Pregnant!

xkerrybabessx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey i have just found out am pregnant i am about 4-5weeks. A bit of mixed feelings going on as it wasnt planned so was abit of a shock seeing that test being positive! I have an appointment for diabetic clinic next week was wonder what to expect? And if they will scan me at that appointment does anyone know? I have appointment for midwives on the 28th of aug but i dont think i can wait that long to be scaned lol, Been getting a lot of pain in stomach like dulling pain plus sharp pain going across stomach is this normal? Just look for some advice thanks.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @xkerrybabessx Congratulations on your news:)

Your mid wife will do a scan in august however it’s too early at 4-5 weeks, you can have a private scan done though.

Your DSN will be keen to check control and ensure your managing on your regime to keep your levels in check and of course offer support to get you through the pregnancy to ensure a successful outcome.

Stay chilled though as a happy mum equals a happy baby :)

xkerrybabessx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @xkerrybabessx Congratulations on your news:)

Your mid wife will do a scan in august however it’s too early at 4-5 weeks, you can have a private scan done though.

Your DSN will be keen to check control and ensure your managing on your regime to keep your levels in check and of course offer support to get you through the pregnancy to ensure a successful outcome.

Stay chilled though as a happy mum equals a happy baby :)
Thanks for advice! Ano am jst a bit shocked as it was so un expected and i didnt think i could have kids as i had chemo when i was younger!

Yeah was at a&e last night cos of pains in stomach and they called this morning to say was to early for scan but if pain get worse over weekend to go straight to a&e but if not then they will check my bloods again on monday! Jst think am scared in case i loss it, as its my first time being pregnant!

Blood sugar have been fine until today i have lots of highs even with correcting i am on insulin pump jst hope i can get it back down to normal level!
Thanks again for replying

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @xkerrybabessx Hopefully the pain has nothing to do with your pregnancy- it’s easy to worry about everything when you first get pregnant that’s completely natural, the good thing is your team will keep you on the radar and help you through this :)

xkerrybabessx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @xkerrybabessx Hopefully the pain has nothing to do with your pregnancy- it’s easy to worry about everything when you first get pregnant that’s completely natural, the good thing is your team will keep you on the radar and help you through this :)
I know i am going to see them on Wednesday but that just feels like a long way away haaa i am a dead in patient person at times and worry to much but trying to stay calm.

FingersCrossed

Hi there,

Just wanted to say congratulations and I hope your pains subside soon. I'm also type 1, on an insulin pump and in the early stages of pregnancy too (9 weeks today). I had insane highs for 2 weeks around 4/5 weeks pregnant that I couldn't explain so I had to keep on increasing my basal - I went from 50 ish units over 24 hours to 98, and upped my bolus to 1 unit for 4gs of carbs as I was super insulin resistant. This calmed down a tad and I'm now on 69 units of basal over 24 hours after then having lots of hypos. It's a total rollercoaster. With my son (he's 4 years old now) I didn't have highs early on, just lows, but I've done lots of reading and a lot of type 1 diabetics have experienced early highs too. So you're not alone with your highs.

With my son, I had an internal scan at five weeks and five days and they found a heart beat. With this pregnancy, I had a scan 6 days ago and they found one too. Just hoping all continues to progress well as I misscarried three months ago and am so hoping I keep this one.

It's awful the waiting and worrying. I hope you get good news at your appointment or a scan booked in for reassurance.

xkerrybabessx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,

Just wanted to say congratulations and I hope your pains subside soon. I'm also type 1, on an insulin pump and in the early stages of pregnancy too (9 weeks today). I had insane highs for 2 weeks around 4/5 weeks pregnant that I couldn't explain so I had to keep on increasing my basal - I went from 50 ish units over 24 hours to 98, and upped my bolus to 1 unit for 4gs of carbs as I was super insulin resistant. This calmed down a tad and I'm now on 69 units of basal over 24 hours after then having lots of hypos. It's a total rollercoaster. With my son (he's 4 years old now) I didn't have highs early on, just lows, but I've done lots of reading and a lot of type 1 diabetics have experienced early highs too. So you're not alone with your highs.

With my son, I had an internal scan at five weeks and five days and they found a heart beat. With this pregnancy, I had a scan 6 days ago and they found one too. Just hoping all continues to progress well as I misscarried three months ago and am so hoping I keep this one.

It's awful the waiting and worrying. I hope you get good news at your appointment or a scan booked in for reassurance.
Thanks, ended up at a&e Thursday night they said i would get a call in the morning to get an early scan but when i got the phone call they told me the couldnt do i scan cos i was only 5weeks and i have to get my bloods checked tomorrow to check levels! I have an appointment with diabetic antenatal clinic not sure if they will scan me there jst really scary as it my first pregnancy and jst cant believe am pregnant! Thanks for the advice

FingersCrossed

Bless you. I think I must have a really good diabetic midwife as she (all three times) has arranged for early scans. But then a few weeks ago when I was really struggling with highs and worring things might have been going wrong, my docs wouldn't do bloods or urine tests and neither would a replacement diabetic nurse (covering holiday leave) at my local hospital. So it must just depend on who you have looking after you or where you are in the country.

Could you potentially ring up the antenatal department tomorrow, saying you're just new to all this and would like to know what to expect (and if you need a full bladder in case they're going to scan you) just to get a feel for what they'll do on the day? In my experience, including last Monday when I was 8 weeks and 1 day pregnant, all the tummy scans with a full bladder haven't been that effective, so they ask you to empty bladder and do internal scans. Hopefully you could get someone who will tell you what to expect.

xkerrybabessx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bless you. I think I must have a really good diabetic midwife as she (all three times) has arranged for early scans. But then a few weeks ago when I was really struggling with highs and worring things might have been going wrong, my docs wouldn't do bloods or urine tests and neither would a replacement diabetic nurse (covering holiday leave) at my local hospital. So it must just depend on who you have looking after you or where you are in the country.

Could you potentially ring up the antenatal department tomorrow, saying you're just new to all this and would like to know what to expect (and if you need a full bladder in case they're going to scan you) just to get a feel for what they'll do on the day? In my experience, including last Monday when I was 8 weeks and 1 day pregnant, all the tummy scans with a full bladder haven't been that effective, so they ask you to empty bladder and do internal scans. Hopefully you could get someone who will tell you what to expect.
Yeah will do i have to get my bloods done at early pregnancy unit tomorrow and also have to see diabetic pump doctor so will find out more tomorrow as i will be 6week tomorrow.

Reactions: Yvonnie