Insulin sensitivity connected to periods? Sorry boys!

molepigeon

I've been T1 since 1999 and never really had any issues until recently where my sensitivity to insulin has started to vary wildly Yesterday for example, I had my usual 15 units of lantus in the morning then didn't inject any novorapid all day yet had constant hypos. I woke up and it was low so had two spoons of jam. Got to work and it was 3.5 so had my breakfast (sachet of porridge) then an hour later it's low again. Had a dried fruit bar and a hot chocolate, hour later low again. And so on. In the evening I even had a nandos followed by an entire bag of liquorice alsorts and it crept up to 5.4 (hurrah!) Nor a single unit of bolus all day. At night I'd usually have 20 basal but instead had 10. Expected to wake up high, but no, woke up at 2.8.
The only thing that has changed recently is I stopped taking the pill a few months ago. I'm 36 and the doctors didn't like the one I was on and I didn't fancy having any of the other options. So this is actually the first time I've had normal periods whilst being diabetic. Could it be related to this ? It seems to be roughly the same time each month and I'm incredibly sensitive to insulin for a few days .Shortly before my period I seem to need extra insulin, I'll wake up in the teens in the morning for the week beforehand.
Has anyone else experienced anything like this or should I trot off to see my consultant? It's a bit annoying!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Sorry boys? I'll have you know we're all modern men around here ( well there's a few dinosaurs),

Take a look at this information page, I'm sure some of the 'girls' will be along when they've finished doing their hair! ;)

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/periods-and-diabetes.html

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: urbanracer

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes though not been on the pill for 10 years. I am insulin resistant (need extra 4 units of basal (30%+) of basal.
Not sure about the hypo days though in relation to the MC but I think we all get days when our basal seems to be going pear shaped (boys too).
When I notice the pmt coming on I usually whack up my basal.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been T1 since 1999 and never really had any issues until recently where my sensitivity to insulin has started to vary wildly Yesterday for example, I had my usual 15 units of lantus in the morning then didn't inject any novorapid all day yet had constant hypos. I woke up and it was low so had two spoons of jam. Got to work and it was 3.5 so had my breakfast (sachet of porridge) then an hour later it's low again. Had a dried fruit bar and a hot chocolate, hour later low again. And so on. In the evening I even had a nandos followed by an entire bag of liquorice alsorts and it crept up to 5.4 (hurrah!) Nor a single unit of bolus all day. At night I'd usually have 20 basal but instead had 10. Expected to wake up high, but no, woke up at 2.8.
The only thing that has changed recently is I stopped taking the pill a few months ago. I'm 36 and the doctors didn't like the one I was on and I didn't fancy having any of the other options. So this is actually the first time I've had normal periods whilst being diabetic. Could it be related to this ? It seems to be roughly the same time each month and I'm incredibly sensitive to insulin for a few days .Shortly before my period I seem to need extra insulin, I'll wake up in the teens in the morning for the week beforehand.
Has anyone else experienced anything like this or should I trot off to see my consultant? It's a bit annoying!

Hi molepigeon - If I recall correctly, @Mel dCP has variable insulin requirements through her cycle. Hopefully she'll respond to the tagging.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi! Yes, I’ve noticed that the week before my period starts that I’m quite insulin resistant, I need a unit extra of my basal (Tresiba) a day. And no matter what I do, I seem to get a high late morning that is really stubborn. As soon as it starts I’m more sensitive to insulin than usual - I’m only really establishing what the pattern is since I got my Libre in January. Just another example of bodies not listening to the numbers...

molepigeon

OK thanks for the replies. I'd been looking into it and found lots about being insulin resistant but not the other way round. Was concerned something was wrong! Glad to hear it's not just me. I'll have to keep a proper record so I'm expecting it next time. I have a couple of apps, I'm just lazy at inputting the data!
After nearly 20 years I thought I knew what I was doing, now my body has thrown me a curve ball!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I only realised what was happening this month - I’ve been using the MySugr app for a couple of months, and tagging period days with the “menstruation” tag. So when I had a couple of days that were higher this month, I checked back (you can search tags) and realised that it was the week before. The resistance is only really in the mornings. I’ve been correcting using my higher morning ratio, but it’s been having little effect. So then I take more and end up hypo in the afternoon... I’m trying to work out a strategy to deal with it!

sninge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ive noticed a pattern since i went on a pump ( about 11 yrs ) my usual pattern was 1 week before i went resistant and needed 130% basal but the day my period started i was much more sensitive and needed to drop my basal to 80% and this could last for a week!!
That said over the last few months things are changing which i expected is my age!!!! I now find some months I might only need 130% over night or during the day and the day i start im often no longer get more sensitive. Thank goodness for the libre!!!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sadly yes it’s a fact of life that hormones in whatever shape or form will interfere with bg management, so yes women do have this additional input to calculate against each month, I can see up to a third increase with insulin around the time of the month but it does also vary month to month, sometimes I hardly notice a difference and other times it’s clearly affecting me.

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Me too.

Is it worth taking the pill so as to have better numbers? Kinda expensive and god knows I have no other reason to be on the pill right now.

Grouchy face.

Bic

Type of diabetes
Type 1

To answer the question in your post's title: Yes, definitely, and it's not that uncommon, I gather. Of course asking your consultant for advice is a very good idea, but expect insulin sensitivity to vary wildly during periods, and be sure to monitor your BG rather more strictly than usual. Can be a nuisance, but it works.
Best wishes!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too.

Is it worth taking the pill so as to have better numbers? Kinda expensive and god knows I have no other reason to be on the pill right now.

Grouchy face.
I thought the contraceptive pill was free on the NHS.