injecting into stretch marks

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi i was wondering does injecting into stretch marks affect novorapid insulin absorption at all?. iv been told not to inject into stretch marks

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
my stomach is full of stretch marks from when i had my children so i dont have a choice not to inject into them was never told not to though. who told you this if you dont mind me asking .

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @static192 yes you shouldn’t inject into scar tissue as it will affect absorption try and keep at least 1 inch away.

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
my stomach is full of stretch marks from when i had my children so i dont have a choice not to inject into them was never told not to though. who told you this if you dont mind me asking .
hey i was told by diabetic nurse

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @static192 yes you shouldn’t inject into scar tissue as it will affect absorption try and keep at least 1 inch away.
Hi juicy my stomach is quite covered in strech marks i dont think ive got an inch between do you think thats why i have issues with my bolus insulin as dn has never told me this although she does check my stomach .

D

Deleted Account

As stretch marks are a form of scar tissue and scar tissue affects the absorption of insulin, the advice you have makes sense about not injecting into them.
I have a surgical scar which I have to avoid for the same reason.

SueNSW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Was also told the same - not to inject into stretch marks. I restrict to basically the area between my belly button up to my boobs - sort of midriff I guess.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi juicy my stomach is quite covered in strech marks i dont think ive got an inch between do you think thats why i have issues with my bolus insulin as dn has never told me this although she does check my stomach .

Hi Karen your Dsn should of told you this as they should be trained in administering injections, pinch an inch on thighs, buttocks, midriff areas but I would avoid stretch marks.

Reactions: karen8967

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Karen your Dsn should of told you this as they should be trained in administering injections, pinch an inch on thighs, buttocks, midriff areas but I would avoid stretch marks.
Thanks juicy i do use buttocks and thighs its also quite hard to pinch an inch due to weight loss (and im not bragging there)im on dafne course this morning so will mention this to nurse as she changed my insulin last week but ive never connected strech marks with the problems ive been having so thanks for replying and advice

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @karen8967 its good for all insulin dependent diabetics to get sites checked regularly, I know it’s not done at the moment but we all need to be pushing at appointments for this, my consultant only ever looks at my feet :banghead:

Reactions: karen8967

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @karen8967 its good for all insulin dependent diabetics to get sites checked regularly, I know it’s not done at the moment but we all need to be pushing at appointments for this, my consultant only ever looks at my feet :banghead:
just back from my course juicy and you was right .i did ask 3 times why i was never told this but im still waiting for answer :wideyed:also i told her that i had injected into the side of my thigh and she said that was wrong too .although i get my best readings when i do inject there its a complete mystery to me .once again thanks for advice

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
just back from my course juicy and you was right .i did ask 3 times why i was never told this but im still waiting for answer :wideyed:also i told her that i had injected into the side of my thigh and she said that was wrong too .although i get my best readings when i do inject there its a complete mystery to me .once again thanks for advice

It’s good you asked but I would be inclined to ignore the advice of this nurse, thighs are fine just as long as you can pinch an inch there then it shouldn’t be an issue, only you will know for sure what areas work best for you as your meter will tell you :)

Reactions: Dodo and karen8967

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve never been told this either... I’ve got stretch marks all over my stomach and sides from my one pregnancy. There isn’t an inch between them. Problem is, I’ve also got them all over my thighs and bum from where I grew tall incredibly quickly as a teenager. I’ve literally got tiger stripes all over my lower half :D

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually inject through my shirt, so I must be hitting a stretch mark regularly. My bg usually behaves like I expect it to, so it doesn't seem to affect how the insulin is absorbed.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Luckily I only have 2 stretch marks on the upper abdomen. I got off lightly in that respect. So they are out of the way but it is not something I have heard about before.
Re pinching I was told to not do so.