Hi Newbie

beta270man

Hi one and all,
I am a newbie to this forum. i have a question...... i have recently been put on gliclazide 80ml twice a day. Naughty man doc, didnt tell me about the prolific weight gain (a stone in a month). Is this because its working and i am asorbing the glucose or a side effect of the medication. a collegue at work has said, avoid it like the plague, she gained 3 stone in as many months. I am a bit disparing now as i was doing so well controlling my weight. Any comments or advice??????? :D

croftmanor

Dislikes
arrogant and assertive drivers, people with BO, no excuse for it these days
Hi There
sorry no one has replied yet!
I dont have any knowlege of Gliclazide as i am only on metformin, i have heard about the weight gain
I would be back to my doctors telling him that the treatment is wrong for me and insist on trying something else
of course i dont know your background and you may well have tried the other alternatives
Hopefully someone will be along soon to give some more advice
best regards
Crofty

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
You say you were controlling your weight well......what about your Bg levels ? How were they throughout the day ? Fasting, pre and post meals etc.

Gliclazide can make you put on weight as it stimulates the Pancreas to produce Insulin, too much Insulin can turn to fat thereby causing excess weight. However, Gliclazide is usually very effective at lowering Bg levels so it is a 'double edged sword.' Can be helpful for a while then lowered when good control is achieved.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Yes, it can and often does cause weight gain. Glic is a sulphonylurea and here is an extract from the BNF for your info
'Cautions: Sulphonylureas can encourage weight gain and should be prescribed only if poor control and symptoms persist despite adequate attempts at dieting.'
I found exactly the same (with other unwanted effects) and went straight back to the medics to try other options... I suggest you do the same .. good luck.

beta270man

Hi All,
Many thanks for your answers, has given me food for thought (scuse pun). My bg's were high dispite a strict diet, some of the fasting counts were in the teens. but the counts are coming down, so like you say Caligula "double edge sword" Will give it a while longer before heading off to the doc's. plus i have signed up to a diabetic education course which i am sure will help. is it worth me experimenting with the dosage once my bg's are stable?
Kind Regards,
Tom,