Type 2 Sugar free bread

faherkanaa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Loooking at all type of bread I found all contain different amount of added sugar even wholemeal and multigrain?
Any advice

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Loooking at all type of bread I found all contain different amount of added sugar even wholemeal and multigrain?
Any advice

Hi and welcome,

I'm afraid there is no sugar free bread because bread, including wholemeal, has a lot of carbs. It is the total carbs you need to look at on nutrition labels. All carbs turn to sugar once in the system. However, there are some low carb breads available in the UK. These include the high protein rolls from Lidl, Hi-Lo (Sainsburys), Live-life (Waitrose), and Burgen (several supermarkets).

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For yeast to work a small amount of sugar needs to be added to the dough, preferably as a syrup - but more or less sugar is largely irrelevant for diabetics, as the starches in bread far outweigh the sugars, but they are all carbohydrate, which is what we can't cope with.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
A friend of mine adds no sugar at all to her bread dough and it turns out fine. There is enough sugar present in the flour itself for the yeast to work it seems, surprised me but she has been baking her bread like that for some while now she is not diabetic but her husband is insulin dependent T2.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
For yeast to work a small amount of sugar needs to be added to the dough, preferably as a syrup - but more or less sugar is largely irrelevant for diabetics, as the starches in bread far outweigh the sugars, but they are all carbohydrate, which is what we can't cope with.

There is no need to add sugar to the dough mix. I used to make my own live yeast before the advent of fast acting acting dried yeast in sachets. We forget sometimes that in ancient times there was no knowledge of the reasons for the dough to rise but it it did so without added yeast or sugar.

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try Lidl high protein rolls or Livlife bread both are low carbohydrate and therefore low sugar. Alternatively make your own using soy flour, gluten , yeast, a little sugar (it is used up by the yeast), salt, olive oil and water. You can add a variety of seed if you like. It is low carbohydrate and so low sugar. Tastes good and toasts well after some experimentation. I'm afraid you are on a voyage of discovery as far as foods are concerned.

BB8.HG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've tried Carb Zone protein bread a couple of times. It's not awful. It's thin but quite dense and is ok as a vehicle for pate or peanut butter etc. When I went low carb I thought replacements like this would be a lifeline, but I've only had a couple, the rest have stayed in the freezer!