Fruits

ivan 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am not obsessed with strict low carb,so I eat fruits (included in my diet plan).

A handful of berries, an average apple, pear,orange,cup of cherries, three plums.

No bananas,no watermelon, no grapes.

Besides, as a newly diagnosed I was given ``diabetic`` stevia chocolate, but the doctor sad not to eat it.

``Have fruits instead`` she said.

I understand some people avoid fruit in very low carb diets.

What`s your experience and portions ?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As you are on an isulin regime I'm guessing you test your blood sugars regularly so what do those fruits do to your bloods?

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
I am not obsessed with strict low carb,so I eat fruits (included in my diet plan).

A handful of berries, an average apple, pear,orange,cup of cherries, three plums.

Besides, as a newly diagnosed I was given ``diabetic`` stevia chocolate, but the doctor sad not to eat it.

Hi Ivan! I used to have an apple and a banana every day until diagnosed with Type 2 in 2016.
I have discovered that I can eat the occasional apple or small banana with just a slight rise in bg levels .. but I choose not to (a) because I don't miss them now and (b) because I really enjoy my 'now' fruits of Raspberries, Blueberries and Strawberries which don't have any affect on my glucose levels at all ... and I LOVE cream!!! :)

Last edited:

ivan 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
As you are on an isulin regime I'm guessing you test your blood sugars regularly so what do those fruits do to your bloods?
Really well controlled BG (between 4 - 6).Last HbA1c was 23 mmol/mol.
Will have to test BG after fruit.
When ? After 2 hours or earlier ?
Thank you.

Reactions: Alison54321

jadeashton24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you.

sorry to jump on your thread, but your hba1c was 23mmol/mol!
I did not know you could even have a hba1c so low!

Reactions: Sani Thomas

ivan 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
sorry to jump on your thread, but your hba1c was 23mmol/mol!
I did not know you could even have a hba1c so low!

Well controlled after losing 40 lb and exercise.
Today BG 4.8 less than an hour after 3 plums.But I do not eat ripe fruits.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have T1D so I can bolus for fruit, and I do.

I can understand why someone who is just controlled by diet might want to avoid it, but if it isn't causing blood sugar spikes there are very good reasons for eating it.

People with diabetes often have quite low vitamin C levels, because the poor old vitamin C gets used up fighting the oxidative stress caused by high blood sugars.

So this is where it gets complicated, but fruit is full of anti-oxidants, and because, mostly, we don't cook them, we don't lose the vitamin C that way, fruit is a good food choice.

So it all depends on how much of a problem fruit is in terms of causing blood sugar spikes. Which is very much a cost benefit analysis that only an individual can make.

Reactions: Sani Thomas

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you.
But you are still using insulin?
As a test I'd do it before then every 30 minutes just to see what happens.. but I'm a data nerd so kind of like doing that sort of thing. Although I wouldn't have the fruit in the first place. Could be something to do with the ripeness I guess... crunchy plums?

S

Sani Thomas

Ivan2, you wound as if you don't take Insulin. In that case, look for fruit that has low GI (glycemic index) that means fruits with GI less than 55. Although they may have some carbs, they are released slowly, so you don't experience spikes.
If you use insulin, I'd say within reason you can eat anything provided you balance the carbs with insulin. Again, best to look for low GI fruit. If you search on Google, you'll find lots of information about it.