Type 1 Diabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Hi everyone,

What does everyone do when their blood sugars are high? My blood sugars were 13.5 (which is high for me, I thought it was meant to be between 5-7) at 2:04am this morning. I took a correction shot of 1 unit but I just wondered what anyone else did when their blood sugars were high? I was diagnosed in May 2017 so I'm still new to all this. Any support or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Aaron x

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
Correction and/or a walk, depending on how high.

Reactions: selfie_king1990

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My blood sugars were 13.5 (which is high for me, I thought it was meant to be between 5-7) at 2:04am this morning. I took a correction shot of 1 unit but I just wondered what anyone else did when their blood sugars were high?
I just take a correction shot :) (the amount depends on you (as everyone is different) and how high it is)

Reactions: selfie_king1990

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know if you're still in any sort of honeymoon or not but keep a close eye on corrections - I found them erratic from highs sometimes and even a modest correction had the potential to send me hypo within 2 hours presumably because my sputtering organ decided to help out during the descent. :rolleyes:

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Correction dose. Depending on time of day and levels of blood glucose, then checking bloods every 20 mins thanks to the libre :D

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Correct and monitor then problem solve e.g. are you ill? mis counted carbs or under dosed insulin? Pen working okay? Were you stressed or had not slept well? Done weights?
It may appear random and after 36 years I still do many correction doses but worth doing detective work to see if there is a pattern to it.

livabet1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone,

What does everyone do when their blood sugars are high? My blood sugars were 13.5 (which is high for me, I thought it was meant to be between 5-7) at 2:04am this morning. I took a correction shot of 1 unit but I just wondered what anyone else did when their blood sugars were high? I was diagnosed in May 2017 so I'm still new to all this. Any support or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Aaron x
Hi Aaron,
Ive been type 1 for 60yrs. I use Novorapid and would take 1unit for every 2mmol/l above 7 mmol/l BS to take my BS back to normal and check periodically to check rate of fall.
So in your case with a BS of 13.5 I would take 3 units of Novorapid to take it back to normoglycaemia.
Hope you can get used to sorting things out.
Mark