Newly Diagnosed Gestational Diabetes..anxious An Have Loads Of Questions..help

Ciara86

Newly diagnosed with GD but feeling i am probably type 2 that was never picked up. I am 29 wks pregnant. Is this too late to change my diet to have less effect on baby?? Sooo worried as have had crazy sweet tooth over last 7 months and panicked how this will affect the baby. Am i too late?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
You can't change what's past. So just try your best from now on.
Have they given you a test meter? Target blood sugar levels? Medication? Extra scans?

Ciara86

No none of these het but said i may have to wait 5 weeks on appointment so dont no if i will need insulin or metformin. Just worried how this will affect my baby now

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Waiting 5 weeks seems unreasonable given the circumstances, then you'll be at 34 weeks. Please call your midwife/GP to ask for more support as you should be given more scans to check growth.
In the meantime as you are not using medication try to stay away from too many carbs - bread, pasta, rice, cereals, potatoes.

Keep us posted and congratulations on the pregnancy.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Ciara86 I also had GD and it wasn't picked up until 23 weeks, it explained my lack of energy, sweet tooth etc, I was put straight onto insulin, no dietary advice as such, I felt like I was stumbling round in the dark to be honest and it was a shock to be diagnosed. The issue I had was that my blood glucose levels were feeding my baby so she was born with a high birth weight and I was induced at 37 weeks too for this reason. Apart from this all was fine with my daughter though.

You need more support than 'we'll check again in 5 weeks' so as @Diakat has said call up your DSN/Midwife and ask for more support.

Try not to worry though, stress doesn't help you or baby, but if you can avoid sugars/carbs etc and replace with protein, veges etc, please let us know how you get on ?