Im exhausted all the time and just cant think straight or focus. Im on LCHF for about a year now and I feel completely drown out.
So for a change I started allowing myself very small amount of fruit occasionally. First I had some granate apple (8gr carbs). I felt so energetic, I felt healthy in mind and my physics too. I do want to say that whenever I have some treats like this I always exercise right after or exercised before (that I cant do while on fully LCHF because I have so little energy then). I do feel that exercising is the key here. I can easily have 10-15 gr carbs without bolusing if I do small exercise regularly. I was on a dance class on friday this week, after then I had some oat-fruit bar snacks to make sure I dont go too low on my way home. I was 5.2 when I got home, then had omu-rice for dinner and went to bed with 5.4. I also do cycling and go on walking around in the mountains sometimes.

Another thing that I decided to put back into my diet is rice. I used to have bulgur instead of rice, but I thought... I, my family always had rice, my japanese dad, grandparents, cousins. They all have rice and its like 70% of their meals. They are completely healthy, Japan doesnt hear about diabetes much, but they eat rice every meal..? I eat rice now too, no bulgur, and I feel good. I measure the amount I can have with my usual 5-6units of insulin. After meal my BG stays around 5.5-6, and I feel alive and not like a zombie all the time.
I also eat less fat now, high fats always made me feel tired. I eat less meat, meat didnt make me feel quite well either. Im thinking to try having a bit more fruit or more often maybe when I do exercises or study very hard (heavy focusing seems to drop my BG too, is it only me?). By fruit I mean such as pear, granate apple.. I believe these are on the better side, I try to eat not too sweet ones. Im experimenting. Im slowly putting these in to my new kind of diet and see what they do, but so far I feel good. Still on LCHF kind of but I would call it maybe...Low Carb Moderate Fat and some extra boost for when I need it! (Still not so good with namings.) I think I ll never wish to eat sugar and wheat flour again in my life, coz those do spike me a little and I dont really crave them anyway. But trying to do something about this tiredness all the time.

This is just my experience lately, thought I would share it. Hope everyones having a good evening/good day ! X

Miszu - Please don't feel guilty or anything else because you're altering your diet. If one way of living isn't really working for you, then it makes sense to amend it.

Assuming you are comfortable adjusting your insulin doses, as a T1, then you have the flexibility to tweak Good luck with your experimentation, but I'm sure you probably already know it's wise to test, test and test a bit more, during your period of adjustment.

I hope it settles quickly for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: miszu

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Miszu - Please don't feel guilty or anything else because you're altering your diet. If one way of living isn't really working for you, then it makes change to amend it.

Assuming you are comfortable adjusting your insulin doses, as a T1, then you have the flexibility to tweak Good luck with your experimentation, but I'm sure you probably already know it's wise to test, test and test a bit more, during your period of adjustment.

I hope it settles quickly for you.
Thank you for so kind reply, yep I make sure to test more often.
I dont wish to change the insulin amounts tho, It was hard to get it down to 5-6 units and I only want to go lower if I need to change it! Interesting thing is that I have more carbs than before but I need less insulin. And I think thats because of the more exercise I do.

Hope ur doing well urself too! X :))

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I do best in keto but my hubby does horrible. As you said, low energy and brain fog. That’s me with carbs. We all need different diets. If your bg is good, no worries. Just test test test. And time boluses accordingly. I’m 80% fat but mostly avocado. Not too much fat at one time. I’d still say even though my diet is 80% fat that I’m moderate fat. I don’t gob it anywhere

A salad with chopped avo, a drizzle of olive oil and some protein is 80% fat, 15% protein and 5%) carbs.

If you’re drainex with no energy than you have to find something else.

Reactions: ziggy_w and miszu

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do best in keto but my hubby does horrible. As you said, low energy and brain fog. That’s me with carbs. We all need different diets. If your bg is good, no worries. Just test test test. And time boluses accordingly. I’m 80% fat but mostly avocado. Not too much fat at one time. I’d still say even though my diet is 80% fat that I’m moderate fat. I don’t gob it anywhere

A salad with chopped avo, a drizzle of olive oil and some protein is 80% fat, 15% protein and 5%) carbs.

If you’re drainex with no energy than you have to find something else.

Indeed, we all are different. I like reading about different perspectives, they give me new ideas and help me see things from another angle. I also peaked in the avocados topic a little before and actually u inspired me to go buy some. I dont know when they are ready to eat tho if I should wait until they get softer... They been waiting on the counter for a week now.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for so kind reply, yep I make sure to test more often.
I dont wish to change the insulin amounts tho, It was hard to get it down to 5-6 units and I only want to go lower if I need to change it! Interesting thing is that I have more carbs than before but I need less insulin. And I think thats because of the more exercise I do.

Hope ur doing well urself too! X :))

Thanks, miszu - I'm doing well thanks.

You'll only know what happens with your insulin, once you've given it a go. From what I can gather you are relatively recently diagnosed? If that's the case, you may still be honeymooning a bit, to add to the mix.

I'v never had to use insulin myself, but from reading I've done, it's more important that your bloods are staying in whatever range you've been set, rather than focusing too hard on how many units of insulin you might be taking.

I sometimes see people ask if they're taking high doses of insulin, but from what I understand is the only time that's critically important is if you're you're having lots of hypos, and conversely you don't want to be having lots of proper hypers.

I'm so pleased (so far, so good), I've not had to do that juggling with cabs, insulin, exercise and all the rest of it. It must be such a steep learning curve.

Fingers crossed for you.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Indeed, we all are different. I like reading about different perspectives, they give me new ideas and help me see things from another angle. I also peaked in the avocados topic a little before and actually u inspired me to go buy some. I dont know when they are ready to eat tho if I should wait until they get softer... They been waiting on the counter for a week now.
Awesome! They’re ready as soon as they have a little give from tip to tip and in the middle. If they’re soft they’re gross. Once they have give put them in the fridge. It stops ripening but they still get a bit softer. If they’re brown and spongy they’re over ripe. Eventually you’ll get a feel for them.

I like just a little sea salt but you can get fancy with guacamole, smoothies etc. I got lazy and actually prefer them right out of the skin and not smashed unless ready to eat right away.

I buy mine bright green and they darken as they ripen. Dark is not good. Just a little push to softness.

Last edited:

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Awesome! They’re ready as soon as they have a little give from tip to tip and in the middle. If they’re soft they’re gross. Once they have give put them in the fridge. It stops ripening but they still get a bit softer. If they’re brown and spongy they’re over ripe. Eventually you’ll get a feel for them.

I like just a little sea salt but you can get fancy with guacamole, smoothies etc. I got lazy and actually prefer them right out of the skin and not smashed unless ready to eat right away.

I buy mine bright green and they darken as they ripen. Dark is not good. Just a little push to softness.

Oh nice, gonna try them for dinner today ! They should be ready. :)))

JeanCL

Oh nice, gonna try them for dinner today ! They should be ready. :)))
I always like to have a backup plan/avocado just in case the avo isn't eatable! I enjoy them with low GI bread (Burgen or local bakery multiseed loaf, and butter!) Enjoy!

Reactions: miszu

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
LCHF diet doesn't work for me.

I tried it for 5-6 weeks and I just suffered from total loss of energy, loss of electrolytes and minerals that I could hardly walk and nearly died at home.

I switched back to eating brown rice and that gives me a bit of energy but I am now playing catch up for 5-6 weeks of lost energy.

May I suggest to eat carbohydrates even in small amounts during lunch and dinner to get your energy levels back up.

Just make sure your BG levels doesn't spike up so be careful with portions of carbs.