Need advice

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You asked about milk,
It all depends on which milk, full fat, semi skimmed and so on.
Milk contains lactose, a sugar, which turns to glucose rapidly, the less fat in it, so if you have full fat the less sugars, carbs. The slower the spike. Because the natural fat slows digestion.
The less spike you will get, but it is also dependent on how you tolerate dairy of course!
I have no issues with dairy so will go full fat in everything :)

Reactions: Lamont D

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One thing I noticed is that you snack on blueberries - which are the hhighest carb of all the fruits called something berries - first of all I'd not have fruit by itself but as part of a meal, and secondly it is a hefty whack of fructose. I don't need to snack, as I don't feel hungry between meals, but I do find such things as cream cheese and celery are convenient to grab if I need something portable.

Reactions: flexi06

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One thing I noticed is that you snack on blueberries - which are the hhighest carb of all the fruits called something berries - first of all I'd not have fruit by itself but as part of a meal, and secondly it is a hefty whack of fructose. I don't need to snack, as I don't feel hungry between meals, but I do find such things as cream cheese and celery are convenient to grab if I need something portable.
hmm, i was under the impression they are low carb hence i started eating. Will chuck them out.

I still have the habit of eating around 4 pm . i used to eat an apple or banana or orange. I have now converted that to blue berries. will change

Reactions: flexi06

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hmm, i was under the impression they are low carb hence i started eating. Will chuck them out.

I still have the habit of eating around 4 pm . i used to eat an apple or banana or orange. I have now converted that to blue berries. will change

Try strawberries and cream (only 2 or 3, but you can cut them up to make it feel like more) or half a dozen raspberries with cream or full fat yogurt.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use sugar free jelly quite a bit, to bulk up fruit, and then add cream as the fat reduces the impact.
I wonder where the misinformation about blueberries came from - being a US variety seems to make any fruit higher carb, but blueberries in particular are quite significantly higher than the other berries.

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use sugar free jelly quite a bit, to bulk up fruit, and then add cream as the fat reduces the impact.
I wonder where the misinformation about blueberries came from - being a US variety seems to make any fruit higher carb, but blueberries in particular are quite significantly higher than the other berries.
you are right. its my mis interpretation about blueberries. they are indeed highest of all.

ErylV

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks . It's just frustrating to live life like this. Suppose no choice

By following a low carb diet and a bit of daily exercise I have brought my HbA1c down to 42 from 92 and have been taken off a number of pills. It is hard at times but I feel such a lot better and hope to avoid all the complications caused by poor blood sugar control. The upside is that I am discovering walking in the countryside here in Wales and I’m able to do it because of weight loss and improvement in stamina.

Reactions: nsh2111