Diabetic Mania

Phillweaver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Type 2 Diabetes that's what I dislike!!
I am usually a pretty level headed sort of person but since being diagnosed I am finding my temper seems to relate quite directly to high BG.
I also find that I tend to rant a little more and I find it increasingly difficult to gauge my response to confrontation.
Has anyone else experienced this?

D

Deleted Account

Unfortunately, this is a common response to high BG.
I guess it's just another good reason to keep our BG down.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I am usually a pretty level headed sort of person but since being diagnosed I am finding my temper seems to relate quite directly to high BG.
I also find that I tend to rant a little more and I find it increasingly difficult to gauge my response to confrontation.
What is your blood pressure doing lately?

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I would say that NO ONE should underestimate the effect of shock on behaviour, even if you're not feeling shocked. It may simply be your mind's way of coming to terms with your diagnosis. I'm due for heart valve replacement next year and have been warned about an increase in irascibility while recovering (anger ? moi ?).
I'm not religious but love visiting (and photographing) cathedrals. You've got a lovely one in Hereford. A great place to de-stress.
It will pass eventually.
Geoff

Reactions: woodywhippet61

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find its low sugars that result in me getting more easily angry - one of the signs Im going hypo that other people have noticed over the years is that I can become “ a right stroppy mare!” ( or maybe just more of a stroppy mare than usual!)

Reactions: woodywhippet61

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Yes - I've been able to pinpoint a behavioral change with me when I hit 12-14. Oddly enough any higher than that or lower than that I seem to be back to my normal self, it just seems to be that range.
The behavioral change has gotten me in to trouble in the past as I'm normally a very calm relaxed individual but when I hit that range, I'll lose my temper and my tolerance for stupidity becomes non existent.
As a result I do my best to stay out of that 12 - 14 range. And when I catch myself feeling just a touch angry I'll test myself and if I'm in that range take corrective action. Just another thing to be concision of ... LOL

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
When I’m low I am very irritable. For hours even after coming back up. And I get very weepy and cry. The hypo hangover....

I rarely go high but if I’m higher than my norm I get anxious and wired.

Fun times, right?

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only thing I noticed before diagnosis was an increasingly short temper, @Phillweaver - very uncharacteristic for me as I'm usually calm and patient - and several somewhat startled people were on the receiving end of a full-on rant. Hopefully, as time goes on, you'll find you're back on an even keel (I'm not as volcanic as I was). @librarising has a great suggestion for de-stressing: I find quiet country churches (or spectacular cathedrals (Ely is my favourite)) wonderful places for 'rebalancing'. There are some amazing churches in Herefordshire.

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
yeah I still get moody if high or low. I have people who challenge me nicely as to "am I eating ok" and that is usually enough to make me think twice. It has taken time to work out what's what.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Crying at nothing lately.... told its due to skipping meals so bgs not perfect at mo.
That was psychologist for bariatric surgery today.
Spot on I'd say.
Back on track as of now!

No anger, just had tears.
Hopefully once back to perfect bgs it will be a thing of the past. I'm halfway there after a bleep. :)
Sound familiar for other females instead of anger?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Crying at nothing lately.... told its due to skipping meals so bgs not perfect at mo.
That was psychologist for bariatric surgery today.
Spot on I'd say.
Back on track as of now!

No anger, just had tears.
Hopefully once back to perfect bgs it will be a thing of the past. I'm halfway there after a bleep. :)
Sound familiar for other females instead of anger?
Yes, tears before anger. And impatience