pizza :(

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i ate some pizza yesterday i notice its very slow digesting and raised my sugar even today in morning and seem like insulin not working now like its made me more resistance to insulin does anyone else have similar affect after eating pizza

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Yes, the fat from the cheese (and meat) slows down the glucose rise, so it’s really difficult to work out insulin doses for it. Google “fathead pizza” for recipes that won’t spike your BG :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It is called 'The Pizza Effect'. It is something to do with the ratio of fats to carbs, the perfect storm. Fathead pizza is a great alternative and really easy to make. The recipe is on Dietdoctor dot com if you are interested.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Yes, the fat from the cheese (and meat) slows down the glucose rise, so it’s really difficult to work out insulin doses for it. Google “fathead pizza” for recipes that won’t spike your BG :)
Typing at the same time! Great minds...

Reactions: Kevin259

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @static192 It's actually got a name - 'the pizza effect' as the fat slows the absorption of carbs meaning you're more likely to go high later on, you can look at doing a split bolus injection to cover this, so taking 1/3 up front and 2/3's an hour later, it's still trial and error though based on how much you eat.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Yep Pizza is a nightmare - especially when you eat more than a slice or 2.
Pizza and beer tomorrow afternoon at work. I will be paying for that for all Friday at least I can swap out the beer for wine or spirits.

Reactions: wiserkurtious

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can vouch for the fathead version. The recipe is far too much for me but the dough keeps in the fridge for a couple of days. I can also recommend the dough for garlic bread using lurpack garlic butter. Yummy.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I LURVE pizza. But it plays holy hell with my bg's so really avoid it. When I do eat I split bolus - usually 1/3 just as I start to eat, 1/3 after an hour then the last 1/3 an hour later (longer if I am not in bed). It helps but can still spike thru the night

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Must google the fathead pizza! Always buy the bases and put own topping on so little cheese except for a grating of parmesan. The bought bases are usually better than my attempts at making them!

Reactions: Guzzler

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Alternatively, there's the Meatzza.

Yes, the base is made from minced beef. There are loads of recipes on t'interweb.

Reactions: WheelyFun and kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Must google the fathead pizza! Always buy the bases and put own topping on so little cheese except for a grating of parmesan. The bought bases are usually better than my attempts at making them!
There's a pizza base mix in my local supermarket that isn't 'too' high in carbs (compared with say a store made pizza) and once in a blue moon I do my young un and I one, tomato base/full ball of mozzarella/as much meat as possible, which has me needing an extra 2 or 3 units, but avoid delivery ones as I need a couple of injections for them.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
You can use a butterflied and flattened chicken breast too, I sometimes use slabs of aubergine.

Reactions: kev-w
D

Deleted Account

I make (and eat) my own pizzas.
I make "normal" pizza dough from scratch usually following a Paul Hollywood recipe but I also make a sourdough version if I don't have time to leave it to rest for the day.
I roll it thin and top it with tomato sauce (reduced pasata) and vegetables. I usually add a small amount of mozarella but sometimes just vegetables. One of my favourites is based on this moroccan pizza recipe

I need to split my insulin (40% before the pizza, 60% up to 4 hours later), as the base is thin and I don't have much fat in the toppings, I find I am able to eat normal pizza without much trouble.

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Am I the only person who finds this really hard to take.

I mean, I am going to be shouted at, but I am sitting here looking at the reality that I am never going to eat a papa john's greek pizza again, ever, in my entire life. Certainly not enjoy it. It's this sort of stuff that really gets under your skin.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
There's a future to everything ... always. We may not like to confront it, but neither will I hide away in the belief it doesn't exist

Reactions: flexi06

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In my personal experience, the confusing thing about pizza is that the more I eat, the longer it will take to digest.

If I eat 3/4 of a large pizza I don't need to split my dose. If I eat 1 large pizza I need to take significantly more insulin but I also need to take half of it at the beginning and half after an hour.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't get this effect, but when I have highs due to food (almost always due to over correcting for a low) I find that exercise is a highly effective way of getting stabilised/back down pretty quickly. Have you tried doing some walking right after your meal, or perhaps beforehand depending on how exercise affects you?

@NoKindOfSusie It is possible to enjoy pizza as a T1! (As part of a balanced diet, just like nondiabetic people) Try having just a small piece, see how it works for you, and once you know how you are affected you can eat a bit more!

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't seem to have problems with pizza either (including takeaway). I do, however, get messed up massively by pasta bake! And carbonara, and Shepherd's pie.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Tony wanders in............

I find pizza looks like someones been sick on a piece of cardboard........

Tony wanders out whistling a jaunty tune......