Suspected Diabetes, Advice?

My son is 3 in October. Yesterday morning I took him to the doctors because he was unwell and I thought he had another water infection. He didn’t but dip test showed sugar and ketones in urine. His they used a BM and it was 14.9 which I was told is very high so we were sent to hospital for further tests. Over time it went to 13.4, then right back down to normal. We stayed over night and let home today with the equipment for me to check his blood sugars three times a day as they still aren’t sure if we have caught it early or he just hasn’t got it. His blood sugar has been fine since the high yesterday. What do you think? We are having a glucose test next week and they will go over the blood sugar results I get until then. I don’t want to worry too much, but I am worrying as they must have some concern. Please share your stories and opinions. Do you think he could have it or it was just high for no reason?

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Firstly, hi and welcome @autumnsavannah - take a breath and relax: everything is okay.

Sugar and ketones could be present for any number of reasons (though they sure are odd assuming your son is eating a typical diet for a child his age - fruit, potatoes, pasta, veggies - but, still, you said he was unwell and something a simple as a UTI could cause those results.

High blood sugar is also normal when someone is unwell, dehydrated or otherwise experiencing discomfort, and that result also could have been affected by how long it had been since breakfast, how frightened he might have been to be in hospital, whether you gave him a drink while you were waiting... all kinds of things. It dropped, and that's great news.

It sounds like you have an attentive and proactive team who have equipped you with the main thing you need for the time being, but, perhaps, not quite explained its purpose to you.

Firstly, that meter isn't perfectly accurate - it gives a very general idea to an accuracy of +/- 15%. Also, unless you pair the readings with what your son eats, the data isn't going to be much use beyond demonstrating that he spikes after meals and then drops again after some time has passed - and we all do that.

When I'd recommend is keeping a rough log of what he eats and drinks alongside the meter readings. That way you and your team can see how he's responding to particular types of food. But, also, take a reading just before he starts eating and then note how long it's been since he last ate when you test again.

You've got a date for a more formal blood test: if they were very concerned, they'd have done that in hospital. At the moment, they just want him well (because infections and whatnot will mess with his BG levels).

It's hard to say to a parent "Don't worry too much", because good parents worry constantly. But, honestly, your medical team seem to be moving with deliberation and caution, which isn't how things go when there's an emergency. Get him well again, do his bloods and try not to stress in the meantime as he'll pick up on your anxiety.

Honestly, if he does end up with a diagnosis of diabetes, it's far from the end of the world. You'll be amazed how well you'll learn to cope with this and there's oodles of support from other families in a similar position available on these boards:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/parents.16/

Hang in there: I know it's rough and a real shock, but, believe me, you'll feel much better when he's at least up and about making mischief again. Everything after that, you'll learn to manage. Promise.

Keep in touch and much love to you,

Sock xx

Thank you for your reply. He did have a lot of blood taken at the hospital yesterday which things seemed okay but still waiting on one more result the doctor said earlier. Also the urine dip ruled out UTI yesterday so luckily hasn’t got one as last one he struggled with. It’s hard to process it all. He seemed okay at the doctors when it was high as he was quite chatty with the doctor and seemed perfectly comfortable with her. He was eating an apple while we were there, could that alter results? I keep trying not to think too much into it BUT it is also very hard not too. I’m sick of waiting for the knowledge and questioning if he has or hasn’t. Can I ask, if he is early on with diabetes, is it even possible for him to go a day with normal blood sugar levels? I know nothing about diabetes at all. Again thank you for replying xxx

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apple will DEFINITELY alter the results.

You can test yourself (use a different lancet in the finger pricker) to see the impact foods have on your BG. Do one when you've not eaten for a bit and then eat just half an apple and half a banana. You'll be amazed.

As for whether he can go a day... that depends on so many, many factors including what he's eating, how he's feeling, whether he slept well... but, also what type of diabetes he gets diagnosed with.

A great place to start learning the basics (I feel you're like me: you won't rest until you've got the questions answered to some degree) is this site's home page:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk

You can read about the various types and testing and what it all means there. Take your time, don't freak yourself out and absolutely DO NOT ask any question that starts with "What if..?"

Keep posting in the meantime, particularly on the parents forum (or, you know, wherever you like!), ask whatever you need. Just don't panic.

Sock xx

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
He was eating an apple while we were there, could that alter results?

Just a thought, did your son have his hands washed before these finger prick tests were performed? If he’d been eating an apple he would have had sticky apple juice residue on his hands which would raise the results artificially.

D

Deleted Account

Can I ask, if he is early on with diabetes, is it even possible for him to go a day with normal blood sugar levels?
Given his age, if your son has diabetes (and that is an "IF"), it is most likely that he has type 1.
This is where the body decides the cells that produce insulin are bad and kills them off.
It does not kill them all from day one; it kills them gradually. This means as they are dying off some are working fine and producing insulin. As a result, if (and as I say, that is an "IF") he has diabetes, it is possible to have ok BG one day/week/month at the start.

Whilst it must be incredibly frustrating not knowing, it is better to wait and get the correct diagnosis. And only the doctor with her blood tests can make this.

If (that word again) he has diabetes, as @SockFiddler mentions, it is not the end of the world.
When it is getting the better of me, I look to people in the public eye with type 1 diabetes and, like them, become determined not to let diabetes stop me. I am talking about people like Henry Slade, the Exeter Chiefs rugby player, Este Haim the musician, Halle Berry the actor ... and Theresa May.

To learn the basics, I recommend taking a look at Diabetes UK. They have some great little videos like these: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/diabetes-the-basics

Thank you everyone. Yes he had his finger cleaned before they did it every time. When he had the bloods done at the hospital, I think it had gone down to 9 something. And I assume they are pretty accurate aren’t they. Luckily, other than yesterday morning and the night before, he is okay. He is very grumpy and has awful mood swings but I am very much used to that. I just tested his blood sugars on my own for the first time and I cried. He said ‘naughty mummy’ I don’t won’t to be the bad guy, because then who will he go to for comfort? He pushed me away when I cuddled him. I really have my fingers crossed but if the worst happens we will be okay and we will manage Xxx

He just randomly got quite a bad nose bleed, never had one before (unless sticking his finger in his nose). I know they aren’t usually anything bad, is it just coincidental that’s its right after having his blood sugar all over the place?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. From what you say there is a good possibility your son will be diagnosed as a T1. There could be other reasons but this is remains a possibility. If so, he will need to start insulin. Although BS does go high after food such as the apple, it should return to the start point after around 2 hours and a BS of 14.9 does seem high even for peak in someone who wasn't diabetic. If your son is diagnosed with diabetes do come back here for advice.

Thank you @Daibell i think it wasn’t for about 5 hours that it went back to normal. I will definitely be posting again when I have been to the doctors next week. Before his tea it was 6.4 and this morning when he woke 4.9, so seems okay at the moment