Every Thing Or Not?

peterplys

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am a newbie from Denmark. I have never been diagnosed with T2D. My interest, and also my concern, is due to seeing my wife who has been diagnosed with T2D 13 years back, including many complications. We have a long marriage behind us. I have read a lot and believe to understand quite a bit, but I am also puzzled.

This is about myself. I am 74 male. I have a HbA1c around 38-39 (mol/mol (IFCC)) (5.6-5.7 (DCCT/NGSP)), constant for many years. My weight was 111-112 kg (17,5-17.6 stones). I have managed to loose weight twice, significantly, first from 106 kg to 86 kg 20 years ago, but I didn’t last. Height 178 cm (5' 10”), was slightly higher. Overweight no discussion. But I have always carried my weight without problems. Two years ago I realised that my blood pressure was higher than normal 150/100 against 130/85. With Losartan (my only medication) it is down to 130/90 and now lately to 124/80 and I might be able soon to reduce dosis from 2 x 50 mg to half.

My concern goes like this. I am convinced that insulin resistance could be the culprit, and so to speak it will only be a matter of time before a T2 diagnosis will be a fact.

Why wait, I will rather act now. Pre diabetic is not so much discussed by doctors. It seems they wait until a label = diagnosis can be placed, then they roll out the full regime.

For one thing I am determined to loose weight, and I am now on my way with LCHF since mid July. So far 6 kg down almost one stone.

But then there is the Dawn phenomenon, maybe? However my observations are the same during the day as well. 2-3 hours after a meal my BG is fine typically 5.2 mmol/L (94 mg/dl), but then after a total of 4-5 hours it rises to 6.2 mol/L (111 mg/dl), a bit to high in my opinion, and next morning some times even up to 6.4 mmol/ (115 mg/dl).

Any thoughts are welcome.

(My platform is Apple Mac OS newest version, I prefer a computer over iPad/iPhone)

peterplys

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am not sure how the headline became
Every Thing Or Not?
Not my choice

Reactions: trick60

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I fail to see a concern with those numbers at all ... none

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You may have metabolic syndrome/insulin resistance if you're overweight, have high fasting blood sugar & high blood pressure but if you're eating an LCHF diet then progression to type 2 diabetes is not necessarily a given. Your higher fasting blood sugar could also be a result of adaptive glucose sparing (aka physiologic insulin resistance) if you're eating very low carb - this is perfectly normal.

If I were you I would stick to LCHF & just keep an eye on things (it appears that things are already improving for you :) )

Reactions: Prem51

peterplys

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you Safi

Since 15. July I have really tried to do LC-HF. There have been 3 big family occasions, and even if I have done my best to be strict, it is disturbing.
Also I have probably not explained my BG situation clear enough. Before the low carb diet did not se BG readings lower than 5.7 and they could be up to 6.2-6.4, so to me there is no doubt that the low carbon diet already has had effect on BG, on BP, on waistline and weight. 5 to 6 kg is only a start. But that said, my prime goal was to obtain a better BG, creating more distance to any danger zone, I know I am not T2, but I want to move away from that risk. Weight was somewhat secondary, but I certainly take that as a plus.
Therefore I have been puzzled about the morning rises, they are not only morning but also during the day.
I haven't mentioned exercise, but the is some progress going on, at least more than before.

Yesterday I had smoked macrille, fried in butter on a pan, not much carb there. But earlier some ryebread. The total for yesterday was 39 grams of carbon, where I usually have only 20 (25) gram. At 11 pm , 3 hours after the big meal BG was 4.9 (≈ 88), quite unusual it has only happened once before and more surprisingly to day at 10 am fasting BG was only 5.2 (≈ 94). But then after late breakfast plus 4 hours it was 6.2 (≈ 111). I was not at home, but if I had measured BG after 2-3 hours I bet it would have lower.

I take your advice and continue, and se where it takes me in the next three months.

In the mean time I will study adaptive glucose sparing, but there is probably not so much one can do about it.
Hopefully a low carbon diet will - over time - reduce the amount of free flowing insulin to a lower level, when the body does not have to deal with so many carbs.

Reactions: Safi

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not sure how the headline became
Every Thing Or Not?
Not my choice
Seems like you blood glucose levels are perfectly normal so nothing to worry about there but low carb will help you loose weight if you need to

P

pollensa

I am a newbie from Denmark. I have never been diagnosed with T2D. My interest, and also my concern, is due to seeing my wife who has been diagnosed with T2D 13 years back, including many complications. We have a long marriage behind us. I have read a lot and believe to understand quite a bit, but I am also puzzled.

This is about myself. I am 74 male. I have a HbA1c around 38-39 (mol/mol (IFCC)) (5.6-5.7 (DCCT/NGSP)), constant for many years. My weight was 111-112 kg (17,5-17.6 stones). I have managed to loose weight twice, significantly, first from 106 kg to 86 kg 20 years ago, but I didn’t last. Height 178 cm (5' 10”), was slightly higher. Overweight no discussion. But I have always carried my weight without problems. Two years ago I realised that my blood pressure was higher than normal 150/100 against 130/85. With Losartan (my only medication) it is down to 130/90 and now lately to 124/80 and I might be able soon to reduce dosis from 2 x 50 mg to half.

My concern goes like this. I am convinced that insulin resistance could be the culprit, and so to speak it will only be a matter of time before a T2 diagnosis will be a fact.

Why wait, I will rather act now. Pre diabetic is not so much discussed by doctors. It seems they wait until a label = diagnosis can be placed, then they roll out the full regime.

For one thing I am determined to loose weight, and I am now on my way with LCHF since mid July. So far 6 kg down almost one stone.

But then there is the Dawn phenomenon, maybe? However my observations are the same during the day as well. 2-3 hours after a meal my BG is fine typically 5.2 mmol/L (94 mg/dl), but then after a total of 4-5 hours it rises to 6.2 mol/L (111 mg/dl), a bit to high in my opinion, and next morning some times even up to 6.4 mmol/ (115 mg/dl).

Any thoughts are welcome.

(My platform is Apple Mac OS newest version, I prefer a computer over iPad/iPhone)

Hello, not a doc, re your BG levels, although residing in Mallorca Spain and there is the situation generally worldwide of variations cut off values and thresholds differ "all" of which are arbitrary set anyway, however, based on your info and vlue levels in Mallorca i.e.......

Fasting cut off is 110mg/dl anything below this is Normal range
2hr after eat cut off is 140mg/dl below this Normal Range
Random anytime after eat breakfast cut off 200mg/dl anything below is normal range.

Re 2hr periods, if you are correct and as I understand correctly, it would seem your levels albeit it 2 hrs after eat are normal your below 140mg/dl, the times after 2 hrs one falls into bracket of Random anytime cut off value threshold, and to be below 200mg/dl again, you seem to be below this as normal range.

If you have doubt, perhaps, inform Doctor your levels, and or take them for a week, presenting them, regards more confirmation to give peace of mind?

Hope this assists in someway.

Mallorca.

PS if you put into google type words "94mg/dl 2hr good or bad" a site comes up sugars good or bad, shows and gives confirmation of BG, keep in mind I think its American, of course, their levels differ for example their cut off for fasting is 100mg/dl compared to Spain which is 110mg/. It is good as confirms whether your normal, slightly too high, or two low and gives the guide that you should be under the test