Eye Test At The Opticians

Actaeon70

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Noise, drunk people
I received a text from my optician asking me to go for a test, which puzzled me because I thought it wasn't due for another three months. The optician was equally puzzled and said they hadn't sent a text. They said that as a type 2 I was entitled to one free eye test each year, but that if I wanted more than that (or if they couldn't find any change on the test I'd been mistakenly called in for) I'd have to pay. As it turned out, I didn't have to pay because they found I had cataracts on both eyes.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Specsavers are the official eyesight testing body that the DVLA use for their roadworthiness checks. Not all their shops have the right gear for the DVLA, but mine does.

Actaeon70

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Noise, drunk people
Specsavers are the official eyesight testing body that the DVLA use for their roadworthiness checks. Not all their shops have the right gear for the DVLA, but mine does.

I use Vision Express. I went to Specsavers once and will never go there again. I had what seemed to be a very basic eye test (have nystagmus as well as myopia, plus T2 and glaucoma in the family) and when I bought a pair of glasses and said the frame was too loose, the person's response was to literally squeeze the frame against the side of my head until it fitted.

As I can't drive, DVLA requirements aren't relevant to me.

Goro_uk

Just wondering I had my eyes tested in November before I was diagnosed type 2 and was giving glasses to wear to read and drive. In February I was diagnosed type 2 and my eyes have changed for the better must have been diabetic when I got them tested in November
The thing I was wondering is now that I’m diagnosed type 2 do I qualify for another free eye test because the glasses I got in November are absolutely useless

Have you seen the boots free eye test offer this month

£20 off glasses if you need some as well

I would post the link, but it comes up as spam. PM me and I will send it over if you can’t find it on there website

Q4444

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to get a yearly test but since I have had cataract surgery I have been told that I have to wait two years.As it was nearly a year later that my diabetic test was due and the lenses that had been replaced had fused together. Had laser treatment to correct this but was told my optician should have noticed this at my eye test

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My independent optician is great he recommended that I see my GP about a lump on my nose which proved to be a carcinoma He also reported high pressure on one eye and sent me to eye clinic He never prescribe s new specs unless needed ! The best care I have had and I have had specs since I was 18 months old
Carol

Reactions: Prem51

Del 69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You should get an eye test on the NHS with any optician with Diabetes. It may be restricted to one a year, depends on the optician's decision as to whether you need a re-check earlier than 12 months.

I have worn glasses over 50 years, been diabetic for 40. My worst ever eyetest was with Specsavers, around 25 years ago, took 10 mins, I refuse to use them ever again. All previous optician appointments took at least 40 minutes just for the tests.