HGV class 2 with type 1

Davie_sett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello i was just wondering if there is anyone here with a HGV licence becouse im considering trying to get one i know its possible with type 1 but im just not sure how difficutlt it is or if it would be worth it

Deanoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes ;)
Here is some information from this website:

Diabetes and driving HGVs and PCVs
If your diabetes is treated with diet and/or diet and tablets, you can hold a licence to drive either a large good vehicle (LGV) or a passenger-carrying vehicle (PCV).

If your diabetes is insulin-treated, you will automatically lose the entitlement to drive vehicles within:

• the C1/C1+E class (including categories C1, C1E, D1, D1E, C, CE, D or DE)
This includes vehicles between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes with a trailer, up to a combined weight of 8.25 tonnes.

However, you can apply to be assessed individually to drive these vehicles, in which you must meet a number of conditions:

• No episodes of hypoglycemia at the wheel within the last 12 months
  • Receive an assessment from a diabetes consultant d at least once a year
  • Regularly test your blood glucose levels, especially before and around times of driving
  • Have stable blood sugar control on insulin for at least a month
  • Have no other conditions that would invalidate an application for the license
  • Sign a declaration to follow doctor’s decisions and report any significant changes in your condition to the DVLA

d blundred

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Here is some information from this website:

Diabetes and driving HGVs and PCVs
If your diabetes is treated with diet and/or diet and tablets, you can hold a licence to drive either a large good vehicle (LGV) or a passenger-carrying vehicle (PCV).

If your diabetes is insulin-treated, you will automatically lose the entitlement to drive vehicles within:

• the C1/C1+E class (including categories C1, C1E, D1, D1E, C, CE, D or DE)
This includes vehicles between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes with a trailer, up to a combined weight of 8.25 tonnes.

However, you can apply to be assessed individually to drive these vehicles, in which you must meet a number of conditions:

• No episodes of hypoglycemia at the wheel within the last 12 months
  • Receive an assessment from a diabetes consultant d at least once a year
  • Regularly test your blood glucose levels, especially before and around times of driving
  • Have stable blood sugar control on insulin for at least a month
  • Have no other conditions that would invalidate an application for the license
  • Sign a declaration to follow doctor’s decisions and report any significant changes in your condition to the DVLA
I used to be a hgv driver on insulin u av to fill numerous forms in once u pass that u av to go and c DVLA consultant and 3 mths ov readings and if they pass you they will let you know in bout 7 weeks it’s a long process bout 6 mths it took me first time and this as to b done every 12 mths hope this helps

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I have class 1 and am on insulin and carry hazardous chemicals

They biggest pain is that the license need renewing every year

Also you have to be very careful to keep 3 months of glucose records I missing reading and you will lose your license