freestyle libre

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi guys,

quick question for anyone on the freestyle libre. i know the direct arrow down means your dropping fast, but i wanted to know if my blood sugars were between 8-6 with a straight arrow down, how bad is that? does this mean i’m pretty likely to go low? should i eat something before i get too low?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @emily deacon Not an easy question to answer, have you got much quick acting insulin on board, when did you last bolus, how many carbs/insulin was taken ?

It's not wholly accurate and may level out at say 5.5mmol/l so keep a watchful eye, go with how you are feeling and if you're feeling a little bit shaky have 10g of glucose, but always trust your meter before you take any action.

I had a hypo yesterday at 2.6mmol/l whereas the libre was saying 4.8mmol/l so still a way off catching up with the meter..

justadad

Hi, the arrows are indicative, but they are not necessarily accurate. Even without any carb intake, the arrow might in 4-5 minutes change direction. Given that the libre gives you your glucose as it was 15 minutes ago, if you are low, you will probably know it before the libre tells you that you are low. Whenever uncertain, check with a conventional meter, is what i'd suggest.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @emily deacon I would defo do a finger prick test with a situation like that. The arrows do change fairly quickly I have found

D

Deleted Account

Doesn't it depend on how much insulin you have on board?
If I was falling fast with a lot of insulin on board from that level, I would definitely eat something.
If I was falling fast with no insulin on board, I would not.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Doesn't it depend on how much insulin you have on board?
If I was falling fast with a lot of insulin on board from that level, I would definitely eat something.
If I was falling fast with no insulin on board, I would not.

That my logic too.....so the arrows mean nothing, unless you're aware of IOB...:)

nrcklam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi justadad, how did you know/find out the Libre gives blood glucose which was 15 minutes ago??
The results from the meter and Libre are never the same.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You can set the scanner to tell you how much IOB you have, you get a little gingerbread man on the main screen that tells you how many active units and how long they have left. Quite handy!
And why isn't that in the app? Poor show. It's the main reason I use mySugr alongside librelink. Scan with the app then type the reading into mySugr

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Mel dCP,

Forgive my ignorance, what does IOB stand for??
Insulin on Board. What hasn't got used yet based on an algorithm using the values for carbs, what insulin you use (active time) and a few other things.

You need to be quite consistent with your record keeping for it to be trustworthy. I like it though. Often stops me adjusting unnecessarily.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
And why isn't that in the app? Poor show. It's the main reason I use mySugr alongside librelink. Scan with the app then type the reading into mySugr
I don’t use an app for scanning as my phone is too old! So no idea. It’s in the professional settings on the scanner, so maybe something we plebs aren’t supposed to set up ourselves... you can play around with ratios, timed targets and all sorts in there, you just need the code. I punch all my numbers into MySugr too, I really like the interface of that. I then upload my scanner onto LibreLink when I’m waiting for a new sensor to activate every other Thursday.