Sharing lancing device and risk of infection

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi,

My mom is a diabetic and I was just wondering to check my glucose levels to make sure that I am okay. She has an On-Call glucose monitor. I changed the lancet in pen stick to puncture the skin and then used a new strip for readings.

So my question is that I used new lancet and strip so is there any risk of infection whatsoever?

Reactions: Freema

Rifkah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes dried blood from the pen can carry several blood born diseases.

Rifkah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hep B is about 40nm across, your eye sight must be better than mine.

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
As long a it was a brand new lancet used there is no chance of any cross infection.

Strips can not be used twice.

Edit: Clarity.

Thank you for answering. Yes, I used the new lancet in that lancing pen. Can you please tell me that if I can get diabetes this way? I mean by sharing equipment like this.

Edit: The guy who replied before you said that I will get hepatitis B.

anteater2012

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
People who don't listen to others i.e. the 8 members of this forum I have put on ignore as they talk such utter **** all the time. This now includes the member who thinks they are a moderator.
Diabetes is not a communicable disease through blood transfer/ body fluids.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My view would be that provided the lancet was new to you, the there would be little chance of any cross infection. The strips are not as soon as the pot is opened.

Whilst of course that doesn't equate to a zero percent chance, I would suggest there would e as much danger of an infection from the would itself, as picking anything up from the device. Obviously if your mother had bled on the machine, it should be wiped well clean.

If your mothier is a carrier for any of the potentially blood bourne disease, by virtue of that the chances would increase.

If you have acute anxiety about this, you could acquire another lancing device.

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My view would be that provided the lancet was new to you, the there would be little chance of any cross infection. The strips are not as soon as the pot is opened.

Whilst of course that doesn't equate to a zero percent chance, I would suggest there would e as much danger of an infection from the would itself, as picking anything up from the device. Obviously if your mother had bled on the machine, it should be wiped well clean.

If your mothier is a carrier for any of the potentially blood bourne disease, by virtue of that the chances would increase.

If you have acute anxiety about this, you could acquire another lancing device.

My mother is a diabetic and heart patient. She has no STDs or something like that. I changed the lancet and used the finger pricking pen of my mom. I checked the cap and there was no blood on it or anything. I was just worrying that maybe I will get some sort of infection or diabetes because of sharing her equipment.

D

Deleted Account

I was just worrying that maybe I will get some sort of infection or diabetes because of sharing her equipment
Diabetes is not a contagious disease. You cannot catch diabetes by touching someone with diabetes, breathing the same air, sharìng the same towel...or using the same landing device.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

My mom is a diabetic and I was just wondering to check my glucose levels to make sure that I am okay. She has an On-Call glucose monitor. I changed the lancet in pen stick to puncture the skin and then used a new strip for readings.

So my question is that I used new lancet and strip so is there any risk of infection whatsoever?

Hi @andalsonofeden ,

Welcome to the forum.

Only your Doctor can really test you for diabetes. If you are expressing symptoms of the condition? Then visit your GP & do the needful.. :)

Random home blood testing will not determine much regarding an attempted self diagnosis of the condition.

Good luck!

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @andalsonofeden ,

Welcome to the forum.

Only your Doctor can really test you for diabetes. If you are expressing symptoms of the condition? Then visit your GP & do the needful.. :)

Random home blood testing will not determine much regarding an attempted self diagnosis of the condition.

Good luck!

Hi Jaylee,

I don't have diabetes. I tested my glucose levels just to check the number. That's it.

Reactions: Jaylee

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you have your blood sugar checked in hospital, ie on the ward as a patient, the same device will be used for all the patients.

I've not seen anyone take the trouble to clean the device in between patients. The lancet and the strip is new for each patient, though.