Wonder Food

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for these further comments - much appreciated. I was only diagnosed with T2 in April this year so haven't been managing both sets of dietary restrictions for long at all! Thankfully my BG is so far controlled on keto and will hopefully stay that way :) Thanks again

~heath
My goodness, you are getting on like a house on fire! Looking at your signature: "I also have hypertension, AF and Early Onset Geriatric Profanity Disorder..." I find I too suffer from 2 out of 3 of these health problems. (Hint: my bp is if anything too low)!

achike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Many factors are usually involved in stabilising blood glucose. I am surprised that grapefruit juice became a wonder-drug for you. Congratulations!

Sent from my STH100-2 using Diabetes Forum mobile app

tayelola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Read through all the contributions so far by members. I am T2 diagnosed 2012 on metformin 500mg twice daily. Is it beneficial for me to take grapefruit as I grow it in my garden ? Fruits on but not mature yet for consumption.

Runica

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For thos of us without medication, grapefruit could well be worth a try. Thanks for the information @pilling10 , I'll be picking a wee crop at Tescos tomorrow and will give it a trial run. May as well, nothing else seems to be working :)

swarnag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
About a 2years back I had well controlled blood sugar with Metformin 1000mg twice daily and victozia 1.2 in the night. recently my HbaC1 Goes high .Most recent being 92. I am finding it difficult to be as strict with carbs as I was earlier. Diabetic nurse is wanting to put me on insulin. So far I managed to not to let her put me on insulin.

pret2

I'm glad that it helped you...others should be careful as grapefruit interfer
es with some meds...blood pressure meds in particular

achike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Read through all the contributions so far by members. I am T2 diagnosed 2012 on metformin 500mg twice daily. Is it beneficial for me to take grapefruit as I grow it in my garden ? Fruits on but not mature yet for consumption.
@tayeola - Fresh grapefruit should be better than processed ones. Once your planted fruits are ripe for consumption enjoy them as long as you are not anticoagulants and other drugs grapefruit interferes with their intestinal absorption.

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Being on warfarin, I miss grapefruits. Cold from the fridge, halved, and dug into with my trusty grapefruit spoons. They now sit lonely in my cutelry draw. On the plus side, any vampire that bites me would get a dose or rat poison. Unfortunately to give the bat (or vampire) a high enough dose to be lethal, it would also kill the person being bitten.

So I guess I'll stick with garlic.

pilling10

I was never given a meter as they said my results were so consistent and the nurse considered it a waste of time as could vary depending when I took the test.
I did have a parched feeling and also impaired vision before I became ill.
now a few weeks on I am feeling great and still getting results from 5.2 to 8

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
never had it in a can. However, plenty of real ones around in the markets.

Canned is pretty common in the UK, but often canned in syrup. I've noticed more canned fruit seems to be available without added sugar. Not sure if that's because producers are doing it, or I'm just looking harder for unsweetened things. Or just having adopted the diabetic lifestyle of looking at the labels more closely.

I recall one oddity that on the Australian glycemic index, the red grapefruits had lower spikes than the white ones.

I guess that could be down to breeding grapefruit varieties for sweetness? I noticed when I was in the US, some grapefruit there seemed a lot sweeter than in the UK.