Type 2 Medication & blood sugars HELP!

PollyDonna

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi. I'm currently 2 x metformin 500g with my evening meal and 60 units of levemir in the morning. My blood sugars are always around 12.3 in the morning(fasting) and about the same in the evening. I'm really worried that they don't seem to be getting any lower. I have joined the gym and go 3 times a week for approximately 1.5 hours a time. My diabetes team at the doctors just keep telling me to watch what I eat and saying that mt sugar levels are unacceptable. I also go to Slimming World and have lost over 1stone but it's not's making much difference to my readings. I also take Thyroxine & sertraline.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Could possibly be a clash of drugs, Thyroxine and Levemir?

I take an immune suppressant called tacrolimus and also prednisone, if I take levemir at the same time I get sky high bg levels. If I take levemir 2hrs after taking these two drugs I don't get high readings.... might be worth a try? I assume you take the two you mentioned in the morning?

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I also go to Slimming World and have lost over 1stone
I'd be careful with Slimming World diet recommendations. Whilst you've done well to lose a stone, the Slimming World diet encourages the consumption of 'free' foods. As a diabetic, no foods are really free. Lots of fruit is free on SW, yet it is full of fructose, yet another sugar, likewise starchy veg, peas, corn, potatoes and so on are free. These really push up your blood glucose to unacceptable levels. I believe SW encourages low fat options....eg Muller Light yoghurts. Again these are full of sugar. If you eat this way, the results you're seeing are what happens SW like to tout that their diet is ideal for diabetics, but it's far from it. I now eat a restricted carbohydrate diet, and my blood sugars are now in the range of 4-6mmol nearly all of the time. I've also managed to reduce my insulin dose dramatically. You could try the Low Carb Trial on here and see how it works for you.

Reactions: Polly1974

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would advocate a low carb diet too but I’m only on Metformin. I think you have to test well going low carb when on insulin to prevent going hypo. It’s good to see that @Zilsniggy has managed this.

Reactions: Zilsniggy

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the others than the key to control for a T2 is down to diet. It is a matter of finding a suitable diet that you can sustain. Slimming World is a weight loss programme, based on low calories. It isn't calories that you need to watch, it is carbohydrate.
The fewer carbs we eat, the lower our blood glucose will be. It is that simple - and the reason is because all carbs turn to glucose once in the system.

You have a meter, so maybe it is time to start using it to your advantage. Test immediately before you eat and again 2 hours after first bite. Look at the rise from before to after. If this is more than 2mmol/l there were too many carbs in your meal, some of which could be eliminated and some reduced in portion size. If you also keep a food diary (including portion sizes) and record your levels alongside, you will soon see patterns emerging and be able to discover your personal danger foods.

As you are taking Levemir in the mornings, you need to test very regularly to make sure you are not going too low. The less carbs we eat the less insulin we need, and if we end up with too much insulin our levels will drop and we may be in hypo territory. It would be wise to discuss this with your doctor in case you need less than your 60 units. Many people on this forum have been able to come off insulin completely by eating a low carb diet, but only with doctor's permission.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I would advocate a low carb diet too but I’m only on Metformin
Rachox, I think the LCHF diet works in diabetes whether we are on meds or not. It just takes a bit more testing to find out what you can eat and what you can't! I look at it in the way that I have a food intolerance. Just means I can't tolerate carbs, so it seems to me to make sense to limit their consumption. The blood glucose numbers coming down makes it worthwhile! Great motivation to keep plugging away at it!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Rachox, I think the LCHF diet works in diabetes whether we are on meds or not. It just takes a bit more testing to find out what you can eat and what you can't! I look at it in the way that I have a food intolerance. Just means I can't tolerate carbs, so it seems to me to make sense to limit their consumption. The blood glucose numbers coming down makes it worthwhile! Great motivation to keep plugging away at it!

Oh I totally agree. I was just saying I am only on Metformin as distinct from Insulin as well, because of the risk to the OP of hypoing.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

The problem is, we have had our hands slapped in the past for advocating low carb to insulin users without sufficient warnings about hypos. Admittedly mainly T1s.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The problem is, we have had our hands slapped in the past for advocating low carb to insulin users without sufficient warnings about hypos. Admittedly mainly T1s.

Exactly, that’s why I qualified my post with the warning.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

I'm being quite careful to add the caveat to always test while trying to adapt to low carb. To me, as a Health Professional, that makes sense, I'm also diabetic, and it does worry me that some times other diabetics have no idea about their condition, and what's worse, even less idea of how to treat themselves. I see it nearly every day, unfortunately. And it's not only insulin users I'd advise to test, but anyone on any medication for their diabetes, since we don't all react the same. Thanks for the warning.

PollyDonna

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

I take an immune suppressant called tacrolimus and also prednisone, if I take levemir at the same time I get sky high bg levels. If I take levemir 2hrs after taking these two drugs I don't get high readings.... might be worth a try? I assume you take the two you mentioned in the morning?
Thank you. I am.give that a go

PollyDonna

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'd be careful with Slimming World diet recommendations. Whilst you've done well to lose a stone, the Slimming World diet encourages the consumption of 'free' foods. As a diabetic, no foods are really free. Lots of fruit is free on SW, yet it is full of fructose, yet another sugar, likewise starchy veg, peas, corn, potatoes and so on are free. These really push up your blood glucose to unacceptable levels. I believe SW encourages low fat options....eg Muller Light yoghurts. Again these are full of sugar. If you eat this way, the results you're seeing are what happens SW like to tout that their diet is ideal for diabetics, but it's far from it. I now eat a restricted carbohydrate diet, and my blood sugars are now in the range of 4-6mmol nearly all of the time. I've also managed to reduce my insulin dose dramatically. You could try the Low Carb Trial on here and see how it works for you.

PollyDonna

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I queried this with my SW leader and she didn't have a clue what I was talking about really and handed me a leaflet! I have looked at the Low carb eating plan and am really interested in trying it. Thank you.

Reactions: Zilsniggy

Polly1974

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am a new diabetic still getting used to it all but I have been told that pain and stress can also be factors to high blood readings

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather

I take Thyroxine and Levemir in the mornings but obviously at different times, can't be swallowing a pill and stabbing at the same time.:)

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I queried this with my SW leader and she didn't have a clue what I was talking about really and handed me a leaflet! I have looked at the Low carb eating plan and am really interested in trying it. Thank you.
Be careful while on insulin, the low carb plan can really lower your sugars drastically in a short space of time. You might need to consult with your GP on the best way to reduce your insulin, if you need to.

Reactions: Alison Campbell