How well do you feel engaged in your treatment and care?

• Very satisfied

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Satisfied

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Neutral

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Unsatisfied

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Very unsatisfied

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters

ThomasC 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Everyone,

How do I get the best of out of my consultation? and what do you think about being involved in your treatment decisions?

Does your doctor allow you to bring up topics and are you involved actually involved in decision about your treatment?

I have heard a lot of different opinions about this topic and would like to know if you have any tips, that might help me get more out of my visits at the clinic.

Best, Thomas

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My consultant encourages and enables. His mantra is, it is your diabetes and you know it better than anyone.

Advice would be make a list of everything you want to ask. Question everything and make suggestions of your own.

Unless they are diabetic themselves, their knowledge will only be medical and experience. Not day to day reality!

Reactions: Kevin259 and Dodo

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome to the forum. Is your survey (very unusual as a first post) limited to those members who have Type 1 Diabetes or is it open to all?

ThomasC 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My consultant encourages and enables. His mantra is, it is your diabetes and you know it better than anyone.

Advice would be make a list of everything you want to ask. Question everything and make suggestions of your own.

Unless they are diabetic themselves, their knowledge will only be medical and experience. Not day to day reality!

Thank you Becca, this is very useful! Sounds like you doctor is a bit different than mine :)

D

Deleted member 308541

Hello Everyone,

How do I get the best of out of my consultation? and what do you think about being involved in your treatment decisions?

Does your doctor allow you to bring up topics and are you involved actually involved in decision about your treatment?

I have heard a lot of different opinions about this topic and would like to know if you have any tips, that might help me get more out of my visits at the clinic.

Best, Thomas
As I pay my GP anything between $60.00 and $120.00 per visit depending on length of time, I have my say about treatment as well.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make it my business to be involved. They are my appointments, for me, so I owe it to myself, and the tax payer that I get the best out of them.

I always do my prep beforehand and have my agenda. Before I leave the consultation room, I check my notes to ensure I have covered my agenda. My GP now usually asks what's on the agenda when I see her. She's getting the hang of it. :)

Some Doctors are a bit intimidated by patients who want to be at the hub of their care, but I find they respond well if we're polite and explain clearly what we want, and/or need.

I always, always ensure I have any test results before and meeting to discuss them. What I want to know can differ from what the medics want to tell me. For face-to-face meetings I always dress well; not because I want to show off, but so that they realise that I want to look after myself, make the effort and value them. It's amazing the difference that can make.

Good luck with it all

Reactions: Kevin259 and dbr10

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My DN and the NHS advice on diet is outdated and appalling.

My GP only cares about signing my prescription....get on with it / goodbye sort of attitude.

At the end of the day, thank God for the internet, I found Dr Jason Fung, the Low-Carb Program and this forum and I had learnt so much from so many kind people here how to best manage diabetes.

ThomasC 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I make it my business to be involved. They are my appointments, for me, so I owe it to myself, and the tax payer that I get the best out of them.

I always do my prep beforehand and have my agenda. Before I leave the consultation room, I check my notes to ensure I have covered my agenda. My GP now usually asks what's on the agenda when I see her. She's getting the hang of it. :)

Some Doctors are a bit intimidated by patients who want to be at the hub of their care, but I find they respond well if we're polite and explain clearly what we want, and/or need.

I always, always ensure I have any test results before and meeting to discuss them. What I want to know can differ from what the medics want to tell me. For face-to-face meetings I always dress well; not because I want to show off, but so that they realise that I want to look after myself, make the effort and value them. It's amazing the difference that can make.

Good luck with it all

Thanks you, what do you do to initiate this conversation? is there any good way to open such a conversation?

ThomasC 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My DN and the NHS advice on diet is outdated and appalling.

My GP only cares about signing my prescription....get on with it / goodbye sort of attitude.

At the end of the day, thank God for the internet, I found Dr Jason Fung, the Low-Carb Program and this forum and I had learnt so much from so many kind people here how to best manage diabetes.

This is also what I have found.

This community has already been very helpful. :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks you, what do you do to initiate this conversation? is there any good way to open such a conversation?

I think much depends why you are there; whether to discuss a problem or for a review.

If I'm there for a problem/new consultation, say, the HCP will usually open asking something like, "How can I help today?"

In that case, I'd normally just go into the reason I'm there - not feeling great. or leg hurts or whatever, and describe my symptoms/the problem and let them resopnd. If all that seems to go pretty well, I just let the consultation take its course, then as it's winding uo just take a moment to ask myself if all my concerns have been addressed, and if not, I'll ask if we can touch on x,y or z.

If I've gone for a review, or I want something, like a referal for something, I will likely have done much more thinking and planning than for something acute. I'll always have a few bulletpoints written down (with sub-bullets if necessary), and at a review I bring those notes into view, so that the HCP knows I have an agenda, or points I want covered.

Sometimes the HCP will ask if we can share the notes and work through them together, and others just let them be, but they know they're there.

Sometimes those notes will almost be like a decision tree - if this response, what do I want then, and if that response, what do I want. Those notes show the HCP you've been thinking about this appointment and that you think it's serious, rather than being there just because you feel obliged.

In my experience, Medics don't mind this, and if fact, my GP will now sometimes start winding up the discussion by asking how we've done on the list today, or if there's anything else on my list. I sort of find those notes engage the HCP mor ein what I want, rather than wholly focusing on ticking their own boxes.

It's quite dynamic, and develops over time, both for yourself, and for those you consult with, if they're consistent. I've been doing meetings of all sorts like this for years - partly because it makes me think about the meeting, and if I can't think of a reason for the meeting, I'll challenge the need, so I know when I get there there will be an outcome.

There's nothing worse than coming out of a meeting thinking, "well, that's x minutes or hours I'll never get back".

Good luck with it all. My suggested starting point for you would be to write down what you want from the meeting, then prioritise those points, then decide if your wish list is credible. If it isn't credible, then have another look at it.

Just don't forget it's your appointment, and the HCPs are there to faciltate the best outcomes for you. That's their job, even if you might have to help them to understand what that best outcome might be (carb counting/change of insulin, or a pump,.... whatever).

Good luck with it all.

Reactions: ThomasC 2 and dbr10

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My GP always says that he has to spend a fair bit of time preparing for his encounters with me. As he knows we are going to have some amicable but deep and meaningful discussions.

He's great but my previous GP was the opposite and didn't even agree that a HbA1c of 64 put me in the diabetic range.

So prior to my present GP the only person treating me for diabetes was me. And I must admit I was pretty good.

Reactions: dbr10

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
After doing DAFNE and realty getting in to it, it was me who coming in to appointments and telling them what was going on and how I planned to tackle it.....

So there wasn't anything for them to do........they obviously keep on aye on my BP meds and look for cholesterol issues etc...but apart from that its me who brings in the data and stories behind it...

So education is the best road to go down alongside the assistance of fellow diabetics on forums like this......this is where the true learning and trial and error takes place...

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Yes, the advice given is terribly outdated so I take what I need and leave the rest.

The current nurse/practice advisor (her title seems to change all the time) is pretty switched on an we have a pretty equal discussion about my diabetes and how I am managing it. When it comes to the doctor, I refuse to see the senior doctor who handles "chronic" conditions because he is so out of touch and prefer to see one who, although also a little out of date is also very excited about my progress and is willing to listen and discuss.

Now that they agree that my diabetes is well managed, they now seem keen to treat other things they think are wrong with me, such as cholesterol and blood pressure. So far I've beaten them off...

Reactions: dbr10

Julia99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think my drs dread me as I go in with notes and always knows what I want. If I think I need a referral I will ask for it, but I will have done my research first so I can show why it’s appropriate. I know money is none existent in the nhs but if you have a good argument why you need something, then the discussion and outcome tends to be more favourable

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So much depends on the doctor, and you only get a few seconds to weigh them up.

I always have a list of things I want to discuss, but one doctor behaved like a pompous **** when he saw my list (totally unproductive appt that ended up with me making a formal complaint and changing doctors).

Nowadays I keep my list hidden until I have had a minute or two to assess their approachability. I am not into banging my head against brick walls, but if they are going to treat me like a competant adult, then we should get along fine. Appointments can be great - for both sides.

I have an annual appt at Endocrinology (non D related) and I have to say that I heave a sigh of relief every time I walk in and see the same consultant. He is a delight. And he obviously relishes the fact that I am interested, engaged and motivated.

Don't yet know how things will go at my new doc's. It is a large practice with 8 docs, so I am sure there will be at least one of them that I can work with ;) but since I only go to the doc's about once every 2-3 years, half of them will have retired and been replaced before I even get to meet them! :D

I don't get 'diabetic' doc appointments, because my blood glucose is well enough controlled (by me) that the NHS doesn't want to know.

ThomasC 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think much depends why you are there; whether to discuss a problem or for a review.

If I'm there for a problem/new consultation, say, the HCP will usually open asking something like, "How can I help today?"

In that case, I'd normally just go into the reason I'm there - not feeling great. or leg hurts or whatever, and describe my symptoms/the problem and let them resopnd. If all that seems to go pretty well, I just let the consultation take its course, then as it's winding uo just take a moment to ask myself if all my concerns have been addressed, and if not, I'll ask if we can touch on x,y or z.

If I've gone for a review, or I want something, like a referal for something, I will likely have done much more thinking and planning than for something acute. I'll always have a few bulletpoints written down (with sub-bullets if necessary), and at a review I bring those notes into view, so that the HCP knows I have an agenda, or points I want covered.

Sometimes the HCP will ask if we can share the notes and work through them together, and others just let them be, but they know they're there.

Sometimes those notes will almost be like a decision tree - if this response, what do I want then, and if that response, what do I want. Those notes show the HCP you've been thinking about this appointment and that you think it's serious, rather than being there just because you feel obliged.

In my experience, Medics don't mind this, and if fact, my GP will now sometimes start winding up the discussion by asking how we've done on the list today, or if there's anything else on my list. I sort of find those notes engage the HCP mor ein what I want, rather than wholly focusing on ticking their own boxes.

It's quite dynamic, and develops over time, both for yourself, and for those you consult with, if they're consistent. I've been doing meetings of all sorts like this for years - partly because it makes me think about the meeting, and if I can't think of a reason for the meeting, I'll challenge the need, so I know when I get there there will be an outcome.

There's nothing worse than coming out of a meeting thinking, "well, that's x minutes or hours I'll never get back".

Good luck with it all. My suggested starting point for you would be to write down what you want from the meeting, then prioritise those points, then decide if your wish list is credible. If it isn't credible, then have another look at it.

Just don't forget it's your appointment, and the HCPs are there to faciltate the best outcomes for you. That's their job, even if you might have to help them to understand what that best outcome might be (carb counting/change of insulin, or a pump,.... whatever).

Good luck with it all.

Thank you so much! :) To be honest I'd sometime love if I could just review my doctors notes.

But this would be a good starting point to get more of a dialogue with my doctor.

Thanks again, Thomas

ThomasC 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My GP always says that he has to spend a fair bit of time preparing for his encounters with me. As he knows we are going to have some amicable but deep and meaningful discussions.

He's great but my previous GP was the opposite and didn't even agree that a HbA1c of 64 put me in the diabetic range.

So prior to my present GP the only person treating me for diabetes was me. And I must admit I was pretty good.

Sometimes when I meet different doctors I feel like they do not even know my name...

ThomasC 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After doing DAFNE and realty getting in to it, it was me who coming in to appointments and telling them what was going on and how I planned to tackle it.....

So there wasn't anything for them to do........they obviously keep on aye on my BP meds and look for cholesterol issues etc...but apart from that its me who brings in the data and stories behind it...

So education is the best road to go down alongside the assistance of fellow diabetics on forums like this......this is where the true learning and trial and error takes place...

I have heard a lot good about these courses and I acutally want to attend one someday. :) Thanks a lot for the recommedation.