Angry GP

trand

Hi, All, I had to see my GP today, have an ear infection, my normal Gp is off on materinty leave, anyway, got that sorted out, and then mentioned my diabetes, and showed him the complaint I had put in 3mths ago,( which the admin had just ignored) he was fuming, and concerned as to why the Dn was not helping me in anyway, also why had'nt I had a blood test, and when I told him my readings were averaging 8's, he was not too happy, he said I should be in the low 6's or even below, and that the Dn should have been aware of all this , needless to say , I now have to go for a blood test and referred to a Diabetes clinic, and have to see him in 10days when he will talk to me about my result, he was also quite impressed with some figeurs I quoted him, ( pinched from on here) regarding how much the NHS spends on drug addicts, in a year compaired with what they spend on us, I said I have not chosen to have this, where as the drug addict has,, to which he agreed, trand

Eiche

Dislikes
Not being able to satisfy my craving for chocolate LOL
The amount they spend on junkies is not the only rediculous thing. Check out what they spend on alcoholics and now on smokers who don't have the will power to quit smoking. They are now giving them FREE patches.... Have you ever noticed the proce on those patches? I checked the other day in the pharmacy when I was waiting for my meds.... Check it out... And they are now skimping on who gets test strips for their glucose meters because THEY THINK some of us don't need them anymore... Pffffffffffffffft!!!

trand

I do agree eiche, I am not defending smokers ( i am one, unfortunatly), but apart from the gov/tax, tobbacco companys plough billions back in to the country, and have to agree about the patches, its cheaper to smoke then buy them , I tried it once with the inhalers, I could'nt afford them ...all that you mention are self impossed, we are not, and its not only the fact that we have to fight to get strips, even if we can buy them , look at the cost of them to self doctor ourselves

Moogie1947

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not defending smokers - used to be one or other addicts. However long term health effects of smoking all add to NHS costs so it's probably more cost effective to treat this free than pay for lung cancer treatment and other smoking related diseases both dirctly from NHS budget and long term sick benefit.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like a much more helpful GP! I'd stick with him and not go back to your normal one, if possible!

anniep

Moogie1947 said:
Not defending smokers - used to be one or other addicts. However long term health effects of smoking all add to NHS costs so it's probably more cost effective to treat this free than pay for lung cancer treatment and other smoking related diseases both dirctly from NHS budget and long term sick benefit.

That is the same for drug addicts - it is cheaper to treat than the cost to society otherwise.
BUT it is also true of diabetics, it is cheaper to give us the strips and let us take control than to treat the long term effects and complications of poor control. But for some reason the message about that hasn't got through!

Moogie1947

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
anniep said:
BUT it is also true of diabetics, it is cheaper to give us the strips and let us take control than to treat the long term effects and complications of poor control. But for some reason the message about that hasn't got through!

I wholeheartedly agree.

Sue Morton

Whilst reading this I too was going to say its cheaper for us to have the stips and keep control then it is for the resultant non testing and cost to the NHS.

I am a smoker however but have cut down and roll my own. I will be 62 in May and when I first started to smoke when I was 14 there wasn't the health warning that there are now and it is very hard to give up. I gave up for 7 years in my twenties but all that time still wanted a fag, going through a divorce I started again have had a couple of other tries to give but have gone back. They say giving up smoking is harder then giving up heroin don't know if this is true but it is really hard.

All the best everyone
Sue :)

ewan

Dislikes
kidneys, sci fi and hooror
I am not promoting smoking (used to myself, until i saw the light / smoke) i did read some figures generated by research that very substantialy showed that the money the goverment collects from smokers massivley outways the nhs expenditure on treating the effects of smoking,

My unbiased comment