rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
another stupid question

i know I have to test 2 hrs after eating..... is that two hours after the start of the meal or 2 hrs after you finish

cheers

Rab

shirleyannco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
another stupid question

i know I have to test 2 hrs after eating..... is that two hours after the start of the meal or 2 hrs after you finish

cheers

Rab
I do two hours after the finish of the meal my reading is higher if I do it sooner

Reactions: rab5

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat fairly high fat which slows my sugar rise so I find for me I need to leave 2 hours after eating. Think important thing too is to stick to same routine as that way you can spot differences in how you respond to different food. Hope that helps.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
2 hrs after meal 5.2

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had this problem as well.

I test 90 mins after starting and if it is something "new" I also test 2 hours after starting.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess it depends on how accurate your "body clock" is :bag:

I like to think that I am unique, and hopefully each and every one else is too.

As @Mr_Pot states the "generally accepted" advice is first gob full.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two hours after I start my meal, sometimes at 1 hour as well if I eat something carby and want to see how it spikes.

Robbity

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The general guidelines are to test 2 hours after first bite, and this is the only "target" guideline we have. It seems to have arisen from the 2 hour rule for the OGT tests, which is 2 hours after starting the drink. Of course, this 2 hour marker will never be the peak of the rise, and will never show us how long we have had elevated post meal levels, which is why it is sensible to test new foods or certain other combinations of foods more often than just the 2 hours. The 2 hours is simply a guide.

I had an occasion yesterday when I had a very fatty meal with not a lot of carbs.
At 2 hours I had risen just 0.2mmol/l.
At 2.5 hours I had risen 0.7mmol/l
and by 3 hours the rise was 1.0mmol/l.
Then back to normal

Reactions: rab5 and lovinglife

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
Since it usually takes 20-30 minutes to eat a meal, the 2 hr test after the first bite would be about the same as the 90 minute test after the last bite ...

Reactions: Brihtric

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Since it usually takes 20-30 minutes to eat a meal, the 2 hr test after the first bite would be about the same as the 90 minute test after the last bite ... just saying.

Much depends on the contents of the meal of course. Some foods start to digest immediately they hit the tongue. In fact the digestion processes start before you eat, with the cooking smells or simply the anticipation.

I guess if you are only looking for trends it doesn't matter, provided you are consistent.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like to know what the rise is between numbers so always test right before eating - to me a rise of more than 2 after 2hrs would be a retest meal then a no no meal if it happened a second time - testing after eating then at 2hrs would skew the test as I would be rising whilst eating