FreeStyle sensor problem

jimmysmith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Woke up this morning and tried to scan my sensor only to get back a Sensor Error stating that glucose reading is unavailable and to try back in 10 minutes.
Any advice or is a call to Abbot in order?

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’ve had this before and it’s been fine after 10 minutes. I think others have said their sensor doesn’t recover so see what happens and call if it’s saying the same thing.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had it happen a few times and recovered. Once it happened and got worse losing quite a few hours out of the last 24, and Abbott replaced it. Great service.

Lucyq

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I used to have this problem all of the time, I started moving the sensor further to the back of my arm and didn't have a problem :)

jimmysmith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ended up ringing them and, after a bit of a lengthy conversation, they are sending me a replacement which is lovely. Slim chance it'll arrive before christmas but there is a chance

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Woke up this morning and tried to scan my sensor only to get back a Sensor Error stating that glucose reading is unavailable and to try back in 10 minutes.
Any advice or is a call to Abbot in order?
I have had two of them do this to me. One got better in the 10 minutes and the other on said to put a new sensor on since this one has ended. Wait it out and then phone Abbott if it doesn't pop up.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Yes happened to me quite a few times too - just left it and sure enough it came back online again later on, haven't needed to replace for this reason yet though.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I get it a fair bit with bad sensors. If it does it 2 or 3 more times it will most probably fail in the next 24hrs. At least that is my experience. You are lucky they are replacing it. I have had 3 fail out of 9, one in less than a day. Unfortunately in Australia there is no customer service. They happily record the stats, but no replacements.

Gabrielle_Tai

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
These is one of the reason i do not consider switching to freestyle libre. I heard it have a high failure rate compare to other CGM in the market. Too bad other CGM in the market have a very high start up cost compare to libre but the running cost is lower if you knew how to push the sensor last past 7 days(Dex G4/G5).

Jeremy_Wood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is one of the more minor issues I've had with the Libre, @jimmysmith .

I've been using it for 6 weeks and have decided to revert to my old finger-stabbing Expert meter. I'm going through a phase of intensive testing and really need to keep an eye on where my bloods are regularly throughout the day. I'd thought the Libre would be ideal for this but it's just not accurate enough. At worst I've found it's been out by up to two mmols. I once read 5.3 and when I checked on the Expert I was actually 3.4. Bit of a difference!

I've had the Sensor Error message a few times and it's always gone back to normal after an hour or so. a bit annoying when I want to know what my levels are NOW. I've also had problems with the sticky pad coming away and inexplicable gaps in the graph.

I'm not saying the Libre's not great - it's bloomin' marvelous it lots of ways, but in terms of reliability of readings and performance it's not where I need it to be at the moment. Perhaps as it picks up in popularity they might release the Libre2, with accurate readings, better waterproofing, bolus advice, a cloaking device and an in-built laser cannon!

J

Reactions: TonyBlue

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
This is one of the more minor issues I've had with the Libre, @jimmysmith .

At worst I've found it's been out by up to two mmols. I once read 5.3 and when I checked on the Expert I was actually 3.4. Bit of a difference!
J
The Libre lags normally by about 15 min, but like with everything D it varies from person to person. I had 2 strips same batch well looked after and well within date, one read LO, the other HI, so the strips are not always accurate either.

Reactions: dbr10

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to add my response, the libre has been accurate and rarely gives any issues for me. Very happy with it (I swim a few times a week and don[ use any additional adhesive)

Jkoko56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had the occasional message but each time it's cleared itself. The comparisons with my blood sugar readings have been good. No issues with adhesion. I've only had one which would not start up properly and this was immediately replaced.