Cereal bars

Angus109

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi.
I'm looking for a snack bar I can keep in the car for when I feel a sugar low coming on. I'm Type 2 and normally relatively well controlled, so I'm looking for a long life bar/snack that will give me a slow release energy (low GI).However, every bar I look at has upwards of 25% sugar. Some even up to 67%sugar! There used to be one from Sainsburys "Carmen", though this is no longer available.

Does anybody know of one that's diabetic friendly?

Thanks.

Angus

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

When you are driving and feel low, do you stop and test? You should be doing. ;)

I can't help with the cereal bars. The very word "cereal" tells me all I need to know - but I am diet controlled not on any meds or insulin, so it may be different for you.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
First Post, welcome to the forum. I hope you find it useful. It would be good if you could give us some background on your status so we could make some informed responses
I could be wrong, and you should check thi,s but as a T2 low is not something you have to worry about.
What is your lowest BG value you've recorded?
Mine is 3.8 and I was fine.
With @Bluetit1802 cereal bars are not a good thing for this T2.
Wish you well.

His profile says he is on insulin.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Looking again, it doesn't say that to me.
I'll delete, thank you BT

Did you look on his profile page? It says on insulin. It doesn't say it under his avatar, but I never can see this under avatars, even when others can. :arghh:

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't help with the cereal bars. The very word "cereal" tells me all I need to know
Hi @Bluetit1802
I spotted glucose tablets on the supermarket shelf the other day are they of any use instead of a can of coke or bar of chocolate to quickly raise bg levels.

They seem like they are designed for just that. :bookworm:
But I have never heard anyone mention them on here?
:bag:

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hi.
I'm looking for a snack bar I can keep in the car for when I feel a sugar low coming on. I'm Type 2 and normally relatively well controlled, so I'm looking for a long life bar/snack that will give me a slow release energy (low GI).However, every bar I look at has upwards of 25% sugar. Some even up to 67%sugar! There used to be one from Sainsburys "Carmen", though this is no longer available.

Does anybody know of one that's diabetic friendly?

Thanks.

Angus
Nine bars, the pumpkin & sunflower seed ones are 9.7g of carbs per bar
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/296653275

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Bluetit1802
I spotted glucose tablets on the supermarket shelf the other day are they of any use instead of a can of coke or bar of chocolate to quickly raise bg levels.

They seem like they are designed for just that. :bookworm:
But I have never heard anyone mention them on here?
:bag:

Really? I believe most T1s use them. They are frequently mentioned on here.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
i think jelly babies give the quickest hit. And you can buy the mini packs that hold just the right amount. But maybe ask over on the insulin page?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you look on his profile page? It says on insulin. It doesn't say it under his avatar, but I never can see this under avatars, even when others can. :arghh:
I looked on the profile page - nothing about treatment on there at all. Unless there is another thing to click on that I did not see - which is not exactly impossible.

Angus109

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you Catinahat. That's very helpful. They look perfect.

The aim is for just the smallest bit of sugar as the low is more of a "low" -er than a normal. Then a slow release until a meal/proper snack as I cant always get to proper food when working. I classify them as "emergency food" and very rarely needed. Hence the requirement for it being a long life product.

lowest recorded is 4.8 mmol so minimal likelihood of a hypo, & yes, anybody would be rather flipping silly to drive if feeling a low coming on.

BR Angus109

Reactions: catinahat

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you looked at Nature Valley Protein Bars? They are available in 3 different flavours and they are all under 10g carbs a bar, I can vouch that they are really nice! haha xx