WHAT IN THE WORLD?!

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A non-doctor (fortunately) advised switching from Basal Bolus to basal and humalog mix! Have any of you heard of such combination?!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
A non-doctor (fortunately) advised switching from Basal Bolus to basal and humalog mix! Have any of you heard of such combination?!
Not for a type1.
Stick to your medical team insulin only.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

Since premixed is basal and bolus combined in one solution I don't understand what the benefits would be?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Because "Humalog mix lasts longer than Humalog to cover between meals"

After 3-1/2 years on mixed insulin, I recently changed to basal/bolus and multiple daily injections. I don't see how the long acting part of humalog mix is any different to humalog. If you're planning on using a 50/50 or 25/75 mix on top of a basal insulin you will have a lot of basal insulin inside you that will have the capacity to drive your glucose levels very low.

Similarly, unless you have a very low carb diet, you are unlikely to have enough fast acting insulin to cope with meals.

I can understand why a person would take mixed insulin and top up with a bolus for carbohydrates at mealtimes which is what I often did. But I cannot understand what you're suggesting.

Last edited:

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After 3-1/2 years on mixed insulin, I recently changed to basal/bolus and multiple daily injections. I don't see how the long acting part of humalog mix is any different to humalog. If you're planning on using a 50/50 or 25/75 mix on top of a basal insulin you will have a lot of basal insulin inside you that will have the capacity to drive your glucose levels very low.

Similarly, unless you have a very low carb diet, you are unlikely to have enough fast acting insulin to cope with meals.

I can understand why a person would take mixed insulin and top up with a bolus for carbohydrates at mealtimes which is what I often did,. But I cannot understand what you're suggesting.
I didn't agree.. I didn't suggest. Not going to risk for it. I can completely understand having 2 basals working together inside my system.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Sounds dangerous to me and I’ve been on Humalog Mix50 before. Pretty rapid acting too. Stick to your doctor’s advice.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Coming from a someone who is not a doctor this is extremely dangerous advice, do not attempt changing your insulin regime unless it comes direct from your doctor/GP.

Reactions: urbanracer
D

Deleted member 308541

Coming from a someone who is not a doctor this is extremely dangerous advice, do not attempt changing your insulin regime unless it comes direct from your doctor/GP.
I concur with this.

Stick to a qualified medical team than some low life snake oil salesman.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This might be worth trying if your sugars tend to rise sharply several hours after a meal. Of course, don't make any changes without professional medical guidance.

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This might be worth trying if your sugars tend to rise sharply several hours after a meal. Of course, don't make any changes without professional medical guidance.
I'd end up having 2 basals working together in the background so things will be very messy!

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd end up having 2 basals working together in the background so things will be very messy!

Not necessarily. If one's digestion is slower than average and one's insulin absorption is faster than average then the "slow" part of the mix can mostly be covering the tail end of their meals. But it seems silly to use a mix to correct high BGs.