5th Week I've Put On A Kilo???

Ojustaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Started a strict low carb high fat diet, I've kept under 20 carbs a day (24 some days but that's with me rounding everything up)

Each Monday I weigh myself wearing the same clothes on the same scales, making sure the scales are set to zero first.

This week I've put on 1kg and to be honest, it's got me very down and I don't understand why. Sure I don't expect to loose 2kg every week, but I dodn't think I'd put weight on either?

9th July 2018 120kg (Start of diet)
23rd July 2018 116.5kg (waited two weeks before weighing)
30th July 2018 114kg
6th August 2018 112.5kg.
13th August 2018 113.5kg

I've kept a strict list of carbs, followed the diet doctors recipes to the letter, and my mouth is still like a sewer hence I presume I'm still in ketosis?

BREAKFAST
I've eaten the same breakfast for 5 weeks, the only addition has been 4 button mushrooms fried in butter which is 60 - 70gt, depending on which site you read, 70 grams of raw mushrooms is 2 - 3.5g of carbs.

According to diet doctor my breakfast is 1g and that's with tomatoes which I don't have, so at worst, if it's still 1g without tomatoes, adding the mushrooms makes it max 4.5g.

Total 4.5g

LUNCH
For lunch I'm having 25g spinach leaves, 50g iceburg lettuce, mayo, and some form of cold meat.
Spinach is 1g per 100g, Lettuce is 2 per 100g, mayo says per 100g 1.5g Carbs of which sugar 1.5g
I don't weigh the mayo, but the jar is 475g and lasts me way over a week, so if I say 1.5g a day for mayo, it's really a lot under that.

some days I had two or three cold chicken thighs which say "per average two thighs 0.2g carbs of which sugars 0.2g"
So the chicken days, 1g for lettuce and lets say 1g for spinach, 1.5g for mayo and 0.5g for chicken, = total 4g

Some days I've had salami or other German type sausage but always made sure it never goes above 2 carbs, so those days my lunch is a total of 5.5g

Total 4 - 5.5g depending on what meat I have.

I've also skipped lunch completely in the past week twice

DINNER
Dinner has been one of either
"keto pork chops woith Cabbage casserole" 11g
"Warm Keto Kale Salad" 5g

I have one for about a week then swap to the other.
I either add pork belly strips or steak to them (do't have pork chops).

I'm really liking the kale salad at the moment and have only had that in the past 8 days

Some days, Sugar free Jelly (<0.5g) with extra thick whipped cream (2.5g)

Total 14g if having casserole and jelly n cream
8g if having salad and jelly n cream.

So the total of all my meals (and this is rounding up so it's really a few carbs less)

Past week, only had keto salad, Total = 18g per day and I put on 1kg (plus I had two days where I skipped lunch.

Previous week where I lost 1.5kg and had the casserole Total = 24g per day

Again these carbs are overestimates, but why did I put on 1kg this week when I only have a max 18g a day yet loose it on the other weeks when I've had exactly the same, and still loose it on those weeks where I had the higher carb dinners?

I've stuck to this religiously, made sure I've kept a record, only drunk water etc etc etc

But now I've put on weight, while I will keep at it, it's not very encouraging.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Started a strict low carb high fat diet, I've kept under 20 carbs a day (24 some days but that's with me rounding everything up)

Each Monday I weigh myself wearing the same clothes on the same scales, making sure the scales are set to zero first.

This week I've put on 1kg and to be honest, it's got me very down and I don't understand why. Sure I don't expect to loose 2kg every week, but I dodn't think I'd put weight on either?

30th July 2018 114kg
6th August 2018 112.5kg.
13th August 2018 113.5kg

I've kept a strict list of carbs, followed the diet doctors recipes to the letter, and my mouth is still like a sewer hence I presume I'm still in ketosis?

BREAKFAST
I've eaten the same breakfast for 5 weeks, the only addition has been 4 button mushrooms fried in butter which is 60 - 70gt, depending on which site you read, 70 grams of raw mushrooms is 2 - 3.5g of carbs.

According to diet doctor my breakfast is 1g and that's with tomatoes which I don't have, so at worst, if it's still 1g without tomatoes, adding the mushrooms makes it max 4.5g.

Total 4.5g

LUNCH
For lunch I'm having 25g spinach leaves, 50g iceburg lettuce, mayo, and some form of cold meat.
Spinach is 1g per 100g, Lettuce is 2 per 100g, mayo says per 100g 1.5g Carbs of which sugar 1.5g
I don't weigh the mayo, but the jar is 475g and lasts me way over a week, so if I say 1.5g a day for mayo, it's really a lot under that.

some days I had two or three cold chicken thighs which say "per average two thighs 0.2g carbs of which sugars 0.2g"
So the chicken days, 1g for lettuce and lets say 1g for spinach, 1.5g for mayo and 0.5g for chicken, = total 4g

Some days I've had salami or other German type sausage but always made sure it never goes above 2 carbs, so those days my lunch is a total of 5.5g

DINNER

I'm really liking the kale salad at the moment and have only had that in the past 8 days

So the total of all my meals (and this is rounding up so it's really a few carbs less)

Past week, only had keto salad, Total = 18g per day and I put on 1kg (plus I had two days where I skipped lunch.

Again these carbs are overestimates, but why did I put on 1kg this week when I only have a max 18g a day yet loose it on the other weeks when I've had exactly the same, and still loose it on those weeks where I had the higher carb dinners?

I've stuck to this religiously, made sure I've kept a record, only drunk water etc etc etc

This might seem like a weird question, but ah.... Are you like me? I get really constipated on keto. And if I'm unable to use the bathroom for a few days, I put on "weight". Until I manage to go to the bathroom, then weigh myself, and hey presto, it turns out I'm lighter than I was before the supposed gain. Could be water retention due to the recent heat, which'll vanish again. I can't find anything in your diet that might be tripping you up, so... Keep with it and see what happens?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

30th July 2018 114kg
6th August 2018 112.5kg.
13th August 2018 113.5kg

BREAKFAST

Total 4.5g

LUNCH

DINNER

I weigh myself every morning, no particular reason to as I don't need to lose any weight, but it is something to do while the shower heats up. Sometimes I am up a pound or even 2 and sometimes I am down so may be your extra kilo is just a random change and will even out. Dehydration, or lack of it, makes a lot of difference, maybe it is that.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
for what its worth, to lose weight i need to control both my carbs AND my calories or i can easily eat too much fat and my weight stalls or goes up.

Reactions: Jemz and lcarter

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Your diet Ojustaboo is almost exactly the same as mine, although I often have a 250g rump steak for dinner. My weight is 80kg. But my weight fluctuates daily by as much as 6lb. Keep it up, I am sure it will work.

Reactions: Ojustaboo

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Weight goes up and down.. I can gain or lose 4 pounds from one day to the next.. food in transit even having a wee can make a big difference. Don't stress about it.. but that's why I weigh daily so I can monitor the ups and downs.

brianmt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Remember a litre of water weighs a kilo, very easy to put a kilo or two on or off in a few days. My weight varies by a couple of kilos a week , depending on when I weight myself, but the trend is deffinetly downward

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

30th July 2018 114kg
6th August 2018 112.5kg.
13th August 2018 113.5kg

BREAKFAST

Total 4.5g

LUNCH

DINNER

There was recently a thread on here where various folks gave their views on how often to weigh. Needless to say views varied from every day to never and preferring to judge by waistbands or whatever.

I'm an every morning weigher. I have my step-on/step-off routine, and once a week I do a more in depth measurement, where I look at body fat and muscle percentages and visceral fat score. and compare from the previous week. My weight is very stable, but it varies by a couple of ponds on a day to day basis.

Is there any way you could weigh every morning for a couple of weeks just to reassure yourself of what goes on? I tend to get up, empty my bladder and weigh - nekkid, for consistency.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Brunneria has previously posted a lovely weight loss diagram - it shows how loss is not a straight line but (to borrow from the T1 threads) an etch-a-sketch type route with many ups and downs.

Ojustaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This might seem like a weird question, but ah.... Are you like me? I get really constipated on keto. And if I'm unable to use the bathroom for a few days, I put on "weight". Until I manage to go to the bathroom, then weigh myself, and hey presto, it turns out I'm lighter than I was before the supposed gain. Could be water retention due to the recent heat, which'll vanish again. I can't find anything in your diet that might be tripping you up, so... Keep with it and see what happens?

I am the opposite sort of.

I suffer from IBS and for example last night I spent far too long on the toilet with to put it bluntly, liquid coming out of my rear.
This morning, I had my breakfast, but had only drunk 1/2 pint of water before going swimming which is where I weigh myself.

Normally I go at 4pm on a Monday, after having at least 3 pints of water throughout the day and my lunch, today was the first day I had gone at 11am, but after last nights IBS probs, lack of water today etc, the last thing I presumed was that I had put anything on, I thought I might have lost the most yet :)

Ojustaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
There was recently a thread on here where various folks gave their views on how often to weigh. Needless to say views varied from every day to never and preferring to judge by waistbands or whatever.

I'm an every morning weigher. I have my step-on/step-off routine, and once a week I do a more in depth measurement, where I look at body fat and muscle percentages and visceral fat score. and compare from the previous week. My weight is very stable, but it varies by a couple of ponds on a day to day basis.

Is there any way you could weigh every morning for a couple of weeks just to reassure yourself of what goes on? I tend to get up, empty my bladder and weigh - nekkid, for consistency.

Thanks everyone, comments much appreciated.

I'm one of those people who have been on one diet or another for the last 20 odd years, but getting type 2, has really made me take things seriously.

My wife commented today how she has never seen me be so strict etc than I have in the last 5 weeks.

This week I weighed myself at 11am the other weeks have been at 4pm, that's the only difference.

I got rid of my old scales as I thought I was weighing myself too often and getting too down when it went the wring way (this is a couple of years ago before type 2), I thought I was better weighing myself once a week on the same scales wearing the same clothes, so as not to get too worried by ups and downs.

Might have to invest in scales.

My wife tells me my body/face does look a bit bloated today, both my IBS and my CFS/ME can cause this, so maybe that also could be the cause.

I'm eating under half the amount of food I was eating before I went on this diet, but reading what Luckylocket61 said above, maybe I need to cut down the rasher and only have one egg a day?

This is also the first time I haven't thought of giving in after a bad weigh

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am the opposite sort of.

I suffer from IBS and for example last night I spent far too long on the toilet with to put it bluntly, liquid coming out of my rear.
This morning, I had my breakfast, but had only drunk 1/2 pint of water before going swimming which is where I weigh myself.

Normally I go at 4pm on a Monday, after having at least 3 pints of water throughout the day and my lunch, today was the first day I had gone at 11am, but after last nights IBS probs, lack of water today etc, the last thing I presumed was that I had put anything on, I thought I might have lost the most yet :)
I have IBS too. Usually if what's coming out is truly water-thin, I am actually blocked and water's all that's getting past the blockage. (Had to look up what that's called in English; Overflow diarrhea. Great, now I feel like I should call a plumber!). Regardless, like others have said, weight fluctuates throughout the day, and there can be quite a bit of difference weighing in the a.m and p.m., so try not to worry about it. I log my progress in an app myself; if I don't see much change, the graph in the app 'll tell me different, and how far I've come. Between meds, and a non-functioning thyroid it takes me about a month or longer to lose a kilo on Keto and IF, so... It could be worse, really. You've been making great progress!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I may be the odd one out here, but I'd say get rid of your scales altogether. Type 2 is something that needs to be managed LONG TERM. If the scales dictate how you feel about yourself on any given day, then I don't think they sound too healthy for your motivation going forward. Concentrate on the diet and your BG responses to the diet. Forget about the scales - your BG control is much more important than your weight anyway :angelic:

Your meter is a much more critical metric, IMHO.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I may be the odd one out here, but I'd say get rid of your scales altogether. Type 2 is something that needs to be managed LONG TERM. If the scales dictate how you feel about yourself on any given day, then I don't think they sound too healthy for your motivation going forward. Concentrate on the diet and your BG responses to the diet. Forget about the scales - your BG control is much more important than your weight anyway :angelic:

Your meter is a much more critical metric, IMHO.

I agree. I had become quite het up about my weight loss and it was beginning to really stress me out so I have not weighed my self in weeks neither have I measured my waist. My BGs are good and I feel well and these are, as you say, more important.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree. I had become quite het up about my weight loss and it was beginning to really stress me out so I have not weighed my self in weeks neither have I measured my waist. My BGs are good and I feel well and these are, as you say, more important.
Plus, I find my eyeballs and my clothes do a pretty good job of letting me know how I'm doing. Only time I weigh myself these days is if I'm forced to by HCP's.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Ojustaboo like many of the other people here I weigh myself most days, it’s just habit. I find I can vary as much as 1 or 2 kilos for no obvious reason.
Your general trend is downwards looks like you’ve lost around 7k in just over a month which is great.
If your bgs and waist size are improving too then its all good. Don’t lose heart.

Ojustaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
As I was using the scales at my local swimming pool, (haven't been there since I started this thread), today I did the sensible thing and bought some digital scales.

August 6th I was 112.5kg , August 13th was 113,5kg, Today on my new scales I'm 112.7kg.

While 112.7 is lower than the 113.5kg I weighed 12 days ago, it's still 0.2kg heavier than 19 days ago and even though I know different scales etc are different, it's still a little demoralising.

But all scales are different and last Sunday I went to a family event where I was assured the buffet would have cold meats etc, it didn't, I was starving, even the chicken had breadcrumbs on it, in the end I thought "sod it, I'm having the afternoon off"

My previous highest ever blood sugar reading (well haven't had the meter that long) was 7.7. When I got back home last Sunday and checked my blood it was a whopping 9.5

Monday it seemed back to normal, but I suspect that might have mucked up my keto diet for a few days?

I've been eating so little the past two weeks apart from that Sunday, that I would have thought I would loose weight even if I wasn't on a keto diet.

So new scales, going to do what a couple of you do, get up, empty my bladder and weigh myself every day. That way I can properly monitor what's happening over time. Bought the scales that also measure body fat, body water and BMI, although at the moment I know I'm off the charts in all 3 areas.

Reactions: Serena51

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I'm the same @Guzzler I'd lose a kg or two & immediately go into fix-it mode, tweaking macros/changing exercise & so on so as to halt it but it grew tiresome. I've now decided to just stick with my higher-than-some protein levels which are OK blood sugar/energy wise, do whatever exercise I feel like doing & stress less! I've actually managed to gain some muscle but as to my actual weight? Who the heck knows :)

Reactions: Serena51

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As I was using the scales at my local swimming pool, (haven't been there since I started this thread), today I did the sensible thing and bought some digital scales.

August 6th I was 112.5kg , August 13th was 113,5kg, Today on my new scales I'm 112.7kg.

While 112.7 is lower than the 113.5kg I weighed 12 days ago, it's still 0.2kg heavier than 19 days ago and even though I know different scales etc are different, it's still a little demoralising.

But all scales are different and last Sunday I went to a family event where I was assured the buffet would have cold meats etc, it didn't, I was starving, even the chicken had breadcrumbs on it, in the end I thought "sod it, I'm having the afternoon off"

My previous highest ever blood sugar reading (well haven't had the meter that long) was 7.7. When I got back home last Sunday and checked my blood it was a whopping 9.5

Monday it seemed back to normal, but I suspect that might have mucked up my keto diet for a few days?

I've been eating so little the past two weeks apart from that Sunday, that I would have thought I would loose weight even if I wasn't on a keto diet.

So new scales, going to do what a couple of you do, get up, empty my bladder and weigh myself every day. That way I can properly monitor what's happening over time. Bought the scales that also measure body fat, body water and BMI, although at the moment I know I'm off the charts in all 3 areas.

Ooops - forgot my reply to the OP!

Losing over 7kg in a month and a half is no small feat @Ojustaboo so it does seem as if things are trending the way you want. The fact that you have not eaten much in the past couple of weeks combined with your previous weight loss & previous dieting history may just have freaked your body out a little so it's 'fighting back' some. It'll get used to things & the scale will start to move again :)

Ojustaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Many thanks all, buying the scales was the best thing I've done in ages.

Waking up, emptying my bladder, then weighing myself each day gives a good indication that I'm on the right course.

Here's my weight from 26th August to today (7th Sept).

26: 111.1kg
27: 110.9kg
28: 110.7kg
29: 110.6kg
30: 110.6kg
31: 109.8kg
01: 109.6kg
02: 110.0kg (constipated)
03: 110.6kg (still constipated)
04: 109.7kg
05: I know I wrote it down, but cant find where
06: 109.4kg