Fingers and lancets

Hareph

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All the advice I've seen says lance different fingers each time. This seems to imply that repeated lancing of the same place on the same finger will result in a damaged finger eventually. Is this an urban myth, or has anyone ever come across a damaged finger from lancing?

Reactions: Happyhomelands

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Ask long term T1s. Some have extensive scar tissue on the fingers from continual testing over the years.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I use different figures each time and also each side and middle. Testing 8 - 10 times a day for years. No scar tissue yet BUT can get very tender. Luckily on the Freestyle Libre so my fingers are having a well deserved holiday. Still test 3 times a day to bolus OR if my bloods are high or low

D

Deleted Account

Depends what you mean by "damaged fingers".
Like @porl69 , I get very tender fingertips if my finger choice is reduced (I trapped a couple of fingers in a car door so couldn't use them to test).
There are ways to reduce tenderness like not applying pressure to force blood out, not lancing too deep, using the side of the finger. But the best way is definitely to rotate my lancing finger.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I have to go in deep as i have leather finger tips as well, so my lancet is set on the deepest :(

Reactions: Hareph

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I also test on the sides and only use my middle, ring and little fingers to test on, rotating all the time. Fingers do get sore as my brain instinctively selects the same finger, same spot most of the time :banghead: However no scarring to speak of yet and that's 6 years in and averaging 6-8 tests a day.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do a different finger side each time, so each finger gets it once and two get it twice each day, the tips don't get sore per se but can feel tender playing a guitar, I tend to prick my right side more for this reason.
A libre trial gave them a rest recently :p

Edit, my first finger pricks required you to stab your finger with the lancet, you'd rest your finger on the side and just whack it, so when the spring loaded finger prickers came out life got so much easier :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hareph and Juicyj

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Juicyj . Fully with you on the brain override. I have at times, lanced a finger, thought **** ( you're a mod so I'll refrain from stronger language) wrong finger and then proceeded to lance another finger instead. Two bleeding fingers ( I'm sure you'll let me off with that:):))
I use a optium xceed which has the lancet alongside in the carry case. Oddly enough I found that by turning the lancet around in it's holder, either pointing towards or away from me, results in me " automatically " using different fingers.
Weird I know but that's me.;);)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@therower i think we can let you off with that :) yes 2 bleeding fingers also resonates with me too, as does sticking my finger in the testing strip before the meter has counted down from 10 and so I have to use another test strip, that’s my most frustrating gripe with testing :banghead:

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Someone told me in the hospital when I was diagnosed that they had heard of people using their ear lobes when their fingers had had enough. No thanks!