Sandwich fillers

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But where a problem can arise is if they then decide to reinvent the standard low carb diet to fit their choices

Could you expand on what you mean by standard low carb diet?
Equally, we shouldn't be encouraging them to eat bread or whatever .... and this can be implied by saying we eat them without qualifying that our meters tell us we can eat certain portion sizes.
I quite agree. Which is why I try to include a mention of self testing and using meters, as these are the most important tools we have to make our dietary choices related to controlling our diabetes.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
We just totally cut out all the beige stuff (bread, pasta, spuds etc) and, of course "the white stuff", so no need for testing or hunting out certain brands or checking quantities. To us it's the easy way and has resulted in 4.5 years of HbA1c's in the mid 30's after a start somewhere in the 70's. KISS*, as they say.
Sally

*Keep it Simple, Stupid.

D

Deleted member 308541

There really should be an EWWWWW emoji :D
Why should Vegimite need a emoji like that. Vegimite is a great spread with excellent taste and not only that it can be used as a Drop Bear repellent, which Marmite and other spreads ending in mite can not be used as they do not work.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm rather being Devil's Advocate on this thread, but where do Lidl Rolls and Oppo ice cream come into the no bread and everything with sugar regime?

Again, personally, I think at diagnosis people have so, so much to take on board that eating to a meter is an easier concept to get the head around than eating to a list. I know that's what worked for me, and continues to be my guide.

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat sandwiches. I eat 2 slices of bread a day. I do wish people would stop this "You cant eat any starches, you are not a low carber if you do" nonsense.

Low carb is under 120g a day. Its up to the individual, their general health, their own meter readings and how low they wish to go.

Are you sure? Maybe it's not keto?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you sure? Maybe it's not keto?
I dont do keto. I can maintain my blood sugar level on around 100g of carbs a day, and that amount also helps keep my other health issues stable.

This is partly why self testing is so vital. it gives us the information we need to find our own safe carb levels and make informed decisions.

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont do keto. I can maintain my blood sugar level on around 100g of carbs a day, and that amount also helps keep my other health issues stable.

This is partly why self testing is so vital. it gives us the information we need to find our own safe carb levels and make informed decisions.

OK but keto may have longevity and other benefits, so lower carb may be better.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK but keto may have longevity and other benefits, so lower carb may be better.
If you choose to do keto then that is fine and your choice.

I have other health issues to consider, and going under 100g of carbs is not possible for my all round health. Sometimes we just have to steer the path we can manage, even if its not ideal for our personal diabetic control. Although, saying that, my control has been good for over 6 years now.

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you choose to do keto then that is fine and your choice.

I have other health issues to consider, and going under 100g of carbs is not possible for my all round health. Sometimes we just have to steer the path we can manage, even if its not ideal for our personal diabetic control. Although, saying that, my control has been good for over 6 years now.

If I may, what prevents you from lowering your carbs? Afaik, carbs are useless to the human body and there is no issue if you consume none, maybe there is benefit in fact.

cocobee.2017

I eat sandwiches. I eat 2 slices of bread a day. I do wish people would stop this "You cant eat any starches, you are not a low carber if you do" nonsense.

Low carb is under 120g a day. Its up to the individual, their general health, their own meter readings and how low they wish to go.
@lucylocket61: I can't tell you how HAPPY it makes me feel to read ur message Big thank you!