Dropping blood glucose

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Good day Good People,

I need some advise. I have started managing to start testing my blood glucose, I now use my palm.
This morning I did my fasting BG and it was 7.9.i then did it two hours later, pre breakfast and it was 7.2.

I had soya unsweetened yogurt, fresh raspberries and strawberries with alpro single cream for breakfast. I have now done my 2 hours post BG and it has dropped to 5.3. I am in 2,000ng SR metformin that I take at 10pm every day.

So what wondering is that is it normal for BG to drop that much that fast?

Also is this something that I need to be worried about?

Thanks for your help.

NC

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It isn't unusual to drop quickly , and as a one-off I would ignore it. See if it happens again.
It could be your liver was dumping when you got up and carried on until you had your breakfast (hence the high readings) Then when you started to eat your pancreas joined in the party and secreted enough insulin to bring your levels down and your liver stopped dumping. Only a guess of course, but it is possible.
It could even have been a duff reading when you saw the 5.3. Did you do a re-test?

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Thank you so much. I did and it was 7.2 after eating lunch but I was unable to take a reading before. Lunch was roasted turkey with cucumber and avacado. I will continue to do tests and see but I’m having a Libre trial in a few weeks so if still an issue, I’ll speak to diabetic nurse then.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
So today the same happened. Fasting BG was 7.7 ate the same meal and two hours later BG was 5.4. It was the same yogurt/Single cream and berries. I will test again tomorrow.

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
No and work is desk based. I’m scared to go to the gym as I know that exercise will reduce BG levels even more and I don’t want to collapse.

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Alison, I think that because other meals make my BG raises, I was expecting the same and not a drop. Im now feeling better by all this.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

acs1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
All looks good to me. Glucose levels do vary up or down. The trend is a better guide and these figures seem brilliant to me and i would be delighted with 5s.