Should we be taking Aspirin then?

DazG

I have just been watching the news, I know a few diabetics take aspirin, but is it something we should all consider?

My doctor mentioned putting me on aspirin when I was diagnosed, tho she hasnt mentioned it since :roll:

Im not saying we should take it without medical advice, but is it worth asking for it from the Doctor?

ally5555

I would speak to the doctor and get them to prescribe it as I haven't looked at the info but the dose may be different.

I cannot take it as I am allergic to aspirin and some people to get gastric bleeding from it so best to talk to the experts. There may also be some drug interactions.

hallii

My Doc put me on it 8 years ago, 75mg dose in soluable form so you put them in water and they dissolve. Much better on the stomach.

Don't self dose, let the Doc prescribe it, he/she needs to know how much you take and in what form. Anyway it's free if prescribed for me :)

H

Talos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,
My DN suggested I should be taking half an aspirin just after I was diagnosed, but I was worried about the bleeding aspect. When I was working in engineering I was the first aid rep and can remember how difficult it was to stop the bleeding on someone taking aspirin

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Aspirin should only be taken if prescribed, which would indicate that you have certain risk factors. There is a school of thought that it can be beneficial for all........

I have been taking 2 x 75mg soluble Aspirin since a Heart Op in Dec 2004. I am aparently at higher risk. I have never had any problems whilst taking it.

You can certainly ask for it.......but if you don't have the risk factors. It's just another pill to take. :(

From the BPA.......

http://www.bpassoc.org.uk/microsites/u4 ... ts/Aspirin

C

catherinecherub

Here is the NHS's take on the headlines, worth reading.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2010/12December/ ... -risk.aspx

I did hear a Dr. speaking on the radio this morning and he suggested that you would have to take the aspirin for 20 years plus to get the benefits and it would be best started in your late 30's or early 40's if you are suitable.

G4WIL

hallii said:
My Doc put me on it 8 years ago, 75mg dose in soluable form so you put them in water and they dissolve. Much better on the stomach.

Don't self dose, let the Doc prescribe it, he/she needs to know how much you take and in what form. Anyway it's free if prescribed for me :)

H
My Doctor put me on enteric coated aspirin which of course gets round the problem of stomach irritation!.
Aspirin does reduce the lining of the stomach ,so some doctors prescribe a proton pump inhibitor which reduces acid secretion and therefore the chances of ulceration !

John Wilkinson