Low carbs - remission?

lozy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There's a lot about going low carb in the news. What exactly does this mean? Does it mean that the diabetes is actually reversed and you can go back to eating "normally" again or does it simply mean that the diabetes is still there but is controlled only by diet?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The Diabetes never goes away. It can, however, be managed to the point of regaining non Diabetic HbA1c results. LCHF has helped people to do this. It must be said that the Newcastle Diet has also seen some success in this regard. Reversal or remission means you are very well managed and have lowered your risks of complications but I think most people here would agree that a return to a western diet would very quickly see a return of symptoms.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
The latter, sad to say

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed nearly a year ago and have eaten low carb since the day I was diagnosed. I started on less than 100g per day then reduced to 50-70g, now I keep to between 40-60g. I take Metformin too. My last three HbA1cs have been non diabetic. I don’t consider myself reversed or cured. I’m sure that if I ate high carb again my numbers would shoot back up. My GP and I consider I’m very well controlled, I have “in remission” on my avatar as that’s the option here that’s closest to my situation I believe.

Reactions: rom35

lozy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks folks, I'm afraid that's what I feared.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are willing to accept a low carb way of eating as a lifestyle change, it can be possible tp keep your glucose down to pre-diabetic or even "normal" levels long term. But it may depend on other things too like the effect any other health issues and/or medication may have, or whether your pancreas is "clapped out" and needs a helping hand. I 've manage to keep my levels in the pre-diabetic to just about normal range for over four years by eating low carb and have found it both pleasant and easy. I'm no longer taking metformin, and have been able to stop other - non-diabetic - medication as well. Some other people on the forum have eaten this way with very good results for much longer. And for me it's been a complete no-brainer - either restrict carby foods or potentially lose the use of my eyes, hands, and/or feet.

Robbity

Reactions: eggs11 and dbr10

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks folks, I'm afraid that's what I feared.
What’s to “fear” you remain healthy eating great tasty real food...In my view that is eating “normally” .... filling our faces with processed rubbish should not be considered “normal” eating although I did it for many years unfortunately.

Notwithstanding

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being fit & healthy
I have been following Michael Mosely’s NoCarb/800 cal. diet for the past 3 years. I don’t know whether I am in remission or have reversed my diabetes. But, all my readings are well below diabetic levels (HbA1c 35). After the first 8 weeks strictly following the diet - & losing 20 pounds - we relaxed it slightly (sometimes eating more carbs &/or calories). Sometimes we eat sugary sweets. I eat a small amount of 85% cocoa chocolate every day, & sometimes a bar of “ordinary” chocolate. Despite this, my weight has stayed off & my blood/glucose levels never are into the diabetic range. The food is great & plenty of it. It works. I implore all diabetics to try it. What have you got to lose ? I should add that I do 90 mins. of high intensity exercise at the gym 4 times a week & walk at least 20,000 steps ( brisk pace ) every day. So, it’s not only the diet.

lozy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not following any particular diet - I've simply stopped eating bread, potatoes and rice (I used to eat a lot of all of these). So far I've lost a stone without really trying. All my recent blood tests have been lower. I have my HbA1c blood test next week - it will be interesting to see how that is.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The way I am eating now is the same diet I followed for decades to control my weight and reduce it down again after being persuaded that Atkins was practically signing my own death warrant - even though I felt absolutely great on it, looked full of life and energy - so it was back to the printout of recommended carbs and the increasing weight, reducing energy, dull skin limp hair and feeling dismal.
Perhaps I have been diabetic for a long time, but on low carb I am fine, so I was never diagnosed.
It is not me that's wrong, it is the modern diet with the emphasis on healthy carbs and unhealthy meat and fat - just not what I can thrive on. I have no thought or need or urge to go back to the dreadful diets and the increase in weight and being told that I am doing it wrong.