Diabetes snobbery

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a little insight into the social stigma of T2, I think. I’ve been curvy, then fat, then obese, then fat (working towards curvy again) my entire adult life, up to a UK size 28 at one point. I would tell people I had diabetes only if I had to, and I would get the “you brought it on yourself” tirade. Eat less! Move more! Low fat!

I vividly remember looking for a birthday cake in Asda for my then three year old son, and two men behind me started making siren alarm noises and shouting “WOOOT WOOOT LARD*RSE ALERT!!! STEP AWAY FROM THE CAKE! I REPEAT, STEP AWAY FROM THE CAKE!!” As you can imagine, I was mortified. That didn’t drive me to lose weight, I just went home and comfort ate chips, ending up with a DKA because I didn’t want to take insulin and nearly dying. I ended up with a lovely case of diabulimia. I hate to think what long term damage I’ve done.

People assume all T1s are skinny and all T2s are fat, and that’s so not the case. Nobody knows the battles another person fights every day. So yes, I think I have some understanding of how you guys feel.
I need a 'love' button to click. So sending hugs, xxx

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Coffee w/heavy cream, I make a home made low carb bread that has really helped me stay on track.
Hi

I want to vent my spleen so to speak and ask how many others have experienced Diabetes snobbery.

I know not everyone is like this, but last night, with friends - in of all places a pub, while subject of my diabetes come up, as I was drinking a very nice single malt (rare for me to drink anyway).

When one of the groups invited friend piped up that that my Type 2 was self induced, and T2's have only themselves to blame, where her type 1 was worse than Type 2's and proceeded to regale us with her history and ailments.

Now I have no interest in point scoring, so kept quiet, excused myself earlier than I normally would, and went home, where I stewed on the fact that there is some gulf that; either there needs some bridging between the types so each understands the other, or I just found the one person who has to feel superior in my area.

As I was only diagnosed in February 2018, I found the experience somewhat amusing, but perplexing, which has me wondering is this something that will rear its ugly head often

Which is why I never ever tell anyone about my personal medical situation. It's really unfortunate that you had to be attacked like this from some clueless friend, let alone a stranger. I'd tell them to F**k off politely.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I vividly remember looking for a birthday cake in Asda for my then three year old son, and two men behind me started making siren alarm noises and shouting “WOOOT WOOOT LARD*RSE ALERT!!! STEP AWAY FROM THE CAKE! I REPEAT, STEP AWAY FROM THE CAKE!!” As you can imagine, I was mortified. That didn’t drive me to lose weight, I just went home and comfort ate chips, ending up with a DKA because I didn’t want to take insulin and nearly dying. I ended up with a lovely case of diabulimia. I hate to think what long term damage I’ve done.

There was a time in my life when I was very fit, muscular and trained in violence. I never used that violence and I normally am very glad about that. Sometimes, however...

Anyway I've sent a hug, which doesn't really cover it :(

Reactions: MikeTurin

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I’m type two LADA, and have diabetis now for over three years. I live in Italy and go to a diabetic clinic every four months. I check regularly my blood sugar and also do blood tests every 3 months. Here it’s all free of charge. I get sent for eye tests, feet tests , cardio check ups etc at least once a year. I’m on 5 tablets a day not insulin. I walk every day about 4 km and I do a low carb diet. However, I have to say that I started off with 3 tablets daily, but even though I lost all the extra weight, it’s a big fight to keep my blood sugar in check.

Welcome to the forum.

You are doing the right thing, tackling it with diet and lifestyle and also taking the medication you need. I hope it only gets better and you can reduce the medication. If not, then I hope you will take the medication with no sense of failure and enjoy life! This is probably the best place on Earth to get help tackling the problem, it may be worth starting a thread and posting something similar to what you just have, people will give you a ton of advice.

ErylV

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’m sorry to hear of the distress caused by ‘diabetic snobbery’ and a number of very good points have been made in this thread. I’m Type 2 myself, but have come accross a number of type 1’s in the outreach work that I do and have consequently got a great deal of sympathy for the plight of people suffering this devestating disease, through no fault of their own.

Am I at fault for my Type 2? Its comforting to hear that its a hormonal problem that might have caused my apex weight of 21stone and that my exessive abuse of food and drink over many years had nothing to do with it! Neither did my avoidence of exercise or my fondness for late night ice cream...

I have adopted a LCHF lifestyle over the last two years, weight down to 15 stone, HBA1c of 42 (from 92) and an hour’s brisk exercise every day. Its a hard, if rewarding, slog at times and I comfort myself with the thought that I am taking back control of my own destiny.

Part of my motivation to persevere with the changes is to accept that I have been very negligent of my own wellbeing in the past and that seems to keep me going. I am responsible for my predicament and especially my weight but I now know that things could have been very different had I taken this kind of action much earlier..

And I understand the prejudice against obesity as I have a big problem with it and me! People behaving badly is very much par for the course, but you seem to be taking action to combat this disease and that is by far the most important thing here!

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm quite lucky ... My father was type 1 and I am type 2. I see both points of view and neither is better or worse. He could eat what he wanted and adjusted insulin to suit; I can't do that. But I can eat low carb and keep my numbers in line and avoid complications; he had a difficult time with that. I wouldn't trade one for the other. We are all in the same boat ... trying to figure out how to live as best we can with diabetes. If anyone is expected to understand us, it is our forum friends.

I just wanted to quote that because I thought it was really nice.

I think I'm going to stop posting in this thread, because it's all getting a bit blurred. My posts defending people with T2 against judgmentalism have absolutely nothing to do with comparing T1 and T2. They have nothing to do with T1 at all in fact, and may only help to fuel polarisation which is totally unwarranted. I think I'm right to be angry, but not in this thread!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I am leaving the thread too. Not feeling that folks really understand the issue even here in this forum. I'm feeling quite depressed about it as well, I need a rest.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its comforting to hear that its a hormonal problem that might have caused my apex weight of 21stone and that my exessive abuse of food and drink over many years had nothing to do with it! Neither did my avoidence of exercise or my fondness for late night ice cream...
I am pleased for you.

However, I and many others did not abuse food and drink, did not avoid exercise or binge on ice cream, yet we are still fat and still type 2 diabetics.

As with so many things, we are all different, and all deserving of respect and support, not condemnation or judgement.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am I at fault for my Type 2? Its comforting to hear that its a hormonal problem that might have caused my apex weight of 21stone and that my exessive abuse of food and drink over many years had nothing to do with it! Neither did my avoidence of exercise or my fondness for late night ice cream...

Even though you are judging yourself, I won't judge you for that as I know that sometimes overeating can be caused by depression or filling an emotional void with food. I don't believe you decided one day to let things slide and become a lazy fatty. No-one does that. Maybe you just didn't value yourself enough to care. All of your life experiences and any physical/mental issues (even those you aren't aware of) will have led to this. My husband eats excessively .... I don't, yet he is the slim one. So why should you blame yourself when there are many people who have your old lifestyle and they just don't get fat?

coldhouse43

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m fat and Type 1.

I used to be thin and Type 1.

I occasionally get the sneers from someone who wrongly thinks I’m diabetic because I’m fat, and that it’s any of their business, and that their opinion is of any interest or value.

I’m diabetic because of an injury on active duty with the UN in Bosnia back in 95.

That shuts them up with their whining about tax money.

Regardless, the best response to any shaming or put down is an aggressive one. Tell them to shut their mouth. Don’t be polite about it. The polite button was disengaged when they started yapping.

pjs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Mick1959,

First of all hugs from me. No one should have to go through what you had to listen to.

I'm not sure it is necessarily a matter of one-upmanship, but one of society at large. The other day, I followed a link to an older article in the New York Times. The article reported that about 15% to 20% of T2s are normal body weight. One of the readers' responses was that definitely those normal-weight T2s must have been misdiagnosed and if they were subjected to an antibody test, they would all turn out to be T1s. Mind you, this reader seemed to know quite a lot about diabetes -- but rather than change his thinking about T2s, he rather assumed that the medical professionals had misdiagnosed all these people. (I guess he never heard about the large number of Pakistanis and Indians being diagnosed with T2 and normal body weight.)

Anyway, I find there is quite convincing evidence that weight increase and lower activity levels are the result of insulin resistance rather than vice versa. This also makes sense to me on a logical level. Having insulin resistance and high insulin levels simultaneously will very likely lead to increasing hunger and lower energy levels. On the one hand due to the insulin resistance, insulin can't push enough glucose into the cells and your cells are "semi-starved" thus we experience hunger and lack of energy. On the other hand high insulin, doesn't allow us to access our fat stores and thus we have problems losing weight and also have a harder time using stored fat to make up for the lack of energy from glucose.

The problem though is that insulin resistance and high insulin levels exist maybe a decade before blood glucose levels rise significantly, so the weight gains precedes the diagnosis of T2 leading medical professionals and many researchers to think that it is the weight that causes T2. Maybe, this thinking will change once we start measuring circulating insulin levels and not only blood glucose levels.

Personally, I don't blame myself for my T2 diabetes. Definitely changing my lifestyle improved it, so it is certainly lifestyle-related. The issue though is that the lifestyle that causes it, is the one recommended by official bodies. So, can we be blamed for not knowing any better? I used to drink loads of fruit juice thinking it was healty. Now, I understand that this is probably one of the worst things we can do not only because of the glucose it contains, but also because the high levels of fructose and lack of fiber which lead to fatty liver. Also, I used to enjoy bread very much, which is also a no-no for me now.

Anyway, it will take a change of paradigm in thinking about T2 to change these prejudices -- and maybe some will never accept that insulin resistance is the root cause of T2 and not sloth and gluttony.
What about those of us who are and have always been slim but have type 2. I had a strong family history. Is this self imposed? I'll add that I'm also fed up that it seems to be purely associated with obesity - it's not. Rant over!

Reactions: RAPS_od

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I want to vent my spleen so to speak and ask how many others have experienced Diabetes snobbery.

I know not everyone is like this, but last night, with friends - in of all places a pub, while subject of my diabetes come up, as I was drinking a very nice single malt (rare for me to drink anyway).

When one of the groups invited friend piped up that that my Type 2 was self induced, and T2's have only themselves to blame, where her type 1 was worse than Type 2's and proceeded to regale us with her history and ailments.

Now I have no interest in point scoring, so kept quiet, excused myself earlier than I normally would, and went home, where I stewed on the fact that there is some gulf that; either there needs some bridging between the types so each understands the other, or I just found the one person who has to feel superior in my area.

As I was only diagnosed in February 2018, I found the experience somewhat amusing, but perplexing, which has me wondering is this something that will rear its ugly head often

There's a saying that, I feel, might be appropriate here. It mentions empty vessels and noise. There's another one you might like to think about too - it simply states that still waters run deep. Apply these as you see fit, to those who talk about diabetes.

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know your frustration. As a new T1 when I was 12, I was pulled into my counselor's office and told to keep quiet about my diabetes because people saw it as a character flaw. Seriously.
There are some who will never experience T1 or T2, no matter how much they eat or how little they exercise. My mother was one of those at 250 lbs and 5 feet flat. There are some who no matter how fit or active they are will face T1 or T2. Genetics are funny like that.
But comparing miseries? Mine is worse than yours? That's bunk, and the person that said that should feel great shame. Unfortunately, here in the States that same idiotic belief prevails: Mick Mulvaney, who is Trump's budget director, said that he felt diabetics shouldn't be able to get health insurance because they just sit around and eat poorly. (https://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/blog/diabetes-discrimination-mick-mulvaney/)
Sigh.

VivD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
bigoted and selfish people, this Government, grey cold windy days
Hi

Just ask how they explain Steve Redgrave. :)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll add that I'm also fed up that it seems to be purely associated with obesity
I agree.

I am also fed up that it is even associated with obesity, as in it being seen as a consequence of obesity, instead of people understanding that obesity is, for some, a symptom of diabetes, not a cause at all. A fact which some, even on this forum, seem to still not grasp.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I vividly remember looking for a birthday cake in Asda for my then three year old son, and two men behind me started making siren alarm noises and shouting “WOOOT WOOOT LARD*RSE ALERT!!! STEP AWAY FROM THE CAKE! I REPEAT, STEP AWAY FROM THE CAKE!!” .

Men?
I read this earlier with disbelief thinking you could be wearing a size 24 I don't wear womens clothes so am guessing it's a larger size or whatever and what business is it of a passer by to comment, and 2 blokes doing that to any lass, t1, t2, plain Jane, k9 or whatever in any shape or form are just low life bullies, nowt more and nowt less.

Replies such as 'why not save those few brain cells for breathing with mate, it'd save the dribble on your chin' often work in those situations...

Last edited:

mefunk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a little insight into the social stigma
I have a little insight into the social stigma of T2, I think. I’ve been curvy, then fat, then obese, then fat (working towards curvy again) my entire adult life, up to a UK size 28 at one point. I would tell people I had diabetes only if I had to, and I would get the “you brought it on yourself” tirade. Eat less! Move more! Low fat!

People assume all T1s are skinny and all T2s are fat, and that’s so not the case. Nobody knows the battles another person fights every day. So yes, I think I have some understanding of how you guys feel.
How awful that you experienced such cruel words from those two men. My heart goes out to you and anyone who is subjected to this type of abuse.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This douchebaggery is really awful because could have consequences
http://torino.corriere.it/cronaca/1...io-937e9256-38ab-11e8-88e7-5b815ecb2975.shtml
https://www.ilmessaggero.it/primopiano/cronaca/beatrice_ingui_treno_torino_suicidio-3650319.html

I'll translate the most important paragraphs.
TURIN - The voluntary gesture is among the hypotheses on the Wednesday morning accident in Turin at the Porta Susa station where Beatrice Inguì, a fifteen-year-old student, died under the 2005 Turin-Milan regional train. From the video surveillance images of track 4, acquired by the railway police, neither the backpack of the young woman did not hook to the train, nor the girl did not slip nor the dock was not too crowded.
Beatrice Inguì, the 15-year-old girl who was dragged by the train to the Porta Susa station yesterday in Turin , maybe had committed suicide. In the diary was written a possible reason for the extreme gesture."I'm too fat," wrote the girl from Rivoli.
In her room the police officers have found a diary, on which Beatrice has explained his desire to end it all. On the last page, together with the request for an apology for her parents, the word "Goodbye".
Fat shaming could kill, especially teens, especially when other teens starts to mock and bully.

Shiba Park

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On the other hand, i know some what me worry type 1s on a pump whose attitude is to in your face eat stuff we type 2s are not going to regularly eat, and then in your face say something like their pump is going to cover eating as they like, then I get kind of silently irritated and trudge on if they go judgemental on me.

To my mind this isn't a T1 superiority thing, there's been plenty of examples of this kind of behaviour between T1's... Some people are just like that and inevitably some will be T1, T2, MODY, LADA etc so they will appear on these forums. Fortunately, we notice them because they are rare, the vast majority here are reasonable, considerate, compassionate, caring people - but we don't notice them...

Mick1959

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I originally posted, I thought the problem was just an odd incident and more likely to be the individual having a bad day.

I did not think the problem was as wide as it appears, there have been some sad stories told, and in telling them they must have opened old wounds.

For those members, I say thank you for sharing your experiences.

Perhaps the industry and the medical profession should encourage an understanding of the types, from when you are first diagnosed - because I must admit and decent hand book about my own Type 2 would have been helpful, along with how it differs from type 1, LADA etc.

What I have learnt from everyone posting is there is still some misunderstanding, and maybe what was written, maybe did not convey the meaning or understanding, the spoken word can convey, and like in life we are all different

Vive la difference

Reactions: Antje77