Victoza

dawniet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Baked beans.
Good afternoon. Last week I was prescribed Victoza (duped the Skinny Injection) and on 8th December 2017 I have hospital appointment to learn how to inject etc. I enquired after a diet to follow in conjunction with taking this new medication - but my Diabetes Nurse said he didnt know about diets. I have seen a Dietician before at the hospital and she advocated any diet which I had previously lost weight on!!!
I was just wondering if anyone has taken this medication and if so which diet they followed.
Any advice would be very gratefully received

Diligent500

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
I dislike being diabetic and two heavy I am 80kg and want to get down to 50 kg very soon.
Hi Dawnjet,

I am on insulin and Victoza too as my b.s. are high in 20 or 30s sometimes.

I have to go bk on the 12th dec to see consultant ECT to see how much weight I've lost lol.

I think I've lost a bit on the low carbohydrate diet
Meat n veg fruit ECT.

Diligent500.

hill4332

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I tried Victosa and was ok on the lower dose -lost weight and be came down,then went to next dose up and it all went in reverse. Now on insulin and trulicity and still no better ,bs readings at night around 16 and around 7 in morning before breakfast. Was taught at the gps how to inject - piece of cake tbh. From what I gather trulicity is same but only one injection per week .

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I am on 1.2mg of victoza though not on Insulin.
I was told it was a wonder drug for helping me lose weight. I did lose weight in the first 3 weeks. I got weighed last week, have put on 4kg. In six months. It does help me feel full up to around 5pm, then onwards, I am starving

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Forgot to say, my bs levels have come down

Rabra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just started Victoza, 6 days now (still 0.6ml), but the phone call from my doctor around 10 days ago, offering some Gastric thing, jolted me into action anyway.
I've largely ignored my type 2 for 4 years, but now it's time to do something about it.
A lot to lose, but in the past 10 days, I've not missed any Metformin, and drastically changed my eating, resulting in a 1 stone weight loss so far, but a long way to go.
I've had no bread in 10 days, cut right back on crisps, sweets and biscuits, and gave up alcohol for now (I drank a lot). I've started walking a lot more too.
Eating wise, I'm using lettuce leaves as wraps, plenty of salad, occasional fruit instead of sweets and crisps, plenty home made soup and any meats are 5% fat. There's always chicken breasts in the freezer too
Plenty home cooking, bolognese, chilli, curry, liver and onions, roast veg (easy on the potatoes), sausage casserole and tonight was burgers.
Breakfast I'm having things like square sausage (5% fat) and onion, egg mayonnaise or cooked meats wrapped in a lettuce leaf with some grated cheese and mayo.
The diet is low carb, but not to the extent that I'm following the low carb programme to the letter.
The above is get me started, and I'll find more meals as I go along so it doesn't become boring.