Medication...

Jo19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All

I have recently been diagnosed with Type II diabetes, about a week ago - I've only had two blood tests, a week apart and both were 12.7. I've seen the diabetes nurse at my practice and she has said that because my levels are so high that I have to go straight onto Metformin, rather than try to reduce levels by diet. Trouble is, the Metformin really doesn't agree with me and I work outside a lot with no quick access to a loo...

What I'd like to ask is if anyone else had a reading similar to mine who has reduced by diet alone? I'm five days into a low carb diet and adding in exercise every day - I know everyone will be different but, on average, how long does it generally take for levels to drop?

The nurse said something about the Metformin protecting my organs - am I risking them while I try and get this under control with diet? I've had blurred vision for a couple of months, that's what led me to test myself, and it's even blurrier now I've dropped my carbs but I've read that will right itself in time, correct?

Sorry for the long post - thanks for your thoughts xx

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that my blood sugar levels dropped within a couple of weeks when I went low carb and was in the non-diabetic range 10 months after diagnosis. The most important thing is to get a meter and test before food and then again 2hrs after to see what foods you can and cannot tolerate.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All

I have recently been diagnosed with Type II diabetes, about a week ago - I've only had two blood tests, a week apart and both were 12.7. I've seen the diabetes nurse at my practice and she has said that because my levels are so high that I have to go straight onto Metformin, rather than try to reduce levels by diet. Trouble is, the Metformin really doesn't agree with me and I work outside a lot with no quick access to a loo...

What I'd like to ask is if anyone else had a reading similar to mine who has reduced by diet alone? I'm five days into a low carb diet and adding in exercise every day - I know everyone will be different but, on average, how long does it generally take for levels to drop?

The nurse said something about the Metformin protecting my organs - am I risking them while I try and get this under control with diet? I've had blurred vision for a couple of months, that's what led me to test myself, and it's even blurrier now I've dropped my carbs but I've read that will right itself in time, correct?

Hi @Jo19 welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of help and advice on here - I'm recently diagnosed and have learned so much already. My levels were a bit lower at 8.7 - but to give you an insight into how levels can drop on low carb - for diagnosis I had to be retested 2 weeks later and by then I'd been low carbing for 4 weeks and they'd dropped to 7.8. I believe the higher the initial number the quicker they can drop to start with. Are you home testing every day before meals and 2 hours after? This is the best way for you to monitor how your levels are doing, otherwise you won't know which foods are best for you.

I'm not on any meds so far myself but I've read on here that if Metformin doesn't agree with you, you can go back to your nurse and ask for the slow-release version - they don't give this out automatically as it's more expensive. But apparently the side effects from Metformin may start to subside for you anyway - other forum peeps who take it will be able to share their experiences on it with you.

What I can tell you is yes the blurred vision is common with a drop in carbs - I had this and it took 2-3 weeks for it to go, so don't worry it will get better. I'm tagging @daisy1 in this post so she can give you the info pack for new forum users. :)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Jo19

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I was diagnosed with a similar number to you (108 mmo/mol or 12%) about 14 months ago.

I have been able to get that down to 34 (5.3%) using diet and exercise alone. My regime is a ketogenic one of 20g or fewer carbs per day and over time I have added in intermittent fasting and stepped up exercise. The diet is by far the strongest influence.

So while I can’t advise you on whether or not to take Metformin (or any other medication), I can say that it is possible to manage without - and I am far from the only example of that on this forum.

Do have a read of the information daisy1 will post and ask as many questions as you like.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hi All

1. Slow release Metformin is the best choice and no, it will not reduce numbers by much. Diet configures much of that ... along with weight loss and exercise
2. Can be (more or less) immediate based on your next HbA1c and were those 12.7s HbA1c?
3. Vision will improve ... but back to diet ... what is it??

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Jo19

Hello Jo and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Jo19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the info and advice. The nurse said not to check my levels at home, so I've not been doing that.

Re diet, I'm using two meal replacement shakes and a meat and vegetables/salad. I find the shakes more straightforward at the moment.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

Please, please, please ignore your nurse when she said not to test. That is rubbish advice, but sadly all too common for T2s. Without a meter you are working blind and will have to wait several months for your next HbA1c test at the surgery to see if you are heading in the right direction. With a meter you can test before and after eating and see at a glance what that meal has done to your levels and whether something needs changing. I believe they are the most important tools we have. You will, of course, have to buy your own, so if you intend to go ahead and buy one let us know and we will point you in the direction of the meters with the cheapest test strips.

Your HbA1c was high, there is no getting away from this, but Metformin doesn't help a great deal. It is a mild drug, but is known to have some protective bits to it. We can't tell you what to do about it. The decision is yours, you may find it gives you no side effects after a few days, or you may not, but there is a different version that is slow release, which is kinder on the tummy and bowels, or you could ask your nurse for 3 months grace to see if you can manage on diet and exercise alone. I've never taken it.

Good luck on the shakes and 1 meal diet (which needs to be low calorie and low carb). It works for a lot of people if you are doing it correctly, but you do need to plan ahead as it isn't sustainable in the long term.

Reactions: eggs11 and dbr10

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
my BG level was over 17 at diagnosis. 80 days of low carb and I was no longer in the diabetic range for Hba1c.
I did take Metformin and a statin for maybe 5 weeks - five dreadful weeks.
It was Christmas 2016 and I came out of the supermarket and wandered around in a daze, and I thought - this isn't right, then I opened the back of the car and it was full of shopping I'd forgotten about. I was a bit upset, but after a few minutes I went home and threw the pills in the dustbin. I had only been able to go out because I'd not taken a tablet the day before and waited for my insides to settle down a bit.
I can stick to low carb really well - if I am ever tempted to eat anything I shouldn't I just think 'Metformin' - and the urge goes away really fast. Some people do find eating low carb difficult, but I actually prefer to have the fish or meat or eggs and cheese, the salads or vege stirfry, rather than pasta or potato etc.
I don't know what the nurse meant by your levels being 'so high' and 'protecting your organs' sounds like 'I don't really know but it must do something good - it is medicine after all.' but I am really biased against Metformin. I had to buy a dedicated carpet cleaner to cope with the consequences.
This Christmas after dinner my BG level was 5.6 - I had been a bit careful, right up until the 3rd yorkshire pudding, but after so long eating low carb I think that my diabetes is fairly well beaten, but I am doing low carb for life now - the meals are better and I have lost so many inches off my middle it is ridiculous.