Spike Testflight

BrixtonType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all! Forgive me if you know all this, but we might get people searching the thread for this information, so I’m being thorough!

The Libre season alone needs the Abbott scanner or iPhone 7 or above to scan it directly, due to the NFC chip in the phone.

Spike, downloaded as a beta test app here (because it’s not officially sanctioned as a medical app by the NHS or FDA) via TestFlight (in the App Store) is what you need on iPhone in order to collect the signal from the (also unofficial) transmitters, MiaoMiao (which I have) and Nightrider (which @Scott-C uses). Android phones use Glimp or xdrip+ to do the same thing. Spike works on iPhones 5 and above (I can’t download TestFlight on my old 4) because it doesn’t scan the Libre directly.

The MiaoMiao and nightrider transmitters sit on the Libre sensor and “ping’ it every five minutes using the same signal that the official scanner and phone app use. They then send the data to your phone via Bluetooth and Spike uses a similar, but slightly different algorithm to process the data to give you a value. When you connect to Spike with a new sensor, it asks for a blood glucose reading so it can calibrate against it - giving it a huge advantage over the official app and scanner, as Libre is factory calibrated and isn’t always very close to a blood reading (taking the 15 minute lag of a sensor reading into account, as it measures interstitial fluid, the juice between the cells). I calibrate mine every morning and at bedtime.

So once Spike is connected (very simple to set up), it plots the five minute readings, plus any on demand ones you choose to do, on a graph, similar to the scanner and Libre app. In the settings, you can choose your BG range, and set alarms to go off when you go low, high, falling or rising fast - and for certain times of day. For example, I have all the alarms switched on at night - but just the “urgent low” one during the day. You can also have the data pushed to a variety of smart watches, I use an old Pebble Steel I got for £26 on eBay.

One feature of Spike I find really useful is the full screen mode - I use my phone with it active as a nightlight on a stand on my bedside table while it’s charging. Basically it displays a massive number with a trend arrow that even my blurry eyes can make out!

View attachment 28072

You can also install Spike on other devices on the same WiFi network and they’ll also display the values. If you want to get really nerdy, you can set up a Nightscout account, and anyone with an internet connection and your personal secret code can see your numbers - it’s quite an involved process but I managed it with zero programming knowledge. It’s especially useful for me, as I’m home alone a lot, so my husband can keep half an eye on me when we’re apart. I wanted him to have that capability because I’ve just started using a pump, and wasn’t sure if I’d be having lots of hypos. We’ve set his up so an alarm goes off if I drop to 3mmol, and if I don’t answer when he phones to check on me, he can call for help. We’ve not needed to do that, but it’s very reassuring to know I have that safety net.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks fully explained

BrixtonType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve down loaded spike and I’m ready to buy was not sure what to do newb just have been reading you all and working out what I’m doing going to get the Libre patch and start from there when I get it and I need more help I shout back thanks

Reactions: LooperCat

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve down loaded spike and I’m ready to buy was not sure what to do newb just have been reading you all and working out what I’m doing going to get the Libre patch and start from there when I get it and I need more help I shout back thanks
Cool, just be aware that Spike doesn’t do anything unless you have a transmitter. What model iPhone are you using?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The one I use is called MiaoMiao, and it’s only available direct from them - they take around ten days to arrive from China and are about £160 - www.miaomiao.cool - MiaoMiao is waterproof and rechargeable, which is why I chose it. A charge lasts about a month, and you can charge it while wearing it. They are labelled in such a way that there was no customs charges to pay. It’s very flat and comfortable to sleep on, I barely notice I’m wearing it. It’s a good idea to order some of their specially shaped sticky patches to nail it to your skin at the same time. I attach it using those and Skin Tac wipes, and it holds for about a week before needing any extra tape - I stick a bit of rock tape or a tegaderm plaster over the top if it’s lookimg like it might come loose.

@Scott-C uses an American one called a Blucon Nightrider - https://www.ambrosiasys.com/ - with the customs charges (their packaging and labelling means you have to pay VAT and import duty, plus the Post Office fees) it works out around £20 less than mine. It uses a coin battery which lasts the two week life of the Libre sensor, and needs to be removed for showers and baths. I think he uses some sort of Velcro arrangement to hold it on.

This YouTube video compares the two, and is well worth a look: