Aspartame & Candarel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Thanks for the link.......just so we are clear about this we are talking about injected Leucine into the Hypothalmus of Rat's.....not the consumption of what is an essential amino acid by Human's.......

TBH, I think your earlier assertion is a bit wide of what was actually stated in the article, 2+2= 5 sort of thing.......

It remains unclear if ingested leucine has the same effect as leucine injected directly into the brain, he notes.

That is from your link to the article.

As far as I am aware Leucine is an essential amino acid, one of the building blocks for protein. I know it is sometimes used as a dietary supplement as it can slow muscle tissue degradation by changing/increasing synthesis of muscle protein. It is also sometimes used as a flavour enhancer. Is this what you are talking about ?

I can't find any mention of Leucine being an ingredient of Aspartame either ? Maybe I am searching in the wrong place, perhaps you have some information that would clarify things ? I remain yet to be convinced......... :|

Dislikes
the setting sun in the evening
Just a few links to the myriad articles on the toxicity and risks of aspartame.
http://www.dorway.com/
http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartam ... tural.aspx
http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/Scf.pdf
http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/ ... pinion.pdf
http://www.dorway.com/

Dr. H. J. Roberts, M.D., F.A.C.P., F.C.C.P., internationally known medical consultant, researcher and world expert on aspartame, has declared aspartame disease to be a world epidemic. Dr. Roberts, who has authored many books on the subject, presented his findings at the First International Conference on Emerging Diseases (held in March l998 in Atlanta, Georgia), which was attended by doctors and scientists from 91 countries of the world.

http://www.alaskawellness.com/archives/ ... angers.htm

I would rather err on the side of safety than feed Aspartame to myself or my children. It is diabetics who will suffer most as they are the biggest single consumer of aspartame. My own
dietitian is also of the opinion that it is a toxin.

regards Richard.
P.S. if you are having problems finding the INGREDIENTS OF ASPARTAME Google INGREDIENTS OF ASPARTAME!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Ah......so you don't like Aspartame. No problem......

We have had Members here before and now who don't like it and it has been discussed at length, interminably in fact.

BTW, You don't have to shout and No, I am not having any trouble finding the ingredients........ just trouble finding anywhere that lists Leucine as one of the ingredients which is what you stated earlier.

I will help you out here as you seem to be unable to give me the information I asked, which I have had for some time. Here is a link to the ingredients :

http://sci-toys.com/ingredients/aspartame.html

Aspartame is made from two amino acids and methanol. When it is digested, it breaks down into these three parts. Amino acids are the normal breakdown products of proteins.

So.....let's look at it from another point of view shall we ? :D

Aspartame.......

There is much as I said before about Aspartame, including many scare stories, which are put about on the net. Much of it is old news like your links from 2001/2002 etc and usually comes from the States. They seem to be paranoid there about it. If you read most of them you wouldn't 'touch ANYTHING' with a bargepole ! :(

However, as with everything there are two sides to the story. Here is link to a previous article about sweeteners, Artificial sweeteners not linked to cancer: Study which of course includes Aspartame. I have no 'axe to grind', this is just putting another view, an even handed approach.

http://www.foodnavigator.com/Science-Nu ... ncer-Study

Some extracts from the article:

Although all the sweeteners used in the EU have been approved and are deemed safe by the food safety authorities, internet forums, newspaper reports and some scientific literature continue to garner suspicion.
and
In response to the ERF’s reports the European Food Safety Authority’s (EFSA) panel on Food Additives and Nutrient Sources said there is no indication that aspartame causes cancer following its assessment of a study that linked regular intake of the sweetener with increased risk of certain cancers.
and
While the results are promising for sweetener users, it is noted that the study was only based in Italy, and therefore generalisation to other populations is not possible. Additionally, the study was limited to only three types of cancer. Indeed, the earlier findings of the ERF study reported increased risk of leukaemia, lymphomas and breast cancer, none of which were considered by Bosetti and her co-workers.
and
On the other hand, a US study sponsored by the National Cancer Institute involving 285,079 men and 188,905 women, ages 50 to 69, found no statistically significant link between aspartame consumption and leukaemia, lymphomas or brain tumours (Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2006, Vol. 15, pp. 1654-1659).
and
Furthermore, a review published in 2007 in Critical Reviews in Toxicology (Vol. 37, pp. 629-727) concluded that suggestions of adverse effects had 'no credible scientific basis'. The review was conduced by a panel of eight experts over an 11 month period. It considered over 500 studies, articles and reports conducted over the last 25 years - including work that was not published, but that was submitted to government bodies as part of the regulatory approvals process.

I drink things which contain many things which some consider to be dangerous, however I take a more balanced view and don't listen to scare stories. There are plenty of organisations on the net who beieve them and try to 'spread the word' .........well, I've heard it all before and frankly I respect their views......it just isn't the only one.......

Here is something more recent.......April 2010

A team of national experts drawn from EU member states has concluded that there is no new evidence on aspartame that would require EFSA to reassess its opinion that the sweetener is safe, although additional studies could add to knowledge of the sweetener and its metabolites.

and this

Although some studies have suggested possible adverse effects, the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) has scrutinised the methodology and findings of safety studies and has repeatedly reaffirmed its positive safety opinion. The acceptable daily intake (ADI) is 40 mg/kg bw/day, and a 2002 opinion from the Scientific Committee on Food held that this level is unlikely to be exceeded.

and this

They emphasized that using anecdotal data has great limitations and there is therefore a need for caution when interpreting them, but the said the information gathered could help guide the design of any investigative studies on sensitivity and possible underlying mechanisms.

Now if you want to believe all that Mercola et al push out........ :wink:

Almost forgot.......another link from 2010 :

http://www.thefamilygp.com/Is-aspartame-safe.htm

In other words, dozens of studies have failed to find a relationship between the consumption of aspartame and long term health risks. While many people have reported adverse reactions to aspartame, most commonly headache, this has not been proven in research involving double blind trials looking at short term effects.

Despite this, it is possible that some people may have an unusual reaction and therefore might want to avoid consuming aspartame.

There is, in fact, one medically proven warning relating to the consumption of aspartame. It relates to one of the breakdown products of aspartame, an amino acid called phenylalanine.

Patients diagnosed with the rare hereditary disease Phenylketonuria should avoid aspartame as they have difficulty in metabolising phenylalanine, which accumulates and causes health problems.

Dislikes
Source and link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canderel
Canderel is a brand of artificial sweetener made mainly from aspartame. Canderel is marketed by The Merisant Company, a global corporation with headquarters in Chicago, Illinois, also Switzerland, Mexico, and Australia.
Canderel was first marketed in France in 1979. The name "Canderel" is a combination of candi (or sugar cane) and airelles - the French word for bilberries.[1]
"Canderel granular" ingredients: maltodextrin, aspartame, acesulfame potassium, flavouring.
"Canderel tablets" ingredients: lactose, aspartame, acesulfame potassium, leucine, cross-linked CMC, flavouring.
Canderel is said to be interchangeable with sugar in a 1 to 10 mass ratio.[2

If you dont believe that Canderel contains leucine.Then you dont believe the ingredients listed on the back of that clicky little dispenser they sell them in.

A intriguing "factoid" below!

Dr. John Olney, researcher at Washington University in St. Louis and pioneer in aspartame research, says aspartame “hasn’t been demonstrated to be safe,” and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) agreed after receiving a unanimous ruling by an FDA-assigned public board of inquiry. It bears repeating: the FDA agreed with the findings that aspartame is not safe.

But then came 1981, when Dr. Arthur Hill Hayes – a food additive neophyte – replaced the sitting FDA Chairman. Dr. Hayes was hand-picked by a prominent member of Ronald Reagan’s political transition team, Donald Rumsfeld (yes, that Donald Rumsfeld). Rumsfeld also happened to be CEO of G.D Searle company (now owned by Monsanto), the company who owned the patent on aspartame. Once Dr. Hayes was installed, aspartame was promptly approved.

Also of all the adverse reactions to food additives reported to the FDA, aspartame accounts for over 75 percent of complaints.

I distinctly remember complaining about instant hypos when I was moved onto humalin insulin.I along with tens of thousands of other diabetics in the UK and Ireland were told that we were imagining it. There are also tens of thousands of diabetics on Lantus who are having imaginary side effects including death. Despite the overwhealming evidence against Lantus, it like Aspartame still remain approved by the authorities that be!
:(

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Ah, but you see you said Aspartame contained Leucine........you didn't mention anything about Canderel which has it's own list of ingredients ???

All very interesting stuff but still old 'factoids.' :(

I am still waiting for you to show me where it says Aspartame contains Leucine........

I have no idea why you are so bothered about Leucine as it is the most common amino acid found in proteins, and is essential for regulation of blood-sugar levels and growth and repair of muscle tissues, skin and bone and growth hormone production. It is also responsible for wound healing and energy regulation. All good I would have thought.

As to the merit's or demerit's of sweeteners, well millions of people use them, millions of people use products containing Aspartame.....shall we let people read the 'evidence' and make their own minds up ........

Lantus is another matter, we wouldn't want to derail the thread would we. :) There is a large thread called 'Lantus Problems' in 'Diabetes Medication and Drugs' section. Possibly of interest to you.

Off for now........ :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Oh yes........just a small, well actually not very small addition........the Opinion of the Scientific Committee on Food: Update on the Safety of Aspartame (expressed on 4 December 2002). It hasn't changed........

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/ ... pinion.pdf

Conclusion
The Committee concluded that on the basis of its review of all the data in animals and
humans available to date, there is no evidence to suggest that there is a need to revise
the outcome of the earlier risk assessment
or the ADI previously established for
aspartame.

Dislikes
"Oh yes........just a small, well actually not very small addition........the Opinion of the Scientific Committee on Food: Update on the Safety of Aspartame (expressed on 4 December 2002). It hasn't changed........"
You will then have no problems in publicly endorsing on behalf of Diabetes.co.uk that Aspartame is safe to consume and carries no risks to the diabetics who use it.

If Diabetes.co.uk and yourself say that it is safe to consume Aspartame then I will use it without fear and also give it to my children.

So...is it safe to consume Aspartame? A one word answer, Yes or No without sarcastic comments would be most appreciated.

Regards Richard.E.Craig

All correspondence recorded.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Richard.
You seem to misunderstand the idea of a forum, especially a discussion forum. Everybody is entitled to an opinion. I would refer you to this from the Administrator of this forum.........

Please also bear in mind that the views expressed on this forum by members or moderators in no way represent the views of Diabetes.co.uk. Diabetes.co.uk takes no legal responsibility for any advice, disputes or problems arising from this forum.

I am free to post my own personal opinions on this Forum, which is exactly what I have posted. Personally as someone who uses products which contain Aspartame and have done for many years, I am very happy to consume them and if anyone wishes to partake of the products that is a matter entirely for them to consider after weighing up the evidence from all quarters. What Diabetes.co.uk think of them is not a matter for me. DCUK is a separate entity and only provides this Forum as a service to all Diabetic's.

It is a shame that because I have posted things in opposition to your obvious dislike for the product that you seek to involve DCUK. I am a Monitor here and sometimes have to ensure the Forum runs in accordance with the Ethos and Policies demanded by the Administrator. That does not mean that I cannot post my personal opinions here. Those are the facts.

As for recording 'correspondence'.......well it is here for all to see.

Dislikes
"I am a Monitor here and sometimes have to ensure the Forum runs in accordance with the Ethos and Policies demanded by the Administrator"

Does the Administrator demand twisted sarcasm and bullying? you have spent the whole night making me have to defend my opinions,you have followed my every post and left demeaning comments, demanding that I verify every single word I write.

I ask you again, has Aspartame been proven to be safe Yes or No?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Richard.
Twisted sarcasm.......Bullying ? Oh dear...... :(

I am posting MY opinion, MY comments. Factual and concise as one Member once put it. They are nothing to do with the Administrator or anyone else for that matter. I enjoy debate or discussion, on-line or in person. I don't mind if I lose the argument, at least the issue has been explored. We can all learn things. We are all Adults after all.

I don't make statements I cannot back up. When asked, I have always been able to provide a source for anything I post. I also don't resort to totally unjustified allegations if someone has a different view to me. I totally reject your allegations. Nobody makes you answer anything.

It is a discussion area, aptly called The SoapBox. You made a statement that you haven't been able to back up. I doubted what you had stated and correctly asked you for a source and got the anti-Aspartame argument instead. I am able to back up all that I have posted regarding Aspartame, give sources. You put your side of things, I put mine, that isn't bullying, it isn't sarcasm. It is called debate or discussion. What this place is all about. Your view isn't the same as mine.......I don't see a problem with that as I stated previously ?

People have the facts as you see them, and the facts as I see them. I am not forcing you or anyone else to agree with my point of view. Sometimes a Member disagrees with something I have posted, they put their view and we may discuss it further, sometimes come to an understanding, sometimes agree to differ. A civilised way of doing things I think. I am not demanding you re-state your view, which is perfectly obvious. I think Members can make their own minds up about things, don't you ?

I have made my position regarding Aspartame clear in my previous posts, I see no reason to repeat myself......so we will have to agree to differ. To move on.......