Hot Weather Issues!

MissMJ73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm having the same problem with this heat wave. Taking bad hypos especially in the evening. Keeping the curtains closed as someone previously said definitely helps keep the house a bit cooler and try reducing your basal a bit. X

Think I’m going to try reducing the basal tonight and also my ratio with the evening meal and see what happens today.

Reactions: sjm1308

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I've been in Wagga when it's blazingly hot too. Well into the mid 40s that day and strong north westerly blowing.
Down your way in Adelaide it gets hot but unfortunately the summer is also the dry spell.
Yeah, plus -8 degrees C in Wagga one winter. Adelaide, just windy and wet = chill factor but only one frost in 5 years.

Marksman4519

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
eggs in any form but especially boiled, paying bills!!!
This is my first reply but having read your blog I have the same problems and have always had erratic blood sugar levels in hot weather spells. Writing this at 6.00 am as my Libre sensor indicated I was 2.8. Pain woke me as I have shoulder joint inflammation. When I went to sleep I was 5.5 with a horizontal arrow indicating level prediction as was the night before. When I woke yesterday morning I was 4.8. I think it could be down to mental activity in my case. I had been ordering stuff on line just before going to bed and sometimes I think we underestimate this kind of activity.
I have been a diabetic since I was 29 and I am now 72. I have had problems with wide readings nearly all that time despite trying very hard to keep the beast under control. Since funding the Libre system myself I have begun to understand how very complex blood sugars can be affected by a wide variety of influences fans aside!

Reactions: MissMJ73

Rylando88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Try reducing your basal slightly, sounds like you’ve got too much background insulin to me! With the weather, put clothes in freezer before putting them on (this is great with whatever u wear to bed!) also try it with bed sheets! I’ve been putting ice packs wrapped in small microfibre cloths in my bed and they seem to do the trick at keeping me nice and cool!! It’s been super hot here it was 32 degrees last week which is unheard of in the UK!! Absolutely loving it though, even if it’s a bit stuffy and uncomfortable at times I refuse to complain because we’re usually bloody freezing here!!
Good luck with your levels!! It can be a right pain and get you down but try to persevere and stay positive!!! Xxx

MuntiJay

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Close your blinds. Closing the blinds essentially prevents your home from becoming a miniature greenhouse. Also I have recently installed Fonko AC. It keeps my room cool. Also I was thinking to buy blackout curtains.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Roman blind that blocks all light. Unobtrusive in winter, devastatingly good in summer. Cheap too

Andy Foster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you don't mind the house looking an eyesore from the outside, and you have the sort of windows where there are two opening windows within the frame, try blocking the sun from even getting through the windows by either using a spare thick curtain (preferably some sort of blackout or lined curtain) or blanket, hanging it over the two open windows and trapping in the top corners by closing the windows on the material. Or, get a cheap gazebo from the supermarket and set it up immediately outside the window so that the sun isn't hitting the panes directly. The downside to the 'shutters' scheme is that the room will be quite dark and will still be warm from heat within the house. But combine it with an air conditioner vented to the outside and you can have a fairly cool escape room.
I did this last year and I think i'll be doing it again over the next couple of days since we're in for 35c. I use an old set of curtains that are a bit too shabby for proper use these days as the 'shutter' element.

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
I’m so fed up of the hot weather we are having. It’s playing havoc with my blood sugar levels. Anyone else having the same issues?

One moment when I test before eating at night mainly, they can be normal between 5 - 7 poss 8-9 if had a snack within an hour before and adjust when eating and then before I go to bed they can be as low as 4 even though I’ve injected the right amount of insulin for what I’m eating. T1 BTW. Was T2 until a year ago.

Tonight they were 4.1 so had a small can of full fat Dr Pepper and 3 chocolate digestives so to raise my levels before I go to sleep. Just tested again and they were down to 3.8!!! So had a couple of glucose tabs.

Hoping things will kick in soon so I can sleep. It’s not the first night it’s happened. My flat gets all the sun until about 2pm and even then when I get home from work it feels like an oven still. I’ve got fans going all the time in the lounge but still get hot. Could this be contributing? I’m literally sweating none stop in this heat! I don’t normally sweat unless hypo. Just get very hot!

Does any of that make sense? Sorry trying to type while battling a hypo again :(

Any ideas and suggestions welcome.
My A1Cs always drop in the summer and rise in the winter, ranging from mid 6s to low 9s. I started on insulin in February following an operation and over a couple of months the dosage increased to 38 a.m. and 30 p.m. During another recent hospital visit the doctors reduced the dose to 25 and 20 and since coming home I am down to 15 and 12 - less than when I started. It is also very hot, though not as hot as UK. I would love to get off insulin but being realistic I expect to be increasing the dose from October onwards. I also feel very hot because the body is opening capillaries and pumping blood, I believe warmed by burning glucosem to the extremities to help cool the body down. Enjoy the warmth, keep your carbs down and reduce the dose of insulin very gradually. While you want to prevent hypo., reducing dose is I believe, better than eating high Glycemic Index foods.