Smoking

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Any T1’s on here who still smoke cigarettes ?
Asking for a friend.

lorna_fletcher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive just been diagnosed and still smoking, hoping to stop but with having to have healthy diet & stop at same time I feel it’s too hard

Reactions: mountaintom

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes. Not a clue how to quit, even though I've quit heroin and base-coke in the (fairly distant) past. I've read many people get it done, though, so I hope your friend can overcome this nasty addiction as well. Wishing them all the best!

boboblck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve just been diagnosed with type 1 too in feb and still smoking.. it’s hard work adjusting to all this yeah.. is so giving myself a few months to go off. I wonder if the GP will prescribe anything to help? Trying to smoke less and less each day but sometimes I just think it’s the only pleasure I have left, for now! Lol

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aye, but rarely use king size Rizlas these days :p

Stopping tobacco's on the to do list, but so's dyeing my hair blonde and I don't see that happening very soon :p

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Sharing a smoking story here, though not mine.

As a T1 from aged 8, I watched my T1 (from 22) mother attempt and fail to give up smoking throughout my childhood and young to medium adult hood. While it was good in the sense that it made me never want to smoke even a single cigarette, it was bad in the sense that
1) passive smoking for me during gestation(she cut down but still smoked a bit) and childhood
2) (most important) it killed my mother.

No, she didn't get lung cancer, but by 70, when she finally managed to give up smoking a year before she needed a heart bypass (lucky because they wouldn't have done it if she was still smoking), her lungs were so messed up that they couldn't do the quadruple bypass that they wanted and had to do a double instead. It gave her another 8 years, but her final 6 months were on an oxygen machine and I'm pretty sure she'd be alive today if she'd given up sooner.

Smoking is bad for everyone, but it's so much much worse for diabetics. Not trying to persecute anyone here, I know it's hard being a T1, but please please do your bodies a favour. Stop smoking asap.

I love/loved my mother. I wish she were still alive, as does my father.

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes. Not a clue how to quit, even though I've quit heroin and base-coke in the (fairly distant) past. I've read many people get it done, though, so I hope your friend can overcome this nasty addiction as well. Wishing them all the best!

Fair play to you for beating heroin. That’s tough going.
Well (the friend is me btw) I’m a recovering alcoholic so I’m taking it one step at a time. I quit drinking in December and was diagnosed T1 the following January. I quit smoking for about a month but got so restless without something to do. Some sort of “high” not that it gets me high but...So I’m back on about 3/4 rollies a day.
I just wanted to know I’m not the only crazy person smoking with diabetes! Thanks everyone.

Reactions: boboblck

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sharing a smoking story here, though not mine.

As a T1 from aged 8, I watched my T1 (from 22) mother attempt and fail to give up smoking throughout my childhood and young to medium adult hood. While it was good in the sense that it made me never want to smoke even a single cigarette, it was bad in the sense that
1) passive smoking for me during gestation(she cut down but still smoked a bit) and childhood
2) (most important) it killed my mother.

No, she didn't get lung cancer, but by 70, when she finally managed to give up smoking a year before she needed a heart bypass (lucky because they wouldn't have done it if she was still smoking), her lungs were so messed up that they couldn't do the quadruple bypass that they wanted and had to do a double instead. It gave her another 8 years, but her final 6 months were on an oxygen machine and I'm pretty sure she'd be alive today if she'd given up sooner.

Smoking is bad for everyone, but it's so much much worse for diabetics. Not trying to persecute anyone here, I know it's hard being a T1, but please please do your bodies a favour. Stop smoking asap.

I love/loved my mother. I wish she were still alive, as does my father.

That’s very sad and you’re right - we all need to quit ASAP.
My mother, similar thing. She had a quad bypass at 57, quit smoking for it and then carried on smoking soon after. She lived to 65. She died the day before my daughter’s 1st birthday so who knows she might have been around longer if she’d managed to truly quit.
People do say though, once a smoker always a smoker. Even if you quit. I know someone who stopped for 25 years and is back on them now. Powerful drug!

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m on Vape, have been for about a year and a half now.
Did go back to cigarettes when diagnosed, only a few a day, but got tingling in my hands, I don’t know if this was connected, but it scared me, so I stopped.
But still on the Vape. I am at present attending a no smoking clinic at my doctors, they give you free patches etc, but finding it still difficult. **** nicotine lol
Apparently Vape doesn’t have the 4,000 chemicals in it that cigarettes do, according to the stop smoking nurse. So maybe it could be a stop gap for you?

D

Deleted member 308541

**** nicotine lol
That's the additive addictive bit that you need to stop craving, vapes and patches have nicotine in them so it's defeating the purpose.

The ciggies I used to smoke sell for $25.00 a packet of 20 here in Aus, all the more reason to stop.

The packets look like $#@% as well.

0006b6a8-800.jpg

Edit: Had the wrong word in place.

Last edited by a moderator:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Wow! Well done of the herion and coke in your past. Huge respect for that.

I have never smoked, but I once worked with a lady whose son went into a very expensive rehab, for heroin. At the time, she promised she would give up smoking (she smoked rather a lot, in my view) as he gave up heroin.

She had allegedly been told that giving up nicotine is almost as difficult as heroin.

She moved to a new job shortly after that, so I don't know how well they did. :(

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Any T1’s on here who still smoke cigarettes ?
Asking for a friend.
I started smoking as a diabetic, was diagnosed as a small child, social smoking in my teens. I often get asked why I haven't yet quit and it's mainly because I find it so much easier to drink less and drink slower when smoking, meaning my blood sugars during nights out and nights after are far better. However, not a great excuse so am looking to quit by the end of the year. We'll see how it goes!

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am quite happy on the vape now, although I have been known to have a few cheeky ones when away fishing......

the reality is for me, its no use for my current diabetic eye changes, as well as blood pressure, so its a no brainer ....

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nope never smoked, hate the stuff. But then again I do like good whiskey!!!!

Reactions: becca59

crazycatlady

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Guilty. I've quit and restarted time and again. There's always been something in my life over the past few years that's cracked off and I've reached for the cigs in response.