questionnnn...

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Heeeey,

I'm ordering some stuff from accu-chek tomorrow for when i start the pump so i've been looking at infusion sets, what length tubing do most people use?

My nurse wrote down the number and the different infusion sets, she also noted down 70cm? i assume this is tubing, however on the site it says 30, 60, 80 and 110cm.

I was thinking 60cm, but my mum said she thought 30cm? so i have no idea so looking for opinions please? :)

spaanks.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I do not know about pumps and their peripherals, but can the tubing be cut to the approximate length needed as I do with a nebuliser?

Hazza

Hi Ebony, the tubing length will depend on where you have the pump and where you put the cannula.
We tend to favour the shorter lengths as they are les prone to getting tangled and twisted. When we were using flexlinks we had 40cm tubing which was the shortest but sometimes we used the 70cm which were way too long. Now that we are using the Rapid D links we are using 20cm tubing but there is a slight tail on the cannula which makes it another 4cm.
I would get some string and decide where you are going to place the pump and infusion set and then measure the length that you need allowing for a bit of slack.

The tubing cannot be cut as the ends are glued on and cannot be re-attatched.
Hope this is some help.

Harry

ebony321

Dislikes
Hazza said:
Hi Ebony, the tubing length will depend on where you have the pump and where you put the cannula.
We tend to favour the shorter lengths as they are les prone to getting tangled and twisted. When we were using flexlinks we had 40cm tubing which was the shortest but sometimes we used the 70cm which were way too long. Now that we are using the Rapid D links we are using 20cm tubing but there is a slight tail on the cannula which makes it another 4cm.
I would get some string and decide where you are going to place the pump and infusion set and then measure the length that you need allowing for a bit of slack.

The tubing cannot be cut as the ends are glued on and cannot be re-attatched.
Hope this is some help.

Harry

That's a good idea! i'm going to hunt for some string and a tape measure as i'm no good at guessing how long an inch is nevermind a 30 or so cm's! :lol:

shame you can't cut them to be a perfect length though. I think i may go for a longer one better than being too short?

Didn't think about all this stuff until now!

thanks alot, most helpful :)

iHs

Hi

I haven't used a very short tube yet, I've always gone for 60, 70 or 80cms. The 60cm is fairly good but I like the 80cm best as I can have a wash without disconnecting the tube. I just hang the pump on one of those suction type bathroom hooks on my ceramic tiles and wherever the set is located on my body, I can move the suction hook around.

They say that the really long tubes (100cm) tend to get air bubbles more whereas the shorter tubes don't or if they do, it's easier to prime them out.

The good thing about the Accu chek tubes is that they are fairly resilient and it's difficult to knot them as they will come undone fairly quickly. They are glossy though so it can be difficult to see air bubbles unless a magnifier is used.

Accu chek will give you a pair of weighing scales and the Smart Pix for transferring the data on the pump over to a PC. They also do a Pump bg monitoring diary which is good and this is what I use every day. I would urge you to ask for some as then you'll be able to put down all your basal rates, bg levels, carb eaten, bolus, correction bolus, set changes etc and it will be easier for you to spot when you need to change things.

Hopefully when you get the pump, yr dsn will give you some vials of insulin and some tubes of Glucogel incase the starting rate that she sets you on with the pump is too much and you go a bit low (most likely the night). As you have got the handset, make sure your GP prescribes you enough strips as you will need to test about 8 times a day to start off with.

Dustydazzler

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sore feet, spiders, feeling hungry, night time hypos
I started on the 30cm and it was far too short. If the pump was in my pocket, I couldn't take my trousers down far enough to go to to toilet. An when I was getting changed, it wouldn't reach the bed. I tried 90cm and had tubing coiled up everywhere. I'm on 60cm now and it's perfect. It can stay in my pocket when I use the bathroom. Also, it just about reaches my bra when I've got the canula on my thigh. Practicing a day with string is a fantastic idea :).

Also, if you get the same delivery as me... They give you 3 boxes with the tubing - why notsay you are new to pumping so can u try 3 boxes of different lengths. I'm sure they would help :) good luck. Exciting times hey!!

sugar2

Hi, When I strated on teh accuchek pump, everyone who started at the same time was given 60cm tubing...just a few, as this was the standard, It may not be teh optimum for everyone or even anyone, but we all manged to use it for a week without toomuch complaint. Our heights ranged from 5 ft to about 6ft 2.

Since then, I have moved to the short, 30 cm version, as I tend to wear the pump hanging from my bra or in a pocket...and, as I am short, this is perfect for me.

I would say, get a few 60cms...and see how you go...once you know what you like..stck up on what works best for you.
Best of luck!

jopar

I use the 60cm length and find this to be good for me..

But I suggest when you phone Roche ask them to send you samples of the different length's and infusion sets, so you can try a couple to see what suits you best...

And if you decide on one, and later on feel that one of the others would have been a better option just ask for your order to be changed...

ebony321

Dislikes
Thanks for all your replies everyone!

When i had my sort of 'pre-pump appointment' the nurse faxed mydoctor a list of things i would need on my prescription to start the pump, so i already have one vial of insulin and i've swpped from ketostix to ketone blood testing strips. I have an appointment with my doctor next wednesday anyway so will be asking for my amount of strips to go up a little per prescription as im sure my testing will amost double!.

i was also given one of those diaries i think you mean, it has a page for each day so lasts about a month andlooks pretty good, i currently use a DAFNE one, but i don't think i could use that with a pump.

i certainlylike the idea of transferring everything onto a PC to have a better look to spot anything that needs changing!

I think i like the idea of 60cm tubing, at first anyway. as dusty said i was worried about yanking my trousers down and yanking the set out! :lol:

And that i could shower with it connected and hang the pump out somewhere, i guess i won't know these things until i try it out :)

thanks again for all your replies and i will chck that site out too thanks harry!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just to add to the 'we're all different'. I use the shorter tubing, I tend to wear the pump at my waist very casionally in my bra. Even the short length is sometimes seems too long and I have to keep tucking away coils of tubing. No problems going to the loo, but I'm only 5ft 3in.

ebony321

Dislikes
phoenix said:
Just to add to the 'we're all different'. I use the shorter tubing, I tend to wear the pump at my waist very casionally in my bra. Even the short length is sometimes seems too long and I have to keep tucking away coils of tubing. No problems going to the loo, but I'm only 5ft 3in.

It seems that it's all down to personal preference, where you wear the pump and how tall you are :lol:

I'm 5''4 so maybe i would be okay with the shorter tubing :) hmmmm..

Slinger

ebony321 said:
Thanks for all your replies everyone!

And that i could shower with it connected and hang the pump out somewhere, i guess i won't know these things until i try it out :)

thanks again for all your replies and i will chck that site out too thanks harry!

this is something that i havent seen covered.

who showers with thier pump still attached. i never have done. i alway disconnect it and reattach first thing. i also check my BG after being disconnected for whatever reason: showering, refilling or a roll between the sheets :roll:

Hazza

We always disconnect when showering or having a bath or when she does PE at school, never needed to bolus for the missed insulin and so far have not had any problems :D

Harry