How Much Did Your Basal Increase At The End Of Your Honeymoon Period?

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I am having a (rather abrupt) end to my 3 and a half year honeymoon period.

I have increased my Tresiba dose 40% (10 units to 14 units) but still struggling with higher than usual numbers.

Just curious where other people ended up when their honeymoon phase ended? I know everyone is different and it won't necessarily have any relevance to me; just curious!

Reactions: mountaintom

billybadger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I am having a (rather abrupt) end to my 3 and a half year honeymoon period.

I have increased my Tresiba dose 40% (10 units to 14 units) but still struggling with higher than usual numbers.

Just curious where other people ended up when their honeymoon phase ended? I know everyone is different and it won't necessarily have any relevance to me; just curious!
I was on 10 units of Levemir once a day (10pm) when I was first diagnosed and that lasted about 18 months to two years. I am now on 31 units at 10pm and another 3 units in the morning

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was on 10 units of Levemir once a day (10pm) when I was first diagnosed and that lasted about 18 months to two years. I am now on 31 units at 10pm and another 3 units in the morning
Thanks! Did you find it was a gradual increase or rather sudden?

billybadger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks! Did you find it was a gradual increase or rather sudden?
The morning dose came about as a suggestion during my DAFNE course, the evening dose did go up gradually, but now seems to have stopped still for the last 10 months

D

Deleted Account

For me, the increase was gradual and I did not experience a jump.

Are you sure the reason for the increase is the end of your honeymoon?
Have you changed your insulin to a new batch?
Are you ill?
Is your pen working correctly?
Some people find their insulin requirements change as the weather changes. Has the hot weather made an impact?
Are you stressed?
Might be worthwhile discounting a few of the other reasons why your BG may have risen.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
It was gradual for me too, about a year after diagnosis, my doses changed quite slowly which was a pain as there was a period of banging my head against a proverbial brick wall for a good few months trying to adjust.

@helensaramay has a good point as there could be other factors at play as this seems like quite a big increase, so maybe run through these factors first.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Honeymoon? wasn't invented when I was diagnosed..........even without a honeymoon I'm still trying to figure out how to sort out a divorce though................:D

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
46 years ago the honeymoon was after a marriage. :) :D

I was lucky to get sharp needles once a month. Wow how times have changed.....for the better I may add :) :)

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They didn't have a honeymoon period in my early days, I just had less hypos when it finished :p and I used to say to mates that it was as though my body was making insulin, but who'd have thought it eh....

I was lucky to get sharp needles once a month. Wow how times have changed.....for the better I may add :) :)

I got a needle a week in the beginning :) and the insulin smelled of pork scratchings.

Reactions: SueJB and porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
They didn't have a honeymoon period in my early days, I just had less hypos when it finished and I used to say to mates that it was as though my body was making insulin, but who'd have thought it eh....

I got a needle a week in the beginning :) and the insulin smelled of pork scratchings.
It was a box of 6 needles/darning needles

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me, the increase was gradual and I did not experience a jump.

Are you sure the reason for the increase is the end of your honeymoon?
Have you changed your insulin to a new batch?
Are you ill?
Is your pen working correctly?
Some people find their insulin requirements change as the weather changes. Has the hot weather made an impact?
Are you stressed?
Might be worthwhile discounting a few of the other reasons why your BG may have risen.

Thanks. No, I am not 100% sure it's the end of my honeymoon but I can't think what else it can be?
i) it's been going on for 3-4 weeks now and yes I've tried new vials of both Tresiba and NovoRapid
ii) don't think I am ill
iii) pens seem to be fine
iv) yes I always seem to be less insulin sensitive when it is hot (which I think is opposite from most people, who become more insulin sensitive?) but that can't explain it as it hasn't been that hot and I work inside all day
v) yes I am stressed and have anxiety but always have done and I am not more stressed than usual, although I was a couple of weeks ago so maybe that triggered it

Also, for what it's worth, I'm a healthy weight and BMI and exercise 3-5 x per week (often running 10km+) and my exercise regime has not changed.

I'm feeling so depressed today; now even the 14 units of Tresiba a day isn't cutting it and last night I had a pizza (to be fair it was a large one and I was super hungry) but I ended up needing 19 units of NovoRapid (split over 4-5 doses including in the middle of the night) and I still cruised higher than I would have liked at 9-10mmol over night. This exact same meal would historically have required no more than 10 units. Similarly, today I had a salad from the same place I always get one and it has always required 2.5 units and I stay nice and steady. I knew I'd been struggling so upped it to 3.5 units today but even now I am cruising at 9mmol when usually I'd be getting my late afternoon low by now of c.4 mmol and having a drink to boost my levels up a little bit.

I'll try upping my Tresiba YET AGAIN and see if that helps. I'm debating trying going back to Lantus (never had any issues with it but DSN recommended changing to Tresiba anyway) although that's probably just me being impatient and trying to find a way out of this situation. :(

Last edited:

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@pinewood I have just recently increased my evening Levemir dose from 8 to 12. I think it's the hot weather and also my own insulin production that gradually deteriorates.

Reactions: pinewood

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had to increase mine for a couple of weeks, quite possibly due to the warmer weather. It has been particularly warm in bed at night. Like you I don’t go low when it’s warmer always high. Go figure! The weather has cooled and I have now woken up two mornings on the trot hypoing. Reduction of basal again today. It’s only 1 units difference for me but your ratios are personal to you. You may need to up it more than you think, but be ready for that crash!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Good question @pinewood I'm still on "honeymoon" so I can't help but I'd love my pancreas to go on for as long or longer than yours

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had to increase mine for a couple of weeks, quite possibly due to the warmer weather. It has been particularly warm in bed at night. Like you I don’t go low when it’s warmer always high. Go figure! The weather has cooled and I have now woken up two mornings on the trot hypoing. Reduction of basal again today. It’s only 1 units difference for me but your ratios are personal to you. You may need to up it more than you think, but be ready for that crash!
That is a warning for which I should have taken heed!!!!

Crashing lows all through last night and this morning after upping my Tresiba dose to 16 units. :(

I'm used to "rage bolusing" but this is my first "rage basal"!