Hi all, new type 1 checking in!

wildtoast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys. I'm 24 and have just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes during a hospital admission. I'm actually a pharmacist so I am coming in from a higher level of knowledge about this condition than most would be but it has still been a huge shock. I knew it was possible to develop type 1 at any time but you never think it's going to happen to you!

I had an absolute classic presentation now I look back at how I've been generally unwell/run down for a couple of months, recent weight loss, the thirst and constant peeing - if anyone told me they were having those symptoms when I was at work diabetes would be the first thing I would suggest to have checked out haha. It's certainly different to get the patient perspective on this one, it will give me a new appreciation for what it's like to depend on medication and have a long term condition.

I'm still waiting on the results of some blood tests I had done before leaving hospital the consultant said will rule out a few things (I must admit I'm aware there are some more unusual subtypes etc but wouldn't know anything about them) but that type 1 seems the most likely so that's what we're working with at the moment. 5 injections a day feels pretty intense right now and my BMs have been a bit all over but I'll get there! Any advice/words of wisdom/do's and don'ts are most welcome!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi, welcome.
Advice? Take your time and accept that no one has perfect levels all the time.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome, and good to see a pharmacist on this forum! I'm not happy for you that you've developed diabetes of course, but I can imagine it will be a benefit to your customers and it will make you a better pharmacist. I would say read around and ask away on the forum, and please share your knowledge as well. And don't get overwhelmed by trying to get everything right, diabetes-wise, take your time, you're not in a hurry :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. At age 24 T1 would be the default diagnosis. It will take a short while to get the Basal balanced and be aware that 5 injections isn't mandatory. I only do 4 as I don't split the Basal. The argument that the Basal insulin lasts less than 24 hours is true but that doesn't mean you have to split it; just adjust the Bolus as needed and save an injection (many will disagree of course). Do carb-count which I suspect you will be doing. Good luck.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with @Daibell , that it's not always nescesary (f**k that word. Tried 5 times and it still doesn't look right. How do you spell it? ) to inject 5 times a day, especially if the injecting bothers you . On the other hand, I was diagnosed a bit over a year ago and I'm happy injecting 7 to 10 times a day, depending on what I do and eat.
Just so you know there are many ways to tackle this diabetes-thingy , and not one way is The way. Go ahead and find your own way!

sweetbloodsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cilantro, liver, rudeness, cruelty, impatience, prejudice, hatred. kale
I am impressed that you know a lot about T1. You'd be surprised how many in the medical community do not. I would love to have a T1 pharmacist! Who knows? Maybe I do, but if so, would like them to admit it. My advice is, no matter how much you know, keep reading b/c treatments and research are moving very fast with this disease. Also, get a continuous glucose monitor ASAP. It will change your life.

wildtoast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions! Is it a thing that it takes a while to get used to having lower blood sugars? I've been roughly at about 8 today (with a dip to 5 at one point) and feeling a bit rubbish in general! I'm wondering if my body just needs to get used to a new level instead of the high levels I've been running at before?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Yes, you have summed it up well. Your body is used to running high So the drop to 8 will make you feel rough. It's called a false hypo and the longer you stay in range the less you will feel rough.

AJB_81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed about a year ago, I differ from most as I had a 13 year apprenticeship as my other half has been T1 since 4yo. I mention this as I also knew a lot about it before diagnosis, not so much the science behind how the body worked, but knew lots about living with it and transitioning from 2 injections, to 5, to pumps & using CGMs and then how illness and having babies affect things... anyway enough of that, here's my learnings:
- the honeymoon kicked in good and proper for me and I ended up stopping injecting for a short period of time, almost fell for the old "haha they made a mistake, it would never happen to me - I'm cured". Now on a steady 4 units Levemir and NovoRapid amount depends on food intake.
- get to know your own body and how you responded to food - trial and error is key, count carbs for meals, inject and see what happens. 25g carbs = I unit of insulin has been bang on for me for the last year. The wife, a fully blown T1D person, is 10g carbs = 1 unit which is pretty standard for most T1D people. Ask you local hospital about DAFNE and this will teach you about carb counting a glycemic index for food.
- exercise is brilliant for keeping BGs steady - but take dextrose with you! I run 20 - 30 miles/week, I was a runner before diabetes. Again trial and error is key to knowing how & when exercise works.
- I'm taking some of Dr Bernstains advice, his book is definitely worth a read! His advice I like is: to prolong the honeymoon 1) don't over load your failing pancreas 2) avoid high BGs as both accelerate beta cell depletion from those nasty antibodies.
Good luck with everything. I'm determined not to let T1D get me down, it's forced me to watch what I eat, eat better and exercise more - probably should've done this anyway! On the plus side lager has little or no effect on me at the moment!

Reactions: phaedree

BananaK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the forum!

I echo everyone’s sentiments about finding what’s right for you. And being open to change because what you think is brilliant for you today could be completely different next month.

It sounds obvious, but this is 24/7, and what you might perceive as “mistakes” are just the ongoing process of learning and doing the best with what you’ve got in the moment.

You’ll start to feel better pretty quickly as numbers stabilise. Trust how you feel, and Yes, CGM all the way.

Good luck with it all. Enjoy the forum.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hello! I was diagnosed at 24 as well, comes as a bit of shock, doesn’t it? Just when you’re really getting going with life. I was halfway through my biochemistry PhD when I got clobbered with it.

It’ll take a little while for you to get used to normal blood sugars, but you’ll feel better quite quickly.

This forum is brilliant, I’ve learned so much in the short time I’ve been here, best of luck x

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi. At age 24 T1 would be the default diagnosis. It will take a short while to get the Basal balanced and be aware that 5 injections isn't mandatory. I only do 4 as I don't split the Basal. The argument that the Basal insulin lasts less than 24 hours is true but that doesn't mean you have to split it; just adjust the Bolus as needed and save an injection (many will disagree of course). Do carb-count which I suspect you will be doing. Good luck.
I often only do basal and no bolus coz of limiting my carb intake which makes me chuffed

wildtoast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello! I was diagnosed at 24 as well, comes as a bit of shock, doesn’t it? Just when you’re really getting going with life. I was halfway through my biochemistry PhD when I got clobbered with it.

It’ll take a little while for you to get used to normal blood sugars, but you’ll feel better quite quickly.

This forum is brilliant, I’ve learned so much in the short time I’ve been here, best of luck x
It's not just me diagnosed at this age then! Everyone keeps telling me how unusual it is at my age, two different doctors said I was an enigma! Not what you want to hear when you are feeling pretty poorly!

Feeling pretty frustrated at the moment, its such a learning curve and I don't like not being an expert at it - I'm used to being the medicines know it all but this is not like most things where you just take a tablet every day. I feel rubbish at a BM of about 8, and discovered last night hot baths (one of my favourite things in the world) make BMs go all screwy! I think I'm maybe trying to go too fast. Argh!