Snacks

Russell52

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well, I got most things nearly under control now and have become an advocate for the low carb diet. However still can't get rid of this craving to eat at about 9pm. I am aware thus is a daft time to eat anything but anybody got any ideas? I'm dreaming of chocolate cake and I'm about to do a smash and grab on a sweet shop :)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Me too! I eat Itsu seaweed thins , wasabi flavour. They sound disgusting but taste magic. 0.6 carbs/22 calories

Reactions: Russell52

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try some 90% lindt excellence chocolate.. 2 squares are 2.8g of carbs. Otherwise I'm a pork scratchings advocate although I usually have them instead of a meal rather than as well as . If you are getting hungry I would suggest you aren't having enough fat with your main meal. Maybe add some butter to your green veg?

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
Agree with bulkbiker re the Lindt. A small portion of full fat greek yoghurt can help, or a small portion of cheese. A low carb mug cake would always do it!

Reactions: dbr10

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Agree with bulkbiker re the Lindt. A small portion of full fat greek yoghurt can help, or a small portion of cheese. A low carb mug cake would always do it!
A handful of nuts or cheese usually does it for me, but usually it isn't necessary. If I wake up feeling hungry in the night I have a decaff coffee with cream.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I got quite excited about a mug cake until I found you need a microwave:(

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
However still can't get rid of this craving to eat at about 9pm.
Eat something you like::wacky:
A can of Tuna in Sunflower Oil. Use Lettuce instead of bread fill the leafs up with Tuna Mayo and spring onion.
  1. 0 carbs.
  2. 0 sugar.
  3. 6gm of Fat.
  4. And who cares about the calories but its about 150 if that helps. (per can)
Tuna is an oily fish high in Omega 3. Sunflower oil is high in Omega 6.

I found, for me, if I was going to give into temptation it was better to submit to something healthy & savour over sweet. ;)
:bag:

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Almond butter has a nice sweet taste - a small spoonful of that sorted me out when I felt hungry first starting out on low carb.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
which is just what you don't need!

Unless I misunderstood this the article is saying you need both in balance. And then goes on to show why if they are out of balance if Omega 6 intake is inappropriate or excessive, this is a bad thing.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Unless I misunderstood this the article is saying you need both in balance. And then goes on to show why if they are out of balance if Omega 6 intake is inappropriate or excessive, this is a bad thing.

Indeed it does. Sunflower oil has a massive amount of omega 6. It contains 71% omega 6 as opposed to 1% omega 3. Not a very good balance in my eyes. Personally I avoid it like the plague, and would just eat the tuna without the oil, or better still, salmon.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
just eat the tuna without the oil,
Sorry blue,
there seems to be some miscommunication here the sunflower oil is in the can of tuna. you pour the oil out and squash the excess out of the tuna. I wasn't suggesting adding oil, the omega3 comes from the tuna.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry blue,
there seems to be some miscommunication here the sunflower oil is in the can of tuna. you pour the oil out and squash the excess out of the tuna. I wasn't suggesting adding oil, the omega3 comes from the tuna.
Unfortunately most of the omega 3 leaches out of the tuna into the oil and is thus thrown away. Other types of tinned fish, salmon, sardines and mackerel are better sources of omega 3 but that wouldn't stop me eating tuna.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry blue,

Ah well, you didn't mention pouring it out! I understood it was already in the tin. Why not just buy a tin without the added oil then no need to drain?

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Firstly I would like to apologise to Russell52,
sorry mate we seemed to have hijacked your thread into the great tuna debate. (couldn't find an ashamed of myself smiley)

"Ah well, you didn't mention pouring it out! "
I thought everybody did that. :p

I buy the no drain tins but they lie to you, and I want the omega 6, as far as I know its the only time I get it. ;)

Reactions: Russell52

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Firstly I would like to apologise to Russell52,
sorry mate we seemed to have hijacked your thread into the great tuna debate. (couldn't find an ashamed of myself smiley)

"Ah well, you didn't mention pouring it out! "
I thought everybody did that. :p

I buy the no drain tins but they lie to you, and I want the omega 6, as far as I know its the only time I get it. ;)

I also apologise to @Russell52 for derailing his thread.

If you want to continue the discussion on omegas, maybe a new thread?

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I got most things nearly under control now and have become an advocate for the low carb diet. However still can't get rid of this craving to eat at about 9pm. I am aware thus is a daft time to eat anything but anybody got any ideas? I'm dreaming of chocolate cake and I'm about to do a smash and grab on a sweet shop :)

Drink water and power through it.
Or you'll be eating at 9pm for life.