New and needing help please

elljay

Hello,
I have been on diet only treatment for type 2 for about 2 years but now my GP has offered medication.
My first reaction was no, I would have to then tell my car insurance company etc but now I wonder if I should have said yes.

I have recently had 2 mini strokes and besides diabetes have fibrmyalgia, RA PA and hypothyroidism.
My BS control is ok but she said the medication might help me not gain anymore weight, I am overweight by about 4 stones.

Any opinions on this would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Elljay

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My car insurance company just said thanks for letting us know but it makes no difference to your policy, so I wouldn't worry about that.
Can't help with advice about the medical side of things though sorry.
Good luck.
Angie

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Actually......if you are a Diabetic of any sort you should have notified the Insurer when you were first diagnosed, not just when you are put onto medication.

You are supposed to disclose all material facts as a condition of the contract with them. It's a Civil matter for them. They shouldn't discriminate against you as that would be illegal, however they may try to increase your premium at renewal time. All you need to do then is shop around.

Most insurers will just say thanks for the notification as my own did and do nothing at all. Some even say we don't need to know, up to them, but it is far better to notify them and avoid any complications if you ever have to make a claim. If an Insurer can find a way of not paying out........

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the Forum Elljay,

I notice you have been a member for a while so you have probably read the basic advice that Ken and I give to new Diabetics.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088&start=0

It may possibly be that some of your non Diabetic medications are causing you to put on weight as well. You would need to discuss this with your Doctor.

Geoff

Hello elljay ,
Never mind debating if you need to inform your car insurance firm, if as you statel; that you have had two mini strokes recently, I believe that you should inform the DVLA at Swansea, as having more than one mini stroke falls under their need to be notified as stated in form “dg067958”

look at this link on their site: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr ... ndexChar=S

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Even with the insulin, all my insurers said was thanks for letting us know, so there is nothing to worry about.

Also, what Geoff said.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Elljay!

I really do sympathise as I've been through similar with wanting to pick my treatment based on avoiding the prejudice I would face rather than on what's right for my condition. Please think logically though - your insurance and even your driving license is no good to you if you damage your health irretrievably by refusing to accept the most appropriate treatment.

I am now on insulin, but my insurers were brilliant - no prejudice at all. The DVLA do insist on making me apply for my license every three years even though there is nothing wrong with me, but i think you just have to accept some organisations have outdated procedures. Rise above it and discuss your medication needs with your health care professionals - you need to make your decisions based on your health needs, not your insurance or DVLA worries.

Good luck

Smidge