Aspartame & Candarel

Jimmac

Hi,
The topic seems to have slowed somewhat – I would like to hope that it is because members are busy checking what they eat and looking for alternatives to aspartame - this post is some background for the site administrators to consider, and hopefully some additional info for members :-.

I have to first apologise to Dennis as I didn't know you were an administer when I replied to your comments, however I'm not sure the content of my reply would have been much different. Taking Sue's advice I read through the previous thread, and found the ladies account of her experience to be quite compelling, and I'm very pleased the lad is doing reasonably well. - Just suppose for a moment that aspartame was the cause of the boy’s condition ( since no other cause could be identified) – who would the parents go to for recompense ??.

I have read countless such experiences and others in my research, also the put downs, similar to those she experienced. The question that always strikes me is why !!. what motivates an otherwise ordinary person, such as you see in your forum and others, to react this way at the mention of the word ASPARTAME.- I can tell you why I do, I get very angry indeed - the reasons:-

1. I know for definite, that aspartame has a serious detrimental effect on my body.(see my first post)
2. I also know that it does not have any apparent effect on my wife - we eat exactly the same things.
3. I know that I (and everyone else in the world) have been consuming aspartame for 27 years without any knowledge of the danger, nor the scientific controversy over its safety.

4. I know that very few of our doctors are aware of point 3 either, and that is the fault of the FSA who declare it safe - with all the controversy this has to be questionable.

This knowledge, and the fact that aspartame has been continuously challenged by caring scientists, doctors and ordinary people (mainly in the US ) over all these years, and been put down by dodgy industry backed scientific opinion. (yet FSA says it is safe- no problems ) manufacturers have been feeding us this poison legally, our doctors, all our medical professionals and caring organisations (including Diabetic UK) have been led into dismissing aspartame poisoning, as a cause of illness - their centre for information is the FSA !!. and they say it is safe, so that's all right - isn't it ??..

When I realised all this, I became very angry and believe that this is the emotion that sets people off, together with a desire to warn other people and make them AWARE, I couldn't believe I had been exposed to this product most of my life and had never even heard of it. - If you detect that I am not particularly happy with the FSA. you are right, I believe they have seriously let the people of Great Britain down and should immediately apologise and issue a cautionary note about aspartame and let everyone decide for themselves whether to consume aspartame or not.- -

Aspartame is not an essential food product, it is a very successfully marketed poison, kept in circulation by Dirty Money.

When debating the pros and cons of the aspartame debate, I would suggest there are two questions which must be born in mind all the way through, - "What does each side get out of it" and "What are the stakes for me"

Regards,

Jimmac

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Jimmac,

No apology needed. If you feel really strongly about something, as you obviously do on the subject of aspartame, then the Soapbox forum is the place to air your views. But don't expect everyone to agree with you! Some will question your motives, others will question the science, the research, and others will argue simply because they have been using the substance for years without realising the dangers and now can't or won't admit that they may have been wrong.

Personally I have never had a problem with aspartame but I choose to avoid it whenever I can because I am aware of the doubts about its safety. Unfortunately there are times when this is just not possible, like if out at an event where the only thing available to drink that won't send my BS spiralling is diet Coke. Interesting though that even the Coca Cola empire for the past 3 years has been looking for an alternative to aspartame that won't change the taste of their drinks. I believe that in Japan they now use Stevia as a sweetener, but they wouldn't be able to do that in Europe because Stevia is banned over here - on safety grounds! Of course CC are well aware of that, but has it stopped them using it where they can? Of course not - why should a little thing like public safety get in the way of making a buck!

Maxjonz

I have just been diagnosed with 'pre diabetes' and told I cannot drink coke any more ! I used Candarel with aspartame in the 1990s and had weird pains in my wrists hands and legs ( Probably all to do with tendons) . I saw 3 doctors who could not tell me what was wrong. I gave up Candarel and the pains went away. If I accidentally have any aspartame then the pains return.
I cannot therefore drink any 'diet' drinks. I have not idea what I should drink (other than water) when I go to the pub with my friends..... Has anyone got any good ideas ? I suppose I could have Tomato juice, but I don't know whats in that yet.

chocoholic

I don't drink at all but others on here seem to have red wine without problem, if you like an alcoholic drink. If you cant have the diet drinks and want a soft drink then it is very limiting but I tend to stick to water in pubs to play it safe anyway. I'm always worried that the bar-person will slip up and give me full-sugar Coke or similar by mistake. There's no mistake with water and find it the most refreshing drink of all anyway. With ice and a slice of lemon or lime, it doesn't look too uncool, if that concerns you. Moi?......I gave up on looking cool years ago. :lol:

Trinkwasser

Some soft drinks etc. use other sweeteners, often Splenda. A few people do have genuine problems with particular sweeteners but usually can find a different one that works. Oh yeah, Stevia is also now being used in other drinks. Check the small print.

spud 1

What about the Maltitol and isomalt that THORNTONS put in their diabetic chocolates, just two
chocolates will make your BOTTOM EXPLODE!!!
Why can they not use any of the other sweeteners
that are not a major laxatives ?
For such a large company to be so uncaring towards diabetics is just plain staggering.
Do please warn everyone so that they dont get caught with their trousers down !!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
That's why most knowledgeable diabetics avoid anything marked ' for diabetics' like the plague !! :twisted: :twisted:

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
A friend tells me that anyone regularly eating sweeteners containing aspartame should arrange for a discount from the undertakers as that is what is used for embalming! :shock: :shock: :shock:

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
I react very badly to any of these sweetners so it's a big no no for me.
Following on with the point put forward about the sleazy undertakings of these merchants putting this stuff forward - when Aspartame was in it's new days, a documentary on tv showed how the test done on rats for this product had been falsified. When No.1 rat died another was put in it's place and the trials carried on as if it was the same animal! I watched this programme thinking "Well that won't be going out on our shelves!" So I was absolutely gobsmacked to find it in the shops within only a few weeks.
Anyway, I can always tell when there is any artificial sweetner in a product -- Horrible taste!!!!
I would rather have half a can of "normal" drink ,for example,than a whole can of "diet" stuff.

pavmas

i would take sugar before I would take aspartame, aspartame have bad withdrawal problems, at the diabetic clinic they go on about my smoking and the dangers of smoking but not once did the ever warn me about aspartame or fruit sugar.
Hermesetas is a safe option for type 1s , 3 years i have researched this'.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Getting back to the original title of this thread - can anyone on this forum recommend a sweetner I can put in tea, coffee, etc that is, if not good for me at least is doing me no more harm?

I'm a simple guy looking for easy answers. :wink:

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Maxjonz said:
I have just been diagnosed with 'pre diabetes' and told I cannot drink coke any more ! I used Candarel with aspartame in the 1990s and had weird pains in my wrists hands and legs ( Probably all to do with tendons) . I saw 3 doctors who could not tell me what was wrong. I gave up Candarel and the pains went away. If I accidentally have any aspartame then the pains return.
I cannot therefore drink any 'diet' drinks. I have not idea what I should drink (other than water) when I go to the pub with my friends..... Has anyone got any good ideas ? I suppose I could have Tomato juice, but I don't know whats in that yet.

Red wine, in moderation, is good for both your blood glucose levels and your heart. :D

Whisky is another good drink, mixed with water if you have to dilute it with anything!!!

viv1969

Synonym said:
A friend tells me that anyone regularly eating sweeteners containing aspartame should arrange for a discount from the undertakers as that is what is used for embalming! :shock: :shock: :shock:

This is simply not true.
Aspartame contains phenylalamine, which is a breakdown product of formaldehyde and methonol, and it is formaldehyde which is used for embalming. They are NOT the same substance.
I do wish people would spout blatently fear-inducing drivel! (Not you...your friend)

RoseRodent

I was told to avoid all artificial sweeteners because early research indicates that if your body tastes sweet in the mouth it will prepare for the arrival of glucose in the blood. If no glucose arrives that leaves your body annoyed and (for type 2) full of insulin that it cannot use. The human body was not designed for there to be sweet things that don't break down into glucose, so the body associates sweet taste with a need for insulin, and prepares as if it's sugar. The "diabetic diet sheet" is crammed with sugar free this and that and it has potential to just make you feel much more ill.

Not the answer people are looking for but the upcoming guidance is to become used to a diet lower in sweetness and use only natural sweetness, even if that means having very little of real sugar instead of a whole bunch of sugar frees.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to take 3 spoons of sugar in my tea before DB I staarted by cutting half a spoonful per week and now I cant stand sweet tea at all so your taste buds can be trained not to expect sweet things.
CAROL

Dislikes
the setting sun in the evening
If I have learned anything over the past 30 years of marriage to diabetes it has been to stay well clear of the dreaded "SUITABLE FOR DIABETICS" moniker. In fact, I think the labels should read "NOT FIT FOR DOGS" here's a shocking "factoid" saccharin is a residual wast product of the tar collected in crude petroleum production, 60% of white mice will tell you it causes cancer :shock: As for aspartame ,one of its constituents Leucine is known to actually effect the hypothalamus in such a way as to mask the hunger tremble associated with a low blood-sugar! (IT FOOLS THE BODY INTO THINKING THAT THERE IS AN ABUNDANT SUPPLY OF SUGAR IN THE BLOOD) :!: :!: :!:
If you really must sweeten things and only if you have good control of your glucose levels use sugar [b]sparingly[/b] as a very small fraction of your daily carbohydrate allowance.
Regards Ricky...

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Richard.E.Craig said:
As for aspartame ,one of its constituents Leucine is known to actually effect the hypothalamus in such a way as to mask the hunger tremble associated with a low blood-sugar! (IT FOOLS THE BODY INTO THINKING THAT THERE IS AN ABUNDANT SUPPLY OF SUGAR IN THE BLOOD) :!: :!: :!:

Do you have a source for that information ?

Dislikes
the setting sun in the evening
Hi Cugila , I learned of this effect in a New Scientist article published some time ago. If you go to the following address you will find many interesting studies. ajpendo.physiology.org/
I have been concerned for a very long time at the mass pushing of leucine into the processed "diet" food industry. Although we require Leucine in our bodies (usually obtained from meat) the amount we receive in processed food far exceeds what is safe.
regards Ricky

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
It's a pity you don't have a direct link to the actual article you refer to rather than just a link to the APS in general where it is not mentioned. As the New Scientist is also online, it would have given your comment more validity. Never mind.......

Aspartame detractors are many, although many of the comments are not actually proven, scientifically validated. I always was a bit of a sceptic when things are stated as fact and I don't see the evidence.

Thanks anyway........